Canvas Snap Tool

Baxter

I have a couple broken snaps on my canvas roof (just the part that goes through the canvas is broken). Going to buy the tool and fix this up soon, but wondering if anyone can recommend an inexpensive tool to purchase?

I was going to just order one from Amazon (perhaps the one in the link below) - but not really sure if it is the way to go. Any recommendations? The one from Amazon hurts a little considering it is just a cheap pair of vice grips with the bits welded on, and considering the high end tools are like 2-$300 which seems bat-**** crazy.

Also, are all these snaps the same size? Is it standard? I have no idea how to tell what size is on the boat.

Hmm... that's not a bad idea - only downside is I would have to pull the roof off the boat to do it, can't do it in place... Guess I have to decided how much money my time is worth :D:rolleyes:

I bought a “heavy Duty” snap tool kit off Amazon and the snaps are absolute horse$h!t. The tool itself is great but the snaps have all come off. Cheap tin garbage. Where abouts are you located? Maybe someone has one around you.

I bought a “heavy Duty” snap tool kit off Amazon and the snaps are absolute horse$h!t. The tool itself is great but the snaps have all come off. Cheap tin garbage. Where abouts are you located? Maybe someone has one around you.
I am in Comox. Good to know the Amazon snaps are trash. Ya, I'd pay for the snaps and bring a couple beer with me :)

If I have to buy, perhaps I will just buy at Parker Marine - I imagine they sell the snaps. I'll check.

I’d go to an actual canvas shop and see if you can’t get some from them. At least you get to get a feel for them.

I am in Comox. Good to know the Amazon snaps are trash. Ya, I'd pay for the snaps and bring a couple beer with me :)

If I have to buy, perhaps I will just buy at Parker Marine - I imagine they sell the snaps. I'll check.
If you're ever down in Victoria, I have one you can borrow

the snaps are called “ Line 24 “snaps. as was suggested just go buy a few off a canvas supplier or also a leather shop. i have a setter in CR but it’s the anvil type which will require removal from your boat to set them properly. plus i’m wicked busy this week but if you can wait i can do it for you next week or something. you and i have horse traded some fishing gear before years ago.

I ordered a new boat cover from Greatlakes boat tops several years ago and bought their tool to put the snaps on. It is also a pair of vice grips with the anvils welded on but it is pretty robust. The trick to using these is to squeeze the halves together in at least two passes. The jaws won’t line up square to each other if you close them to the finishing position to start with.
I’m in Chemainus and you’re welcome to borrow mine but gas might cost more than ordering them from Amazon.

the snaps are called “ Line 24 “snaps. as was suggested just go buy a few off a canvas supplier or also a leather shop. i have a setter in CR but it’s the anvil type which will require removal from your boat to set them properly. plus i’m wicked busy this week but if you can wait i can do it for you next week or something. you and i have horse traded some fishing gear before years ago.
Ahh yes. I remember you. Appreciate the offer but…

I called Eldorado Upholstery in Courtenay. They said the snaps are about $1 and said 10 min or so labour. Not sure the hourly rate but either way still cheaper than the gas to get to CR!
Because I only need to do two I’ll probably do that. I’ll regret it later though when another breaks I’m sure. Will probably order a tool at some point.

Last edited:
Back