Shearwater situation?

Eden Island

I travelled to the Central Coast three times before my kid was born, but recent reports are concerning as I need fish freezing facilities in the area. Things I wonder [and what I've heard].

1. Can you still trailer off the ferry in Shearwater, launch and leave a vehicle and trailer? [I think so]

2. Will Shearwater freeze fish for non-hotel guests? [They used to do it at the store, but I don't know now]

3. Is the store and pub still available to sportfishers? [It was in 2021, but I don't know now]

Any updates or other info appreciated. This is my fantasy retirement trip!

I'm a cruising and fishing guy, and there's a massive amount of protected water, with lots of opportunity to pop out into open water when conditions are good. In a 16' boat, we were able to go from Bella Coola to Bella Bella, Shearwater, Namu, Rivers Inlet, Ocean Falls and Klemtu - all without getting into really exposed water. And go out to the Goose Group and Hakai.

Hard to achieve anything like it on the westcoast inlets of Vancouver Island.

That area is funny......productivity swings wildly from one year to the next. When it's on....omg it's good. Then there is the other side of that.....I remember 2006 or 07....lucky to get one or 2 springs per guest a trip...trips up there in the last decade have been hit or miss. Nice area to fish though. 2020 was a bad year too.

That area is funny......productivity swings wildly from one year to the next. When it's on....omg it's good. Then there is the other side of that.....I remember 2006 or 07....lucky to get one or 2 springs per guest a trip...trips up there in the last decade have been hit or miss. Nice area to fish though. 2020 was a bad year too.
2006-2008 was bad everywhere if i recall correctly.

What I saw last summer in Shearwater were some really nice helpful people working in the store, pub, fuel dock + hotel etc but completely run ragged because they had insufficient help to do their jobs.

Long waits at the pub—-not server’s fault. Store ran out of ice—-not the store’s fault—just no help to freeze up additional blocks

Yes, hit or miss fishing.....huge explosion of boats in the last few years which doesn’t help....thank the Lord for coho—-without them there’d be some long faces for some of the lodges in the area

What I saw last summer in Shearwater were some really nice helpful people working in the store, pub, fuel dock + hotel etc but completely run ragged because they had insufficient help to do their jobs.

Long waits at the pub—-not server’s fault. Store ran out of ice—-not the store’s fault—just no help to freeze up additional blocks

Yes, hit or miss fishing.....huge explosion of boats in the last few years which doesn’t help....thank the Lord for coho—-without them there’d be some long faces for some of the lodges in the area
Is there anywhere to get large amounts of ice for coolers?

Is there anywhere to get large amounts of ice for coolers?
Haven't been up there for a couple years, but you used to be able to get flake ice from the fish plant over by the Bella Bella ferry dock. That is when it's running. Not sure what the season is. Liquor store in Bella Bella used to run an ice maker and keep a freezer full of bagged cube ice.

Back