Cabelas Nanaimo

I hope it turns into another Target story personally.

Not sure what that story is. They provide employment opportunities for local people and provide another source for products that a lot of people want to buy. They also provide competition for other outlets which is always good. I'm not sure why people are so surprised when US based stores open in Canada and are forced to price their products so much higher than they do in the US. Guess what, folks, it's because it costs them a hell of a lot more to bring the stuff into Canada than it does in the US. They have to pay higher wages and employment taxes (EI, CPP, WCB) than they do in the US. They pay more in local government taxes and so on and so on. All so we can enjoy all of the wonderful social welfare benefits that we as Canadians have (health care etc) that the folks in the US don't have.
If you want to pay US prices for stuff, move to the US. Just don't get sick down there...

I've seen documentaries addressing the "higher prices' for a lot of goods in Canada...and the answer for why we pay more in Canada for the same item in the USA.....even when our dollar was slightly higher than theirs a while back.

The answer is called "regional pricing"...

They overcharge up here for no other reason than they simply decided to.

Your kidding right? Health care, have you been to an emergency ward lately? People die while waiting. The only place those higher taxes are going are into the politicians pocket. You might want to ask what the wage structure at Cabelas is compared to HC or a canadian based,owned and operated company before defending them.
Where all the rest of these wonderful social benefits your talking about are I have yet to see I didn't even get my street cleared the one time it snowed but guess what my taxes went up anyways. Teachers are still on strike, schools are getting shut down and funding for any social programs you speak of has already dried up or is going to. The Canada your defending was gone twenty years ago. Its survival of the fittest now. As long as you have money your fine.

Any way you slice it, there are 150 people who are now working for an employer that seems to be staff-friendly. Historically, Cabela's customers tend to travel long distances or plan vacations and day trips to include visits to the stores. It is very likely that the spin-off tourism will be beneficial to the community in ways that aren't obvious at present. Whether or not the Nanaimo clientelle embraces the outlet or not won't stop people from coming from all over the Island and from the mainland to spend time and money in our City.

Bang on, LowTide. I think KV1 needs to have a second cup of coffee before he posts here. To be successful in Nanaimo, Cabelas is going to have to have prices and selection that are competitive with WS, HC and PNT. If they were able to provide the same pricing as their US outlets, I suspect we would see WS, HC and PNT having going out of business sales soon. In the mean time, let's appreciate the fact that there's a bunch more people working and there's another sporting goods store in town that's going to help keep pricing competitive for us.
And KV1, if you need any help packing to move somewhere else, where you can get your street plowed on the one day it snows, you can find a Government that spends more than 75% of what it takes in from taxes on Health and Education, where they keep schools open with less than 30% capacity, please let me know - I'd be happy to help.

Even if they are uber-competitive with pricing I don't think they are going to give Harb Chan or PNT a run for their money simply because those stores will be carrying lines of products that we like that Cabela's doesn't carry......

Even if they are uber-competitive with pricing I don't think they are going to give Harb Chan or PNT a run for their money simply because those stores will be carrying lines of products that we like that Cabela's doesn't carry......
Conversely Cabelas' clothing lines are generally much better than anything found in Canada they make Wholesale Sports selection look positively sick.

It's been at least 15 years since Cabelas was a top level sportfishing retail operation though, they started to de-empathise that facet of their operation very deliberately.

Not sure what that story is. They provide employment opportunities for local people and provide another source for products that a lot of people want to buy. They also provide competition for other outlets which is always good. I'm not sure why people are so surprised when US based stores open in Canada and are forced to price their products so much higher than they do in the US. Guess what, folks, it's because it costs them a hell of a lot more to bring the stuff into Canada than it does in the US. They have to pay higher wages and employment taxes (EI, CPP, WCB) than they do in the US. They pay more in local government taxes and so on and so on. All so we can enjoy all of the wonderful social welfare benefits that we as Canadians have (health care etc) that the folks in the US don't have.
If you want to pay US prices for stuff, move to the US. Just don't get sick down there...

Totally agree, while similar the two countries approach the social and business models very differently

I was just at Cabela's Tukwila today.
I find that in general, the pricing isn't particularly good for the stuff I buy. A lot of it is more expensive than here in Vancouver.

However, some 'sale price' stuff is incredibly cheap when on sale.
And some of their 'Cabela's exclusive' stuff very low priced. Like Filet Knives with spoon for $3.99 one time. Or Split Ring pliers multitool another time for $4.99
And they carry some stuff I can't find in Vancouver or on the island.

This year I'd say Pacific Angler got most of my $. Probably just because its closest to home.
Then Berry's, probably because its next closest to home.
Then Gone Fishin' P.A., because I stop in on the way to Tofino every week.
Then Nikka, been there a few times for various things not available at the other stores listed above. I like Nikka, but its the furthest from home of the 'local' stores.
Stopped at W.S. Nanaimo once; not particularly convenient.

Will probably stop in Cabela's Nanaimo next year to see what they have.

And KV1, if you need any help packing to move somewhere else, where you can get your street plowed on the one day it snows, you can find a Government that spends more than 75% of what it takes in from taxes on Health and Education, where they keep schools open with less than 30% capacity, please let me know - I'd be happy to help.

Glad you believe the government like a good citizen. I bet you believe the job numbers too. Get in line now and vote because you can make a difference. Laughable.

Back