Campbell/Quinsam Pinks open thursday!

and i find the best spot is just below the loggin bridge, by the green house on the river, at least 5-6 fish jumping every 1 or 2 seconds it seems like!

quote:Originally posted by JuBy

where were you fishing?

We started about 100 ft below the logging bridge & then moved up below the Quinsam & worked back down to the bridge.The fish were moving up along the shore...any place you could get a cast in behind a boulder you would hook one. A lot less people above the bridge but not as nice water to drift. Again, doesn't really matter, the fish are everywhere.[8D]

Im Coming from Vancouver and im leaving first ferry tomorrow morning
i got a problem i dont seem to know exactly where i am going. Everyone keeps saying this logging bridge?? where is that i called up one of the local fishing stores there he said to go to Elk Falls Provincial Park where Campbell river rd and Gold River Hwry Meet right where the Parkside Campground is. Now this is where im confused am i supposed to me going north in the park to where i see the river OR is there a tiny river to the South of the Campground because the guy i spoke to from the fishing shop there is what he seems to have been telling me BUT i dont see any rivers on google maps except for the river going through Elk Falls

Hey Dude,

Directions can always seem a little confusing when you've never been to an area before, so let me try & make it easy for ya. When you come off the inland highway, follow the signs like you are going to Gold River. This will take you out towards Elk Falls Provincial Park.The road follows right besides the Campbell so you know you are going the right way. Right before you get to the park, about a 1/4 mile or so, you will see a large logging bridge on your right going across the Campbell. You can't miss it. Pull over & park right there. You can follow the trails up or downstream, doesn't really matter, there are LOTS of fish everywhere. If you go across the bridge on the highway at the confluence of the Campbell & the Quinsam, you've gone too far.Just turn around & head back a 1/4 mile or so. You will see all the vehicles parked along the road....can't miss them. Down stream is more traditional river runs & pools, while upstream is more like pocket water on the Vedder. Either way, every run, pool & slot is just crammed with fish. Four of us are heading up tomorrow morning as well.....high tide is aprox. 10:30, so fresh sea licers should be pushing in all morning.[8D] We have been using a #2 pink Gammy with a little piece of either bright pink or chartruse ( bright green ) wool. 8lb test & a 2ft leader seems to work best, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. Doesn't really seem to make a difference though, they bite all day long. The fly guys are using any small bright pink fly & catching just as many. Some of the males are quite a nice size for this river, we've got a couple just over 6lbs so far, so you can afford to be picky about the ones you keep if you want to. Good luck & let us know how you made out.

Thanks SUmmer Steel for the info i found the place! I just got back to Richmond from Campbell river Went for the day like stated earlier!! AND WOW!!!!LIKE WOWWWW!! when you guys say there fish everywhere thats means there really is!! I fished Right at the bottom of the Logging Bridge AHHA yes i found it LOL!! they seemed to be alot just right where the logging bridge is!! we caught them all day and took the last ferrry back! i had buzz bombs, spinners, zingers and everything spent alot of money on tackly before heading there but the only thing really that worked for me the entire day was flies!! Pink Or Bright Green Flies work like a charM Hands down!! I also did lose alot of flies and my weights today they kept braking off when i had fish on!! I had a 12lb Line and yes i was tieing them correctly LOL! i was just tying them to the end of the line and casting my fishing rod so what was i doing wrong??
Anyways I had a amazing Day up in Campbell river wish i cud have stayed the night. I might just head back again next weekend ;)

@Summer Steel: Thanks for all the information - very helpful.

@Dude: I am also from Richmond and am heading over to Nanaimo this Saturday. How long a drive is it from Nanaimo to Campbell River?

^^^^ AROUND an hour and half or so. Still TONS of fish. Please remeber NO RETENTION ABOVE THE QUINSAM. still lots of ignorant people.

Blitz Creek!! the previous guy is Correct
its about 1.5 hours from naniamo! i might be going back this saturday because i am still talking about the fun i had yesterday ahaha!! where abouts in richmond?? i am near 2rd and steveston hwy

yes there is some very ignorant people fishing the river. but most are fishing and following the regs. great to see the young guys and gals catching fish. many happy faces down there.i was talking to our co last night and we were talking about the amount of fish in the river and the amount still to come. i have been here a long time and have not seen pink runs this size in years.

quote:Originally posted by Dude

Blitz Creek!! the previous guy is Correct
its about 1.5 hours from naniamo! i might be going back this saturday because i am still talking about the fun i had yesterday ahaha!! where abouts in richmond?? i am near 2rd and steveston hwy

I am near Moncton and 2Rd - close to you it sounds. I am going to be heading over to Ucluelet next week for some salt water fishing, but my parents live in Nanaimo and I'll be taking my family over to stay with them a few nights before heading west across the island.

This pink run sounds like the perfect opportunity to get my wife interested in fishing - lots of action. Free babysitting from the grandparents is a bonus!

for the pink fishery in campbell river is it vital you show up for first light/high tide or can you just show up any time and get into fish?

You can show up anytime theres fish everywhere in that water!! but i would say go a bit early get a good spot as the day goes too many people , its gets packed

quote:Originally posted by JuBy

for the pink fishery in campbell river is it vital you show up for first light/high tide or can you just show up any time and get into fish?

Right now, the river is essentially one long unbroken line of fish from the Quinsam all the way to the ocean. Getting there early will help with getting a spot, but there is so much accessible shoreline to fish you will find a place to squeeze in somewhere no matter when you show up. Most are pretty good about another rod showing up, easy limits & lots of fish to catch & release all day long definitely help with that:) High tide is kind of cool to watch as there are so many fish in the system, when more start to push in the whole train moves upstream.Hundreds are jumping & boiling at once, kinda hard to believe there is room for them all, not to mention the million or so more expected in the next month[8D] Still, you don't HAVE to go at high tide, whenever you have some free time will be just fine[8D] Four of us went up yesterday & hooked easily over a 100 fish in four hours & kept 16 very nice ones. You can afford to be picky about the ones you keep there are so many. We kept quite a few big chrome males between 5-7 lbs & hooked many more. A few fish are just starting to get a bit of color on them, but by far the majority are fresh sea lice chromers. So many pushed in on the tide that we had to stop setting the hook whenever we got a bite to avoid snagging them. You would just have to lift your rod tip whenever you got a bite ( which was almost every cast ) & if you saw a fish flashing under your float you would just tighten up on them. Most of the biters would stay on while any jigged ones would usually roll off of the hook. At one point, my buddy was intentionally using a dull hook to avoid snagging any fish. Worked pretty good too, the dull point would generally slide off the fish's body, but still stick enough in it's mouth to hook them. First time I've ever seen anybody intentionally fish with a dull hook [:p] Anything pink seemed to work well including a bare #2 pink Gammy & small pink worms. Chartreuse & pink wool were also hammering them, wish I had a small pink Blue Fox to try just to see. Next time I probably will be doing a little more experimenting for fun.[8D]

im headed up tomorrow should i just wear shorts and sandles to wade or can you just cast from shore

Juby, you can cast from the shore and walk in with shorts and sandals the water is not that cold and its a bit easier to cast right to where the fish are

Just to be clear, are most people drift fishing with pink/green wool? Or are they casting and retrieving spoons and spinners?

so i got called into work and could not make it up to cr this morning :( but hopefully the fish will be stacked next week on my day off if you are fly fishing do you use floating or sinking line or does it not even matter with the amount of fish in the system?

honestly it doesnt matter at all. A friend of mine described it looking from the logging bridge down the river as an "oil slick" of pinks. And really i cant think of a better way to describe it. The biggest problem is trying to get them in the mouth! There are areas of the river where if you move your line during your float downstream you will hook a fish every drift.

Back