Campion 672 Heater options?

Rednex3

I found and read a few old threads on here with regards to Espar heaters, but there isn't really too many so I figured I would just ask.

I just moved from a Campion 188 up to a 672. We loved our little boat, but desire for more adequate ladies' facilities and other conveniences in addition to more size and power landed us in the 672. Our 188 had a little bus heater that, with the top on, kept it bearable even at -4 one day's prawn fishing. The new boat has no heater at present and I am trying to figure the best way to go about having heat as well as defrosting abilities. After reading all sorts of stuff online, I have made the assumption that diesel powered heaters can be safely installed into inboard (gas) powered boats.

What have you installed in your boat? Costs? Pitfalls? Benefits (other than warmth of course)? DIY or professional install. Airtronic, Hydronic or a combination of both (Heatercraft or similar while running the main motor, diesel hydronic for nights or whenever you want to shut down the main motor) Could you use a diesel hydronic system like a block heater during winter while at the dock?

It seems that Espar is what comes up first in any conversation, but what about others. I seem to come across more complaints than rave reviews, and price point is markedly higher for Wallas heaters.

I guess my overall objective here is to comfortably use the boat year round. I would like to be able to stay out for a few days at a time and have safe heat in the cuddy during the evenings. Definately defrosting ability, which should double as a way to knock off the chill on deck with the camper canvas installed.

Thanks in advance for answers and guidance.

i installed a "bus heater" that i ordered from lordco when i had a gasser inboard.. pretty easy install. recirc lines off the cooling system, 12v to the fan motor, and done.

only deal is ya gotta idle to get it warm..

My cousin has a 682 and put in a diesel heater. Loves it.
I'll ask what his setup is. I know he just uses a 3 gallon outboard tank for the diesel.

I'd definately be interested in how he set his up. Where and how many vents does have in his system? I would imagine we both have the same cuddy layout, did he mount the heater in there?
Thanks

My cousin has a Webasto diesel heater and has 2 outlets. one blows in the cuddy and one is above the dash on the drivers side to help with foggy windows.
He says it works pretty good. They have a drop down curtain which closes off the cabin so they can stay warm while running.
The boat is an outboard version 682 so both the tank and Webasto are in the motor well.
Sorry he did not know what model he had but suspecting based on 2 outlets it is the smaller Air Top 2000

Interesting. The more I read, the more I lean towards having a diesel hot water system coupled with something like the Heatercraft systems. I think that would be able to provide comfortable heat at anchor or underway. Way I figure it, if it's warm enough on the boat and nice weather/water then I should be able to get my girls to come out more during prawn season.

One question about your cousin's setup. I imagine the fuel tank is mounted in the same place on both our boats, he just doesn't have the inboard motor leaving him with space. Is the heater mounted in the same space as the fuel tank for the main motor?

I'm kind of half wondering if I could mount a diesel fired hydronic heater with the rest of the mechanics at the back of the boat, and mount the electric system up front with the other electrical systems.

I have a Webasto at2000. It's mounted below the dash on my aluminum pilothouse. The diesel tank is below the floor with an external fill, so no diesel inside unless the tank were to leak. I would avoid any long runs of vent (ie mounting at the back of the boat) as this will really reduce the effectiveness of the heater.

I have one vent that blows into the cuddy and one vent that blows at the windshield. I also use a 12v fan to spread the defrost air across the whole windshield. Works perfect in the winter time. I'll often drop the prawn traps and anchor then read a book in my t-shirt inside. Uses barely any amperage, no problem having it on all night when on anchor without draining the battery.

Webasto has a much better reputation than Espar, but they're not cheap. There is a Russian made product that is similar that I have heard is half decent, costs about 1/2 as much. Can't remember the name of it though.

He says the heater is installed just behind the driver and vents to starboard. The ductwork runs up the starboard side.
The tank is where the inboard would be.
I have a bus heater on my boat along with the Wabasto. The bus heater does not supply near the heat the Wabasto does.
Plus I can fire up the Wabsto in the morning and have the boat toasty in 10 minutes without firing up the main.
I'd go with the diesel heater.

i have an Espar D-2 in my boat and its one of my favorite things. There a little pricey, probably close to 1500 with the marine kit. burn very little fuel and don't consume a lot of power. there great for sleepovers in the winter. best price seems to be an ebay vendor in the valley. mine is not hydronic just forced air but very effective at heating the cabin space of my 27 footer

Sure looking like a forced air heater is the way to go. Definately a little more simple to go with a single system rather than two combined for the same purpose.
I have seen that seller on Ebay as well. Thinking it might be time for a phone call to them.
Seems that at 1500, the Espar is considerately more cost effective than some of the other options. I've just about got the new boat ready to get out on, but this heater thing has got my brain running overtime.
In the winter, what do you guys who leave your boats in the water do when your boat is not in use? Just drain the manifolds and lock her up? This will be the first winter in the water for us. That was the reason I was kinda leaning toward the hydronic system.

Last edited:
i put a buss heater into my 20ft boat, puts out a lot of heat while under power, could use a booster pump while under 1200rpm to up the heat. my only regret was i installed at my right calf... gets too hot some times
next time id go for one of the models with multiple outlets, one or two for windsheid, one for driver, one for passenger.

I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm definately leaning more towards the Wallas 22dt, but want to actually see and put my hands on one in person. Biggest attraction of the Wallas for me at this time is the ability to check temperature on board and operate the heater remotely through the smartphone. It seems that nobody really carries the physical units in stock, but they can all 'order them in'. This covers Espar and Webasto as well. It's pretty hard for me to pull the trigger on such a significant purchase with out being able to look at or actually touch the product.

"Rant ON"
I'm actually pretty disappointed in most of the places I have gone and tried to get information from in person. I am trying to find and keep my purchase local (Vancouver Island, north of the Malahat) but the local suppliers make it seem like it's a bother for them and I should be grateful that they can 'order it in' for me. News flash guys; in this day and age, with online sellers and information, anybody can order it in, and generally for a better price!

Super disappointed in one supplier in Nanaimo after driving down island specifically to go in and get possibly more information than is available online, but this was a huge inconvenience for the person I spoke with. I can't say I will never go in there again, but it's gonna be a really long time after the attitude from them.
I received the same attitude from staff at a marine supplier/yard in Campbell River as well, except their attitude was even worse than store in Nanaimo. I don't really expect a store to sit me down in an EZ chair and rub my feet while endless products are brought to me for consideration, but I do expect to converse with a knowledgeable person who doesn't act like its a huge inconvenience to sell me something I've researched to the point that I know more than they do about it.
"Rant OFF"

Once I make a final determination, and do have it installed, I'll post it up. I know there's lots of these boats around, so it has to have been done before, lol!

Pretty sure Trotac carries them in stock. I know they are always pushing them at the Vancouver boat show. They have always been great to deal with for me. Worth a call at least.

Back