campion 542 price?

juandesooka

I am getting the 2foot-itis itch once again ... and realizing that there is no way there'll be 2 boats in my driveway, so my boat would have to go before another arrives. I haven't really been watching the market that closely since I bought mine, so would appreciate any input anyone might have on ballpark pricing.

It's a Campion 542 18.5 walkaround cuddy. 1999 boat with 1999 115 Merc (oil injected 2 stroke). Had about 300 or less hours when I bought it (so they told me), and I've probably put a couple hundred more on it ... spent most of my time on the kicker.

I installed a radar arch with an older radar/chartplotter. Scotty electric downriggers and a 2002 yamaha 8hp kicker (ol' faithful).

Boat is in good working order, serviced every year. It's been fished, so it does have some scuffs and bruises ... kept up, but not showroom shiny either.

All in all, still not fully sure I want to sell ... maybe depends a little on how close I can get to the new boat with the old one moved on. :)

Any suggestions most appreciated!

True LC ... for those math minded, that 2 isn't added on or even multiplied, it's more like an exponent in cost and hassle I'm sure!

For me, this is about getting offshore more safely and comfortably a higher percentage of the time. I think the Campion 542 is a PERFECT inshore boat ... one person can handle it easily, can fish 3 people comfortably, can handle pretty much any weather we'll see inshore (on the wrong day I've been plenty uncomfortable on it, but never felt unsafe).

Offshore, a different story. It can handle the good days -- heck, you can be out at Swiftsure in a 12' tinner on the oily glass days. But those iffy days on the margin have bugged the crap out of me ... either turning back when you didn't really need to, or much worse, continuing out there when you shouldn't have. The former is wasting a day ... the latter is being scared and a long ride back.

So, where I'm at ... have loved this boat and set it up to be exactly what I want for local fishing ... but am increasingly feeling like I want more. A little mixed feelings though ... especially for selling my boat and then probably being without a boat for a while!

those two feet cost alot more and really, whats the difference in rough weather other than you will push more in the rough stuff and beat yourself up because it is safer? I loved my 23 grady but it costs more to tow and run than the extra few feet were worth. Used it less because of the size and thats what made me want to sell it. My 1500 dodge pulled it o.k but a 3/4 would be better, especially on longer hauls. If I had moored my boat it would have gotten alot more use but thats another 2-3 grand for moorage.

Interesting debate/discussion on two footitis! Some honest opinions which is nice to see. I too keep thinking about moving up in size from a 18.5 Double Eagle (which I rebuilt last year and is in excellent shape) to a 21' Monaro. I don't think it's going to happen for a few years. By that time the urge may pass which may be a good thing!

I also have a 542, it;s a 2000 with a 115- 2-stroke suzuki. It's plenty of boat for me to get out and do what ever tyoe of fishing i want to do. I agree with High Five and get some guys together and jump in with a guide to go to the bank. Lots of room for three guys in the 542, cheap to run, stand up top and high seats are awesome, tows easy, in and out at the ramp easy, anchors up easy, ...ect.... Gonna keep mine and throw a new E-Tec on it in a year or two. My 2 cents

And John, when you think about it - 2 more feet - a 20.5' won't be that much safer and comfortable either in a medium slop. Unless you jump a couple/three classes up I think you will find very little improvement over your current situation. Regular out to Swiftsure - 26' plus, anything else is useless.

Lots of good points made so far......so here is my take on it! lol I went through the same thing in 2008 and almost the exact scenerio. I bought a Malibu 182 new from Sherwood marine and it had a 115Hp and 8Hp Hondas. For that year of boat a very direct comparison to the Campion as t looked long and hard at them both. I traded a Bayliner 2755 in on it at the time as I really was getting into fishing the Westcoast especially Renfrew through friends at work. The bigger boat was bought when I was a summer visitor to the Island not a resident and the time to keep it up to par and moorage costs quicker had me looking for a trailerable alternative. I set the new boat up the way I wanted and used it on countless trips to Rennnie and Alberni as well. It ran great but always left me wanting a bit more boat. In 2008 I took advantage of the strong Canadian buck at the time and bought my current boat which is my 21 Striper. Now I'm not saying this is the ultimate boat to buy or trying to start a debate just stating what I believe has worked for me. So far it to has been a great boat and it definitely gives me more boat for my many trips to Swiftsure. Two feet doesn't sound like much.....until you don't have it! lol There are lots of other advantages to my new rig from the old but it's mostly my opinion and would most likely spark a lot of debate? In all honestly if I had to do it again I wouldn't hesitate on the 2 feet and knowing what I know now I would have gotten the the 23 foot. For me I think it would have been the perfect size for everything I do and just as easy to trailer....launch.....fish and maintain............just my two cents..........Greg

.........Oh yah.......as far as price goes......12 to 15 without seeing the boat is probably fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all who responded, price range info is helpful, and the general advice on 2foot-itis, both pro and con, is also appreciated.

ReelSlim....in all the searching so far, US in particular, Striper 2101 is what seems to jump out as a best bet. Lots of them around and the prices are pretty good. Grady 228 is also nice, but the snack bracket jumps pretty quickly out of reach. But I'm in no hurry, will watch over the winter and ponder. And maybe chase some Sooke winter springs now and then in the boat I have. :)

Back