Campbell River Reports 2014

Hit Browns Bay with a buddy this morning for this years' first attempt at Fraser sox. Lines in the water at 5:40am. 8th sockeye in the bag at 6:50am. Non-stop action at Separation Head, using small red and pink hoochies. Kept the gear tight (4 rods)...dummy flasher, 10' to first line, another 10' to next line, send ball to 60'. Other side same, but ball to 65', so lures at 40/45/50/55. Trolled faster than usual for sockeye. Only 3 pinks came to interrupt our efforts. Ranged 5 to 8lbs.
equzuvur.jpg

Hit Browns Bay with a buddy this morning for this years' first attempt at Fraser sox. Lines in the water at 5:40am. 8th sockeye in the bag at 6:50am. Non-stop action at Separation Head, using small red and pink hoochies. Kept the gear tight (4 rods)...dummy flasher, 10' to first line, another 10' to next line, send ball to 60'. Other side same, but ball to 65', so lures at 40/45/50/55. Trolled faster than usual for sockeye. Only 3 pinks came to interrupt our efforts. Ranged 5 to 8lbs.
equzuvur.jpg

Thanks for that..now Hurry up and come Saturday/Sunday..cant wait to get out there...

Libby, must of run by you at 06:00, went over to the wall. Done by 9:00.
Boat gased, cleaned and back in the carport by 11:15.

What kind is your boat, as there was only 2 or 3 at separation head when I went by.
A tinny with canvas top was netting one as I passed him, blue in colour.

That blue with gray was us :)
ugy3u2eh.jpg

Good to hear the bite stayed on for a while yet after we left. Might hafta see if I can get out again tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Separation head had lots of action today, lots of boats too 4-5 Tuesday morning 40-50 this morning guess the words out now. We had a three man limit of sockeye, 6 pinks let go and another dozen spit the hooks. Green blue chrome flasher with bubble gum squirt 24 inch back was the best combo out of the four rods. fish hitting 20 feet to 80 feet.

It's going to be a gong show this weekend. good luck to all

side note: friend said the hump was dead last night

Separation head had lots of action today, lots of boats too 4-5 Tuesday morning 40-50 this morning guess the words out now. We had a three man limit of sockeye, 6 pinks let go and another dozen spit the hooks. Green blue chrome flasher with bubble gum squirt 24 inch back was the best combo out of the four rods. fish hitting 20 feet to 80 feet.

It's going to be a gong show this weekend. good luck to all

side note: friend said the hump was dead last night

Thanks for the report On The Rocks! We fished Greensea last weekend and picked up a few Sox on Sunday and Monday.(amidst hordes of Pinks!!) Got a 12 lb Spring and a couple wild coho as well. We were one early run Chum away from a grand slam!! Best for us was a green flasher with pink/black hootchie 24 inches back. Sox were all deeper at 65 - 110ft.

For the first time ever we lost a rigger ball, and one guide got a triple header and ended up running over our gear. I don't think he even knew(until he pulled up his gear and found an orange flasher with a pink hootchie wrapped around it!)

Best of luck to everyone this weekend as well

BL

8 Soxs, 1 Spring (released) and a dozen or more Pinks (released) today at Greensea. 3 Trawlers in the mix and strong tidal flow gonna be stronger over the weekend. Finished off with an Orca Show heading north towards Denham. A few of the Soxs had war wounds from the commercial openings. Good day, morning was slow, afternoon better.

went the wrong way in the morning, and found nothing but pinks. Moved over to Separation and got into big sockeye right away, including one freaking monster. Packed it in at 1, with 5 good sox in the tub. Whacked one pink and released 10 or so. No springs or hos. Lost a couple sockeye too. We weren't the top boat today, but fishing was good, in the slack water and in the rip too. Fishing 4 rods led to lots of tangles and down time, but it worked well for the most part.

Big hootchies out performed squirts hands down. ANd the blue flasher ruled the day. 55 to 75.

I want to go tomorrow too, but I think chores will get in the way. Good luck out there boys and girls!

I am leaving for work for a month, so if everybody could just stop leaving positive reviews as it gets really depressing that I am stuck overseas and not fishing!

Lazo: there is room, you don't need to crowd the beach to fish effectively. But, even if you want to fish the beach, everyone is working pretty hard to cooperate. I picked up a painter's lodge hootchie on my cable. Worse for him then for me obviously, but once I noticed, just pulled the gear and unhooked him. I'd say the trickiest thing is controlling the boat when you are in the pack and getting sucked into the rip.

Launched at BBay yesterday @ noon..cruised past all the usual spots heading up Discovery Passage looking for sockeye...went up about 1/2 way to kelsey bay..from what I saw best signs were rite at Deepwater..so back we went..fished about 2hrs there and boated (my girlfriends words) our "quota" lol
lost a few..released 1 pink and a # of grillse..we fished in the tide rip rite at separation 4 rods 50-70ft usual sockeye gear
All and all another great day on the water

Anyone fished Deep Water Bay yesterday,( Tuesday) on the flood tide in the after noon?
If so how was the fishing and the catching :) ?? ......BB

My buddy went out for the evening bite and was skunked.
I went out this morning and landed 5 sox off Separation Head.
Very good action the whole time we were there between 8 and 10.
The oak bay boats were doing very well. They were fishing three rods, green flashers and small pink hootchies.
There were a bunch of reddish flashers with fish too.
I was running green and reddish too on my dummies and two lines.
All depths, 55 - 90. 75 was sweet for a bit.
Lots of people were having trouble landing sox today.

Back