Centerpin Line for Salmon (suggestions)

Anything much more then 20 lbs maxima or similar you got a good chance in wrecking the reel there not built for chinooks they’ll bend stuff!
I use mr2 when I’m float fishing for springs or a levelwind

I would use 20lb Ultragreen but put some 30lb braid on first for backing, this helps cushion the spool and protect it from warping.

^^^^^^^^^^^this all day long^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have two spools—-one with 15 lb Maxima Ultra Green for steelhead, one spool with 20 lb Maxima ULtra Green for river chinook

This picture from last week.....spring chinook! —-best eating fish ever..........Ultra Green is as good as it gets for mono line—-salt chuck or river......I wouldn’t let braid anywhere near my Hardy Silex collection, though. I use the type of running line you find on fly reels—-a bit more forgiving then braid for absorption and compression....these are really old Super Silexes and Longstones, though—-you could probably blow up a spool with too much line pressure

33128022-6AC4-4603-9F0C-5DD681AE4E2D.jpeg
CFF2058A-9554-4734-B52C-ECD50CE0D8F4.jpegp

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

My friend fishes 50 pound Berkley braid (bright yellow and olive). Good idea or bad idea? Fishing one of the
^^^^^^^^^^^this all day long^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have two spools—-one with 15 lb Maxima Ultra Green for steelhead, one spool with 20 lb Maxima ULtra Green for river chinook

This picture from last week.....spring chinook! —-best eating fish ever..........Ultra Green is as good as it gets for mono line—-salt chuck or river......I wouldn’t let braid anywhere near my Hardy Silex collection, though. I use the type of running line you find on fly reels—-a bit more forgiving then braid for absorption and compression....these are really old Super Silexes and Longstones, though—-you could probably blow up a spool with too much line pressure

View attachment 93218
View attachment 93219p
Thanks. Nice. Fish. Are you finding the chinook are early this year with the early freshet? Headed to the Atnarko and wondering if my typical timing might be a bit late.

I prefer a Hi Vis mono on my Silexes, Makes it easier for these old eyes to follow the float. Play the fish right and you dont need anything over 20lb test.
Your timing is a little late for the Atnarko. There will be fish there for sure but they will be starting to darken. Have a great trip !!!

CRGreg

Thanks everyone for the responses.

My friend fishes 50 pound Berkley braid (bright yellow and olive). Good idea or bad idea? Fishing one of the

Thanks. Nice. Fish. Are you finding the chinook are early this year with the early freshet? Headed to the Atnarko and wondering if my typical timing might be a bit late.
i prefer mono over braid for sure. braid has no stretch which is great for certain applications but not for centerpin fishing in my personal opinion.

I see some good rods using a newer line, kinda red/brown in color, like a new version of Chameleon...think they get from shops like Freds...

Back