Canned Salmon Issues

I have been canning Salmon in cans for years, and occasionally some of the canned salmon is quite strong in taste compared to the rest from the same batch.
There are several salmon in each batch, as I can approximately 60 cans at a time
All of the salmon are handled the same. They are cleaned on the boat as soon as possible, and put on ice.
They are frozen, until being thawed for canning.
It appears that the majority of the stronger tasting salmon is fairly white or marbled as compared to the red.
Any ideas as to why this happens?
Lure-washer

do you have the skin on? white have a distinct smell and if the skin is not removed this can effect taste,, from my experience...

Just a hunch but could be fish slim from the skin or a bit of un noticed fish blood left in the meat....? in the process of removing the skin some of the skin slim got onto the bare meat by the cleaning table or the knife? Fish slim can cause that strong fishy taste.
After gutting and cleaning a fish I run the knife over the skin to de slim it to get as much of the slim off as I can. Then I look into the cavity of the fish and push out as much blood from the inside vein side walls.. When I get home I do a de slim again with the knife and push out as much blood as I can from all the veins that I can see and rinse with the hose as clean as I can get the fish before I put a knife into the flesh for processing.. doesn't take much slim or blood in the meat to cause a strong taste..
Do you bleed your fish right away after they come in the boat?? Cutting the gills and bleed them out makes a big difference in the meat quality.

I bleed the fish as soon as I get them in the boat.
When I gut them, I chase all of the blood out of the veins with the edge of a spoon. I cut out the gills if the head has to be left on. I scrub the outside with a brush to remove as much slime as possible, prior to gutting.
When I thaw them, I scale them with a garden hose and thoroughly wash inside and out.
For skinning, I just pull the skin off with a pair of pliers..
Lure-washer

lure-washer, are you cutting off all the brown fat off the skin side? After pulling the skin off you will have a thick brown layer, that is the fat and it taste bad. I always cut all that off and it makes a much better product. When I BBQ my fish I always turn my piece over and take the brown off before I eat it.

The white springs have more fat than a red.

When I can my fish I put in a tablespoon of vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a squeeze of Ketchup in the bottom for color and flavor.

The sections right along the lateral line have a stronger fishy taste - e.g. the grayer part in the center of the skin side of the fillets. Any chance that you're stronger tasting cans have more of this section of the fillets?

I`ve thought about the muscle causing the stronger taste over the past.
My wife usually removes this when she opens a can, and I think that on future canning, I will remove as much as practical when I can them.
Lure-washer

Back