Campion Explorer 672 Issues

I think it is great that you are listening to the collective. There are a lot of very knowledge folks on this forum, and many have been of great help to me.

Question:

Did you/Can you weight all of the stuff you just cut off the stern of your boat?

It would be interesting to know how much poundage you just removed.

Last edited:
Holy crap, you’re faster than the fire department. That grid came off in a hurry. I really hope it works out for you, especially because you want to get your boys involved. That’s a great story.
How much does that swim grid weight????, it should be ok if it’s not too heavy, definitely raise it up 4-6” if you put it back on. Your trim tab are going to help but I still don’t think it was your issue. With that motor and drive that boat should jump out of the hole in 5 seconds, then used your trim tabs just to stabilize from side to side, use your trim on your drive to get the bow up, not sure how much experience you have driving boats that size, but you will feel a sweet spot, if your bow goes too far down, it will make your boat unstable. Hope all goes well for you.
When we pulled it off I would say it was 150lbs. Swim grid is going to come up 6” I think. The boat does come out of the hole right away no issues there. The main issue was once out of the hole the listing was so bad that it was scary.

When we pulled it off I would say it was 150lbs. Swim grid is going to come up 6” I think. The boat does come out of the hole right away no issues there. The main issue was once out of the hole the listing was so bad that it was scary.
Ya well, that’s when your trim tabs shine, lift the bow up with trim on your drive so that your not bow steering, then level the boat side to side with your trim tabs done no more listing, my guess is that 5.7 is pushing your bow down, then digging the bow make it go side to side. No need for dolphin. Or bigger trim tabs just a bit of time to get use to running that boat. An extra 150lbs grid plus that kicker 100lbs sitting that far back is still making that boat heavy at the stern, so adding weight in the front might help stabilize it once you put your swim grid back on

If you plan on using the kicker, mounted in the same spot, on the grid. I’d look at where this puts it at the waterline, when tilted down. Might need a 25” leg kicker?

Put hydrofoil on anyway. You will notice a difference. Hydrofoils and trim tabs do different things. Big believer in them from running over years. They work great on inboard boats especially. Great to see the improvements.

Are you going to seatrial now that the swimgrid interceptor is removed?

does it always list to the same side?
No. Listed both sides. Some of it could have been the driver I won’t lie. I used to driving a flat bottom jet boat so I’m going through a learning curve. But with lots of tries we definitely found the boat was not performing like it should.

If you plan on using the kicker, mounted in the same spot, on the grid. I’d look at where this puts it at the waterline, when tilted down. Might need a 25” leg kicker?
Yes that’s definitely going to help decide how high to put it. Once I do the trial with the grid off I want to get the idea of how high I have to go vs how I need to go. Give myself a couple inches extra and mount there. My kicker looks like the impeller intake is 13 inches below the bottom of the swim grid now. So if I lift it 6 I think I’ll be ok.

Could it be an issue with the steering ? I’ve had air in my hydraulic steering and it felt kind of similar to what you are explaining . The boat would want to lean over and turn on its own and without a correction to the wheel early , it got a little squirrely. Probably not the issue but thought I’d mention it just incase . I don’t see how the grid would be the issue if the boat jumps out of the hole just fine but then struggles once on plane . You’d think the grid would be well out of the water on plane.

Could it be an issue with the steering ? I’ve had air in my hydraulic steering and it felt kind of similar to what you are explaining . The boat would want to lean over and turn on its own and without a correction to the wheel early , it got a little squirrely. Probably not the issue but thought I’d mention it just incase . I don’t see how the grid would be the issue if the boat jumps out of the hole just fine but then struggles once on plane . You’d think the grid would be well out of the water on plane.
I thought the same thing in regards to the grid not being the issue. Seems like the grid would be mostly out of the water when the boat is up on plane. Could certainly be air in the hydraulic steering causing it slop side to side.

Wouldn't you feel that in the wheel?
I would imagine someone with a few years on the water and previous experience with a properly handling boat may be able to feel it. If the boat is all over the place I would guess he’s trying pretty hard to keep it straight. I recall my one I/O lake boat had hydraulic steering and there was zero feedback at the wheel. Unlike a hydraulic seastar system in my Pursuit.

I thought the same thing in regards to the grid not being the issue. Seems like the grid would be mostly out of the water when the boat is up on plane. Could certainly be air in the hydraulic steering causing it slop side to side.
Like an old dodge,, I have own too many I/o over a 25 year span, power steering pump on I/o are not as stiff has my sea star , In most case I could spin the steering wheel with 1 finger on my I/o not on my sea star, he could have air pocket in his lines but if he does there is a distinctive sound that come out of the pump, almost the same has if he low on steering fluid, easy to check, still doubt it’s his issue, can’t wait to see, how he does with the sea trial now that the grid is off

Like an old dodge,, I have own too many I/o over a 25 year span, power steering pump on I/o are not as stiff has my sea star , In most case I could spin the steering wheel with 1 finger on my I/o not on my sea star, he could have air pocket in his lines but if he does there is a distinctive sound that come out of the pump, almost the same has if he low on steering fluid, easy to check, still doubt it’s his issue, can’t wait to see, how he does with the sea trial now that the grid is off
Update: with the swim grid off I’ve filled every hole in the transom with putty and the glassed over every one. Waiting for it to fully dry before dipping it Sunday. I’m not a pro glasser by any means but I feel like the water will definitely stay out. The transom was not wet which I was really happy with. I reamed out each hole until they were solid. I have posted a pic of my sketches for the swim grid with three options. It’s going back on for sure. Just higher. I would love some feedback on which sketch is best. Thanks again for all the help!!
Craig28413B2D-1509-4AA5-9777-97C3860909FA.jpeg0EF39C09-3321-41AA-BCBC-F78F91F0817D.jpegF669AC99-5056-4DF4-87D4-7B6F42C1187A.jpeg70D0BA49-A470-49DE-AC15-DFDB53044F36.jpegFB2C1819-D9B1-4832-B476-DD69BB7BE7D9.jpegD9A7B0DF-1A7D-4E1E-901C-E1215384F244.jpegFB2C1819-D9B1-4832-B476-DD69BB7BE7D9.jpeg

Update: with the swim grid off I’ve filled every hole in the transom with putty and the glassed over every one. Waiting for it to fully dry before dipping it Sunday. I’m not a pro glasser by any means but I feel like the water will definitely stay out. The transom was not wet which I was really happy with. I reamed out each hole until they were solid. I have posted a pic of my sketches for the swim grid with three options. It’s going back on for sure. Just higher. I would love some feedback on which sketch is best. Thanks again for all the help!!
CraigView attachment 79858View attachment 79859View attachment 79860View attachment 79861View attachment 79862View attachment 79863View attachment 79862
In my opinion if you close in the bottom of the swim grid it wouldn't matter where you put it as there would no longer be any drag. It would become a lifting surface. In that case maybe come the thickness of the swimgrid or whatever is required for attachment.

Back