Catch Greenlings for bait

ILHG

Crew Member
Folks, I would appreciate any advice I can get on the most productive way to target & catch Greenlings. I will be heading up to Hippa Lodge in a couple weeks & plan on targeting some monster lings with live Greenlings.
I would like to avoid wasting time trying to figure out the best way to get bait & instead be soaking bait.

My plan is to drop down live Greenlings over deeper pinnacles (~200-350'). My thoughts are that the larger Lings will be deeper..?..

Thanks

I hope you don't plan on killing a large ling?.. Nothing worse than seeing large dead females at the dock. The biggest lings will occupy the prime feeding locations not necessarily the deepest reefs..

I've found the most Greenlings hiding in holes in the reef-that's what it felt like anyway using light Bass gear I'd bounce a small White Bucktail jig maybe with a Pink worm trailer along the bottom and as soon as it dropped into a hole BAM.

I hope you don't plan on killing a large ling?.. Nothing worse than seeing large dead females at the dock. The biggest lings will occupy the prime feeding locations not necessarily the deepest reefs..

Nope, I sure don't. She will be going back. I generally keep 12-20 lb fish for eating.

Gents, I should have stated that I plan on releasing the big girl.

@ILHG - you’re mean. Poor little Kelp Greenling’s, gonna be swimming around screaming “help meeeee!” Then they’re gonna accept their fate and be like “just eat me and end my misery”.

You should be ashamed.

We find them in shallow, 20-60 ft. near the kelp, and use small lead jigs and curly tail jigs and do pretty good.

Greenling - Shallow kelp beds , right in the white water tight to the kelp. I found they don't stray to far from cover up in the gwaii.

Ling - Deeper does not always translate to bigger when it comes to lings, look for areas with high tidal flow and drift over them, lings do not fish well on slack tides I've found, need some current.

P.s , an even easier and arguably as good bait to find would be to load up on small sole and flatfish right off the barge, usually easier to come by , time saver

Greenling - Shallow kelp beds , right in the white water tight to the kelp. I found they don't stray to far from cover up in the gwaii.

Ling - Deeper does not always translate to bigger when it comes to lings, look for areas with high tidal flow and drift over them, lings do not fish well on slack tides I've found, need some current.

P.s , an even easier and arguably as good bait to find would be to load up on small sole and flatfish right off the barge, usually easier to come by , time saver
X2 on the sand dabs

Great advice!! Those sand dabs would be a good bait. I think will try that off the barge in the evening.

I guess Depth is not a big factor, but I’m sure big bait is.

Much appreciated!!

You want small bait, so they can get it in their mouth. Need aggressive lings to hold onto big bait unhooked all the way to the boat, usually happens when the tide's rippin. Smaller baits gives you some margin for when they bite half assed. My experience anyways,

fb

ILHG, does your new rig have a livewell?

Yes it does have a live well but currently no water connection. It should be simple enough to do. My thought was just to use the raw water wash down to keep the water fresh.

I plan on trying to put some live herring into it.

Yes it does have a live well but currently no water connection. It should be simple enough to do. My thought was just to use the raw water wash down to keep the water fresh.

I plan on trying to put some live herring into it.
Ya if you want to keep them alive you need oxygenation in the water. I have installed one before, its not too bad but I don't think you'll have time for this trip. I have also used a portable livewell in large coolers which worked awesome. I actually used it ice fishing of all things. If you think you can use it I'll send it down in the mail. Let me know! I have no use for it anymore...

https://www.amazon.ca/Marine-Metal-...=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_17m4uoluuj_e

Use of fish for bait
When sport fishing, you may not waste any fish suitable for human consumption. However, you are allowed to use fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine as bait when fishing with traps.

simple cant use a good fish to satisfy you needs

Back