Central Coast 2021

Woody

I started a thread a couple weeks back regarding Central Coast that was promptly shut down.
I was looking to confirm a rumour I was told regarding the heltsuk nation telling all operators of the Central coast lodges to not plan on operating for the 2021 season, despite the entire Heltsuk nation now being vaccinated, including everyone on Cambell & Denny islands.

Well, I can CONFIRM, that I have now seen this letter with my own eyes.
Our groups reservation at Shearwater was cancelled last year, and carried forward to 2021.
Not sounding promising for this summer now either.
Not sure how these operators feel having to force close for a 2nd year, but not sure how they would ever be able to open in future without very deep pockets.
I understand Shearwater plans to fight this.
Sure hope they can work something out!

I started a thread a couple weeks back regarding Central Coast that was promptly shut down.
I was looking to confirm a rumour I was told regarding the heltsuk nation telling all operators of the Central coast lodges to not plan on operating for the 2021 season, despite the entire Heltsuk nation now being vaccinated, including everyone on Cambell & Denny islands.

Well, I can CONFIRM, that I have now seen this letter with my own eyes.
Our groups reservation at Shearwater was cancelled last year, and carried forward to 2021.
Not sounding promising for this summer now either.
Not sure how these operators feel having to force close for a 2nd year, but not sure how they would ever be able to open in future without very deep pockets.
I understand Shearwater plans to fight this.
Sure hope they can work something out!
Shearwater is in a very tough position. I was up there last year in June and was the only non-resident boat at the dock at that time. (overnighted) The restaurant couldn't open, the businesses didn't know what was happening. They were being squeezed by the FN, yet they have to 'live with them'...
I have a 36 ft sailboat I spend early summers every year up north... we never experienced any problems with the FN during the 2 weeks we were in the area and anchored in several places, we even got fuel and water in Bella Bella (couldn't leave the dock though) BUT, we heard several stories later in the season when we were down in Rivers that boats had been harrassed - at anchor - by FN telling them they weren't welcome in the area, or fishing or crabbing on 'traditional territory'.
The covid outbreak has been a catalyst for FN now trying to flex their muscles in 'their territory'.
I personally have no bone to pick with FN and I believe that they have specific rights and such but I draw the line at being cast out of public lands and resources that we all pay taxes to support and maintain.
I think that the lodges north of Caution are going to have some tough times ahead, I wish them well.
Just my .02 worth... PS: I'm heading up there in June again this year.

I have written and deleted a few messages so this thread doesn't get banned to quick..... complete crap, not breaking a single Canadian law to go boating or fishing in Canadian waters, plain and simple. This is going to get messy....see you out there, I am going anyway.

Back