Cabelas open in Nanaimo soon?

honestly don't think the store was designed to compete with local tackle shops, it's the world's formost outfitter, mostly hunting stuff... but I noticed too a lot of products they don't carry at wholesale sports in the way of hunting supplies.. Also like FA said...if you don't like the prices find them cheaper elsewhere and they will beat it...I did notice bait was cheaper their then anywhere in town extra large rhys-davis herring 6.50...I think the store will do okay, they must have done lots of market research before opening that huge place, give them some credit.. I left there wishing I was more into hunting..lol

I understand the comments about "flashers" but really guy's, go buy your stuff at the local stores and don't totally trash a new store Cheers,Sculpin

My post was not intended to "trash" the new store; only a comment about the noise and the prices. I loved the store and as I said...plenty of neat stuff to drool over. I'm glad the store is here in Nanaimo and I will go there for 'stuff' that isn't available (or is more expensive) elsewhere. For now Harbour Chandler gets my loyalty; they're closer, less expensive and as a bonus, I get great advise on fishing and super help with my sounder & GPS from their very knowledgable staff.

Thanks, never been one for supporting "Big Box Stores" I prefer the Ma and Pa outfits way more, they are the back bone of community.
Used to work at Gills Tackle in Langley to help out and trade wages for gear. It was like going to the bar and hanging out and talking, great vibe. Although the big outfits do provide jobs they tend to be cold and impersonal. Can't stand Walmart and my family knows to never buy me anything from there, they ruin small community IMHO. I still buy my meat from my hanging butcher and veggies and bread from the grower and bakery. I pay a little more but worth it to me, better quality and customer service.
Don't get me wrong I do like a deal and specifically on higher priced items where quantity buying leads to better prices but when you build a relationship with an owner, you can usually do okay.

Just looking to stop in and check it out, sorry for the rant!!

Cheers Getbent

Where abouta is the store located, might stop in today on my way to Bam if it isn't too far of the highway?

The store is just off the inner route behind Woodgrove Mall where the old Canadian Tire used to be at the North End of Nanaimo; get off at the north exit (Walmart end) of Woodgrove and go through the set of lights on the old highway and it is just to your right. Lots of bling and neat stuff but comparable at best with pricing in town for now. The manager is actually from Nanaimo and says they will be trying to stay competitive in the marketplace; they are mainly after the hunters in BC as you can tell from the amount of hunting/camping gear vs the small fishing section.

See ya at the shootout!

All stores and retailers have 'spies" that go to other stores just like them and compare pricing. I've seen it done where a competitor that the owner recognizes, will ask permission for a look-around with a notepad and pencil in hand.

Stores do it all the time.

I'd bet money that Cabela's in Nanaimo can tell you all the prices of things in Wholesale Sports or elsewhere right now. They know allright.

If they'll match a price then the onus is on me to prove that another store is selling an item at a lesser price. Which could be difficult if it's not an advertised item.

Since they already know what the other store is selling the item for, I don't need the extra headache of proving my innocence.

Obviously they are going after the "hunting/outdoor" niche.....so their saltwater fishing game is going to take time to get up to snuff (if it ever does).

So far they haven't lured me away from Harbor Chandler or PNT........

So far they haven't lured me away from Harbor Chandler or PNT........

I agree with most of your reply-even down in Eugene OR I was never impressed with their salt water selection or price compared to other US tackle shops. However it has lots of other items, neat experience, they have the Bargain Cave, great food prep items, Only thing close to a tackle store my wife will willingly go in and most importantly-THEY HAVE FUDGE!!! Still will shop at HC,PNT and Gone Fishing, but what a great time waster while my wife is doing hard core MALL Cruising!!LOL

...I'd bet money that Cabela's in Nanaimo can tell you all the prices of things in Wholesale Sports or elsewhere right now. They know allright.......

Yeah they have this thing called The Internet-it's like a goddamned miracle I'll tell ya.

Yes....but places like Harb Chan (where a ton of their stuff isn't online)......they'll know all about them too.

:eek:..........the Internet is not a miracle...it's a disease.......

Do you guys not all my imported things from China? That does worse damage to our economy and manufacturers... Do you shop at Costco? I am sure you do.

I am not worried about Cabalas. HC has excellent there are a few though that may have to step up and offer better service..That's why I come back to HC in Nanaimo and many in Victoria and other small places. I support local businesses but they also have to have good service or else I am not going there... I personally think Wholesale needs to step up. Many times been in there never been helped much. Its not the prices. I would rather spend a dollar more and get someone helping me. I think the direct impacts from this new store will be Canadian Tire, Island outfitters, Wholesale Sports.... The fishing stores won't be affected too much pretty dedicated clientelle. But for hunting look out...

I have to agree with Sculpin lets give it an opportunity. Its actually great for Nanaimo when you think of it. Give you example a few of us talked about going up there tomorrow. So if I go there I will likely buy lunch, fuel my vehicle and visit maybe HC at same time. All that cash goes into local economy.So it's actually does more good when you think about it for Nanaimo businesses just saying. Look at IKEA on mainland... So many people travel to IKEA and spend money locally while doing it....

Speaking of big-box outdoor stores.......why do they use the name Wholesale Sports for that store?...there's nothing selling for wholesale in there.......

Just about everything these days is made in China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, The Philippines or Indonesia..........made by American and Canadian companies that deserted out shores with an eye to fatter bank accounts for themselves........no patriotism on their part.

Half the stuff or more in Harbor Chandler is made offshore..........but I'll go there anyway.

Harbor Chandler has a bit of that old-school "Capitol Iron" feel to it.......(remember the old Capitol Iron in Victoria back in the day.....it's not like that now though)

I will still get all boating gear from HC and fishing gear from PNT, but I am very happy Cabelas is here and anyone who can't see this is good for the local economy overall is not thinking big picture.
Wholesale Sports came and failed miserably in the customer service, marketing, price, location and inventory departments. I doubt Cabelas will make the same mistakes.

And I still remember Johnstone Hardware in Nanaimo.. All sorts of stuff hidden in the nooks and crannies for fishing. You just had to look...

855686-ryan_davis__and_vinny_caravella_in_a_snuggie.jpg

Tuna trip planning...View attachment 13991

I fixed it for you......

And I still remember Johnstone Hardware in Nanaimo.. All sorts of stuff hidden in the nooks and crannies for fishing. You just had to look...
yes I loved that store! was sad to see it go.. DOF, I don't agree, customer service yes, but I think wholesale sports has a lot of stuff at decent prices, ie : saltwater gear, (cheapest spoons in town ) great flasher selection and also a great freshwater section, camping gear and food processing equipment.

I heard the new shop is "the standard template", with lots of bass, walleye gear. Lots of camouflage pajamas etc. Salmon gear was not bad but flyfishing weak. It will take a few seasons for it to adjust to suite local fishing wants.

I got to go down into the basement of that place to find some obscure reloading dies. Pretty amazing the amount of stuff hidden down there.

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed. Some of the clothing is nice quality, but so too is the price. Fishing gear is priced high IMO. Frankly Wholesale Sports has more selection and competitive pricing on fishing tackle as compared to Cabelas. PNT and HC has way better specialty fishing gear at good pricing. As a general tackle store Gone Fishn is pretty good too. So, I will be sticking to the smaller stores.

Having said that, I might take another walk through when there are fewer people there so I can take in more. It was a gong show on the VIP night.

Back