Cabelas Nanaimo

I heard they'll be going in the old Canadian Tire store beside Tom Lee's......north Nanaimo....

They have done so much construction to that building I can't believe they didn't just tear it down and start over. I think it would have been quicker.

^^^^^^^

What he said! (I think that it must have something to do with permits - it has to)

I can't wait for it to open, the outdoors candy store.

They will be good to buy certain items, but for Salmon fishing, I'll stick with the local shops for terminal gear and electronics that PnT and HC provide, with expertise and service.

I'll go wherever a store has something that I want.

They talk big about shopping local....but the locals have forced me to Nanaimo more times than I can remember.

I often like the friendliness of local stores.....but if they haven't got what I want then there's nothing I can do for them.

I've shopped quite a bit there online and have found their products and service exellent!Their "Dry Plus" breathable
raingear is the best I've ever owned,and being an ex logger,I've tried it all.Can't wait till they're open.

The new sign is up and pretty bold!!!

I'm still in awe that Cabela's has come to Nanaimo. Who would have thought. Have they shot all the deer in the States?........lol.

had a SFBC member tell me that store has over a half million in taxidermy , and indoor waterfall and archery range..pretty cool , I will definitely be checking it out when they open sept 11,2014

If it's anything like the Basspro in Calgary it will be a site to behold....

That BassPro has archery range, shooting range, stocked aquarium and trout ponds too...

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yes I have been to the bass proshop many times in Calgary.. I also heard a rumour they are making one in tawassin (SP)..

I am currently travelling in Spokane and just visited my first Cabela's across the boarder in Idaho. It has the large trout aquarium along with an indoor target area. They have quite the display of mounted fish hanging on the walls. They sell just about anything outdoors people would like. If the one in Nanaimo is anything like this one, it will be a site to behold. The place will be packed with all kinds of sportsman and women.

I can't wait to get in the store, might have to call in sick at work when it opens.

Cabelas is good if you like bass fishing or hunting but as far as west coast fishing its pretty lame. Same goes for basspro. Been to vegas and calgary bp's walked around for a couple hours without buying anything. I think cb's will be a one time novelty with many fisherman......salt anyways that is. Go HC

I live in Delta and all the local press says Bass pro is back on for TsW. For a while it sounded like it was off. The signs say the mall will open in 2016 so a ways off still.

I go to the Cabelas in Tullalip regularly. It is a smaller store than the other Cabelas store in Lacey however they are adapting a bit more to our salt/salmon fishing needs. Our local stores in Langley have great selections and products and will just have to sharpen their pricing when the big boys show up in town.

Went to Laceys Cabelas-- not overly impressed with the prices. Pretty good selection. and how many other sporting goods stores also serve buffalo burgers???? LOL

The stuff I like the most that Cabela's offers is their food processing equipment. You get to see it before you buy it. Their hunting clothing is reasonable and a huge selection. They have some good footwear as well. They carry a lot of stuff that other stores just don't have. I mean who doesn't need shot gun shell patio lanterns :p;).

The only fishing stuff I have ever bought from them was some cedar plugs for tuna fishing. Other than that PNT or the HC get all my tackle sales :).

Went to Laceys Cabelas-- not overly impressed with the prices. Pretty good selection. and how many other sporting goods stores also serve buffalo burgers???? LOL

Once all the little guys and competition is wiped out, they can sneak up their prices. I think we're seeing that start to happen now. Consumers are shooting themselves in the foot.

This will be more of a tourist destination I think and I don't think the reputable tackle shops have anything to worry about..i would love to hear there reasoning for putting one up in Nanaimo..Definitely going to go have a look..

Back