Canucks 2021 Season

A Lotto team, that can’t be good.
The odds of winning are approximately 1 in 14 million. :cool:
That's about right for the Canucks chances of winning the lottery and the first overall pick! First overall will go to some team that finishes 3 points out of the playoffs, and the Canucks will fall 3 spots and pick 6th or 7th. I think they always forget to put the Canucks ping pong balls in the selection machine.

Good teams draft well and are very good at managing the cap. The Canucks drafting has been spotty, wins on Petterson, Hughes and Boeser, clear screwups on Virtanen and Juolevi ( instead of Tkachuk! ) and don't forget they took McCann one spot ahead of Pastrnak, then gave him away for a terrible defenseman in Gudbranson. Not much to show for their other picks. Cap management has been awful, 6 million on Erickson, 3 million for too long on Beagle, they are stuck with Roussel taking stupid penalties for another season at 3 million, Sutter 4.5, million. paying Baertschi millions to play in the AHL. Canucks have 23 million in cap space going to 4th liners, guys sitting in the pressbox, playing in the AHL, or no longer playing. At least Sutter and Baertschi contracts will be gone next season. They aren't going to be competitive until they clear the bad contracts , which isn't until the 22/23 season. Until then they should keep their picks, plan for putting together a team that can compete, and not make any more dumb free agent signings.
signing Jake and letting Toffoli walk was the final straw for me. that was some of the worst asset management i’ve seen and i’ve been a fan for a long time. they traded a pick and Madden for Toffoli and he just walks because Jimbonhad some pending deals with Schmidt and Markstrom. toffoli is making peanuts in Mtl i think 4 mill/ yr.
plus he wanted to be here with his buddy Tanner Pearson. it’s a bad look. i’ve defended Jimbo for a long long time but this one really stings

signing Jake and letting Toffoli walk was the final straw for me. that was some of the worst asset management i’ve seen and i’ve been a fan for a long time. they traded a pick and Madden for Toffoli and he just walks because Jimbonhad some pending deals with Schmidt and Markstrom. toffoli is making peanuts in Mtl i think 4 mill/ yr.
plus he wanted to be here with his buddy Tanner Pearson. it’s a bad look. i’ve defended Jimbo for a long long time but this one really stings
Yup JV and asset management doesn't sit well with me either as JB is now looking for a top 9 forward with very few options available to him. Cap and Covid has his hands tied and any panic trade without a solid return will be the end of him. What do I know but ownership/JB need to do something as I am sure they are feeling the heat big time. So my guess at this point would be to steer the media circus in another direction at least by changing out the assistant coaches as an interim move.
I got a feeling Jake is one of those guys who practices well but just can't bring it to the show. Another thing is Hoglander softens the blow somewhat but unfortunately unlike Toffoli he hasn't found the back of the net as yet. That needs to happen and the Toffoli debacle will eventually subside.

I’m not a big analytics guy but I’m at home for a week with a newborn so I had some free time. I checked into our record from last year against Canadian teams. We were 5-10-0 last year or 10 of 30 available points. 33% of available points.

This year we are 8-14-2 so 18 of 48 potential points. 38% of available points. So we are actually having a better year against Canadian teams. The body language sure would say otherwise. But man, if half of peteys shots off a post had gone in, we might be in a very different position.

I’m not a big analytics guy but I’m at home for a week with a newborn so I had some free time. I checked into our record from last year against Canadian teams. We were 5-10-0 last year or 10 of 30 available points. 33% of available points.

This year we are 8-14-2 so 18 of 48 potential points. 38% of available points. So we are actually having a better year against Canadian teams. The body language sure would say otherwise. But man, if half of peteys shots off a post had gone in, we might be in a very different position.
if the season had continued normally with out the break and the play in Canucks would have been mathematically defeated. They broke Markstroms groin playing him too much in the regular season and he broke it again in the playoffs. he hid a lot of their flaws; the main being this team couldnt defend the net even if they were playing with an oversized beach ball.

if the season had continued normally with out the break and the play in Canucks would have been mathematically defeated. They broke Markstroms groin playing him too much in the regular season and he broke it again in the playoffs. he hid a lot of their flaws; the main being this team couldnt defend the net even if they were playing with an oversized beach ball.
this is the 1st time they've had a decent break to work on a few things and hopefully get their **** together, might be too late but lets see if the break turns things around for them, I think it just might, but then I might be dreaming too haha.

Yeah that scenario with JV vs Toffoli really was disappointing as I have been over Jake for 2 years. He cares more about his social life than being a good team mate.

Yeah that scenario with JV vs Toffoli really was disappointing as I have been over Jake for 2 years. He cares more about his social life than being a good team mate.
there was no room to sign tofolli even without jv, when they brought in scmidt that was the end of any chance of tofolli staying, they needed a d man more than another top 6 forward knowing there was a chance hoglander and the russian would be here soon. the other cap mess with eriksson , sutter and luongo is the main reason, the nhl is screwing them on the luongo cap hit, withought that tofolli would still be here imho

Great overall team effort and result. Looks like Hamonic has steadied Hughes and Schmidt is rounding into form.
Finally got some bounces against Winnipeg which is a welcome change. Will see what tonight brings us.

Great overall team effort and result. Looks like Hamonic has steadied Hughes and Schmidt is rounding into form.
Finally got some bounces against Winnipeg which is a welcome change. Will see what tonight brings us.
yes Harmonic looks pretty decent and is a presence in front of his goalie, Schmidt is looking great. Demko is definitely the go to goalie and is showing a ton of confidence. also great to see Hoglander score, tonight should be a good one, Holtby better not allow a softy!

I am a Canucks fan, but guys, don't drink the kool-aid... We are still paying for management's big contract mistakes. Need help in the depth at "D" and over-all depth. Paid way too much for 3rd and 4th lines and putting way too much pressure on the kids.
Here's hoping for continued success, but pretty sure we will miss the playoffs in a tough North division.

I am a Canucks fan, but guys, don't drink the kool-aid... We are still paying for management's big contract mistakes. Need help in the depth at "D" and over-all depth. Paid way too much for 3rd and 4th lines and putting way too much pressure on the kids.
Here's hoping for continued success, but pretty sure we will miss the playoffs in a tough North division.
I personally don’t think the North division is very strong compared to the South like Boston, Philly and Carolina

Easy win for Winnipeg last night as the Canucks stumbled along with sub standard goaltending and lax coverage in all 3 zones. I must say a big, fast, skilled Winnipeg team won probably 90% of the pick battles but the puck consistently feel to their feet. Some crazy bounces that went their way all night. No excuses as the Canucks don't deserve much sympathy.
Other than the Leafs this year I tend to agree that the Eastern USA division is probably the toughest to get through.
A Canadian team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since I don't know when but with 24 USA teams the odds aren't favourable. Throw on the Cap shortcomings in US $$$ along with Canadian taxes, etc, etc it's a long shot for success.
My theory as a start is to level the playing field by somehow measuring the salary cap in Net proceedings not gross. Bettman, hello?

I think the Canucks will beat Toronto tonight by 2 goals, haha, I got 5.2 : 1 odds on the nucks on playnow sports betting, been doing pretty well on it lately (mostly not betting on the canucks) and cashed out some loot the other day. got a 4 way trixie bet with tampa by 2 over chi and islanders by 2 over sabers.

I think the Canucks will beat Toronto tonight by 2 goals, haha, I got 5.2 : 1 odds on the nucks on playnow sports betting, been doing pretty well on it lately (mostly not betting on the canucks) and cashed out some loot the other day. got a 4 way trixie bet with tampa by 2 over chi and islanders by 2 over sabers.
Look at you go!

Put this in the Hot Stock Tips thread hahaha

The Canucks came to play and took advantage of a tired team. Nice to see what finally happens when the shoe is on the other foot. Was scary though as the Leafs had their chances as Demko played great.
For the first time this season I think the difference was the way the Canucks came out in the 3rd and the Leafs had no real response.
We will see what the Leafs bring on Saturday night. If the Canucks can bring some additional grit like in the 3rd maybe something good would come from that.

The Canucks came to play and took advantage of a tired team. Nice to see what finally happens when the shoe is on the other foot. Was scary though as the Leafs had their chances as Demko played great.
For the first time this season I think the difference was the way the Canucks came out in the 3rd and the Leafs had no real response.
We will see what the Leafs bring on Saturday night. If the Canucks can bring some additional grit like in the 3rd maybe something good would come from that.
Demko was the #1 star, I didn't think they played well in most of the 1st 2 periods, they had so many give aways or cough ups and couldn't maintain any possession for any length of time in the offensive zone, the leafs were all over them, the canucks played rope a dope, lol, until the 3rd when the leafs ran out of gas as expected, the canucks were relentless in their checking in the 3 rd , it was a great effort but I doubt they win that game if Holtby was in net.

I got lucky last night with my bet, if I knew Petey was out I would never had made it, lol. I'm sure Demko will play again on saturday , looking forward to it.

Back