Caution!! - Phantom Snag at Sandheads

Morty

I accidently created a phantom snag in the Sandheads area. It's about 1km directly north of the Sandheads station.

Got snagged up on a crab trap and my weight clip opened and the cannonball broke off. End result was the weight caused the trap float to sink. Didn't think to get Lat Lon off my plotter when I was still at the boat. will post that Saturday.

Please take care in that area.

Last edited:
I accidently created a phantom snag in the Sandheads area. It's about 1km directly north of the Sandheads station.

Got snagged up on a crab trap and my weight clip opened and the cannonball broke off. End result was the weight caused the trap float to sink. Didn't think to get Lat Lon off my plotter when I was still at the boat. will post that Saturday.

Please take care in that area.

Been there for some reason these guys are leaving prawn traps around salmon rock and I hooked onto it and got my other line stuck in the prop. If it were someone else that trap could of been savaged but there are a lot of poachers out there and I choose not to be like those people.

Last year fishing sockeye we snagged a sketchy homemade buoy and lost a cannonball and a full flasher/hootchie set up

Last year fishing sockeye we snagged a sketchy homemade buoy and lost a cannonball and a full flasher/hootchie set up

I dont like the fact that there are even more creative ways to lose a cannonball. I hear the capilano has thousands so even bouncing bottom could end your fishing day.

Article i found reading about traps
https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/feds-coast-guard-seize-over-200-illegal-crab-traps-near-delta/
Would be illegal to hide your trap under be water to avoid poaching so i see why leaving the traps where you can watch them. But prawn traps dont need to be left overnight.

If true about Capilano lead deposit, then maybe some guys with scuba gear can make some cash on the side. even if they're under a bit of sand, a metal detector should show where they are.

Back