Great looking sounder, what make is it?
Awesome looking bait ball and what looks like a school
of fish; pinks maybe? Anyone with some thoughts
on this?

Great looking sounder, what make is it?
Awesome looking bait ball and what looks like a school
of fish; pinks maybe? Anyone with some thoughts
on this?
Its a Lowrance Elite-7HDI month old, really happy with it. I could see my cannonball scraping bottom at 200' at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience makring fish at this time of the year in that shallow in that abundance is almost 100% pinks, with the off coho and spring maybe mixed in. Fish deeper if you want the springs. Having said that the hump/green can have been pretty slow for a few weeks. If you want to fish CR go north the Browns bay, Thurston, Green sea. Guys are killing fish up there. While not in huge numbers most guys fishing up there are getting a couple
Ya this was over by the Green can when I swung in to turn around it got shallow. My Nogs needles ran at 180-225ft most of the day.

Spent the afternoon at Greensea. Took home 5 Sockeye, lost a few at the boat and shook off many more Pinks. A tough slog to get there (Gale Warning for JS) but was quite fishable for most of the afternoon. Crossed over to Chatham, Rock Bay area, lots on the sounder but also lots of kelp rafts and rough water. Shook of a couple of Pinks and went back to Greensea for 1 more sockeye before going home. A few Gilnetters between BB and GS through the afternoon and saw some Seiners show up late in the day. Hopefully the NW winds abate at some point. Lots of Pinks and Socks around.

On another note, I've never seen the Discovery Harbour Marina parking lot so full. Had to park behind Superstore and that lot was getting full too. Long walk back to the boat and long waits for the limited dock space.

Long afternoon at the green can yesterday. Not much action in the deeper areas. Gulls were working something in the shallows so we pulled in there to take a look. A few people jigging and the sounder full of action. Looked over the side and got totally disgusted by the massive swarm of dogfish swirling under my boat. They were everywhere! Hundreds? Thousands? Hooked a few pinks and my buddy kept a couple for a late night bbq. Nice day on the water.

Long afternoon at the green can yesterday. Not much action in the deeper areas. Gulls were working something in the shallows so we pulled in there to take a look. A few people jigging and the sounder full of action. Looked over the side and got totally disgusted by the massive swarm of dogfish swirling under my boat. They were everywhere! Hundreds? Thousands? Hooked a few pinks and my buddy kept a couple for a late night bbq. Nice day on the water.

Glad you were able to get out on the water this weekend. Saw those dogfish as well a couple of days ago, thought they were pinks on the sounder until we caught one, and the rest followed it to the surface.

Thanks charlie415...I usually just head north from bb looking for any sign of them..looking forward to targeting them soon (next few weekends) looking for some canners :)

Deepwater and Separation Head was rumoured to be holding Socks. There were boats there fishing them, but the water was pretty lively with the wind. Lots of jumpers everywhere from CR north to Greensea.

Fished Greenseas last night 19:00 to 21:00. Hot action. A tiny pink to start, then boated 5 sox in short order and finished with a twenty something spring. All taken on large pink hootchies between 50 and 80. Two guys in a 17 whaler with four rods and a fresh breeze. Glorious!

Fished Greenseas last night 19:00 to 21:00. Hot action. A tiny pink to start, then boated 5 sox in short order and finished with a twenty something spring. All taken on large pink hootchies between 50 and 80. Two guys in a 17 whaler with four rods and a fresh breeze. Glorious!

Sweet. Thank you very much. .cant wait till next weekend

Wanted to get out to Green Sea today, but was just to snotty out there, ended up sticking around deep water/separation head, landed 3 Sockeye, probably lost a couple. Took 4 pinks home as well. All in all not a bad day out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A buddy on another web forum posed the following question - Does anyone have a good recommendation for a Campbell River charter? Specifically he wants to introduce some grandchildren to salmon fishing and would be looking for a half day charter. Any suggestions?

Back