Diesel Heater Thru Hull

Hello gang, This is my first time on the forum but have been following for some time now. I am in the process of installing a diesel heater on my 25' Walkaround Fish hawk Fibreglass sport fish boat. I am wondering if anyone has done the same with a grady, pursuit, trophy style boat. The location of the thru hull is where im wondering if having its below the rub rail about 24" above the waterline is going to be an issue. I have the condensation trap built and will have the exhaust with a gooseneck uphill loop to prevent water ingress then it dips down to the heater location in a compartment in the cabin. I am trying my best to have it all tucked away and not exposed. A friend has his mounted on the wall behind the helm and the exhaust is mounted on the walk around portion of the boat, but it is right in the open and much louder when operated as well that way. Just seeing if other people have installed heaters in their boats. The idea is to keep the windows from fogging and throw some heat into the cabin as well for those cold winter fishing days.

Thanks!

Yes you should be fine mine is about the same height as for heater you can install anywhere, mine is inside one of my cabinets hidden just make sure you have a fresh air vent near it so it can draw. many a heater are installed in tucked away hidden cabinets. on the flow end you can place the ducking they use and use splitters with a reducer to place hoses where you want it, best advice I can give you is place the vent low as heat rises and then you get the whole area warmed up. my one vent is about a foot from the lower deck and it heats up my entire forward cabin and then the whole inside of my cabin , I simply love my heater

Yes you should be fine mine is about the same height as for heater you can install anywhere, mine is inside one of my cabinets hidden just make sure you have a fresh air vent near it so it can draw. many a heater are installed in tucked away hidden cabinets. on the flow end you can place the ducking they use and use splitters with a reducer to place hoses where you want it, best advice I can give you is place the vent low as heat rises and then you get the whole area warmed up. my one vent is about a foot from the lower deck and it heats up my entire forward cabin and then the whole inside of my cabin , I simply love my heater
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear that is should be fine on the side of the hull. I was also thinking of maybe seeing if there was some sort of Cowl that could be put just over the front of the heater thru hull to cover it a bit from any chance of driving water in really rough days out on the water.

I was also thinking of maybe seeing if there was some sort of Cowl that could be put just over the front of the heater thru hull to cover it a bit from any chance of driving water in really rough days out on the water.
I had my fabricator build me just that as the one I had had screws on the top and bottom and over time just detorated so I got him to built me a shield as it had to be open ended on each end as per the original, but I have this clam shell like this one in front to deflect water and wind and can drill holes in the side. Only need a few as its just to let some exhaust out and create a bit of vaccum. hope that helps

1646417334912.png

Last edited:
If your tucking it away my only consideration when I did it was ensure proper pertection from the exaust pipe heat from potential contact area,
as the heat is very got from the pipe. I have a post with what I did, (I'm not a professional installer and suggest you speak to one) it's only an example of what I have done based on information I reviewed . Good luck look forward to your posts and comments.

Thanks for all the ideas from the site and the helpful tips, Here are a few of the finished pictures minus a couple details of ducting and mounting the controller that I have not finalized but it has ran for about 15 hours now and is working really well. I spent a good chunk of money on upgrading all the exhaust parts and welded up my own manufactured condensation trap. Double wrapped the exhaust for insulation and made some standoffs for theexhaust to not be rubbing on anything.

IMG_0537.jpegIMG_0541.jpegIMG_0539.jpegIMG_0540.jpegIMG_0538.jpeg

Back