Catfish?

dfrase

I have heard there is catfish in Elk lake....anyone have any knowledge about what lakes around vic they are in and how to catch them?

eah I used to live near beaver/elk , and yeah the there is catfish in there, all I used to use to catch them was a worm and a 12" leader with a weight , catfish with eat preety much anything, hotdogs would probly work, Ive also seen carp in there too, in huge schools

just do some hunting on the web on how to fish for catfish and try it out - I am sure there is lots of info out there.

I use to catch catfish from Elk lake years ago. We would fish a worm off the bottom and we caught a few of them. The best place I found to fish for catfish was at the south end near the picnic area. There is a big parking lot right there. Walk down the path to the first set of rocks and cast out from there. I'm sure they'll be in other places in the lake but thats where I use to go. hope this helps.

Yeah I found I had the best luck In beaver lake just of the rocks, Almost every cast with a new worm on id get one, I dont think Id eat anything out of those lake though, pretty grungy

How do catfish fight? are they strong fish or do they come in like dead weight?? thanks.

The catfish I use to catch were at least 1 1/2 pounds to 2 pounds. They fight pretty good at first then they try and stick themselves to the bottom. After that they tend to relax and come in has just being heavy. I think it was summer time when I was out fishing.... maybe spring time would be good too. Use a bit of floating power bait and you might catch trout as well as catfish.... just a thought.

Are you talking about bullheads? Those are the only catfish I am aware of on VI...
Just out of curiosity, why the decision to pursue catfish?
[?]

Hey,

I used to LOVE fishing cats on the east coast. We used to get some real bruisers up to 20lbs in montreal, all the way down to virginia.

If the cats arent used to being fished, a simple set up works. Any set up that will hold bottom, and a worm.

If they are a little picky, I would put an 'egg sinker' before my swivel, put about 24 inches of leader tied strait to the swivel. Depending on the size of the cat, choose the hook, and bait with worm, or seriously, just anything that actual food and smells bad. hot dogs work for bigger fish, but worms are better if the fish are only 1, 2lbs. Cast out, when your weight his bottom, tighten your line but try not to move your bait too much. Then, loosen you drag to the point where its almost a free spools. Once you hear the "ZZZZZZZ", put your left hand on your reel, set the hook, then tighten your drag as fast as you can, and reel in!!

I love the second method. I like hearing the fish go, especially because we used to fish them at night the most.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

" I would put an 'egg sinker' before my swivel, put about 24 inches of leader tied strait to the swivel. "

I use this method for trout, except I dont use worms from the bottom I use... < family sekret > rhymes with Merkly Mower Mait... use small hooks and just enough Merkly Mower Mait to get it to float 24-30 Inches off the bottom and I promise you'll be into the lunkers, with this method my Mom holds the un official lake record for Peppers Lake in Alberta for largest Brook Trout, Un Official because after 15 years of non fishing the night she started she hooked into a monster < 8.7lbs > and we couldnt report it cuz she had no license... </3

Klink

the fish I was catching in beaver lake were catfish, not bullheads, and it was the summertime when i was catching them, couldnt keep off the line, catfish are bottomfeeders and will eat anything

hey nitnat,

bullheads are a type of catfish. One of the smaller kinds of catfish.

Possibly tasty, depending on the water you catch them in.

Back