Buying new single action reels. Suggestions?

Mike_R

Hello all

I'm thinking about getting new single action reels. I presently use shimanos but I'd like something with better drags. I like Islanders but they are too expensive. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hello all

I'm thinking about getting new single action reels. I presently use shimanos but I'd like something with better drags. I like Islanders but they are too expensive. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lot's of threads on the subject. The search feature is awesome on this site.

I am actually starting to find the diawa m1 best for me, they are cheap and seem to hold up great. I have a mix of gt 2000 and 4000 and an islander mr2.

Ilike the trophy reels but the handles are small, they are as expensive as an islander the m1 diawa I like also for cheapper reels

Go for the New Amundson MR3 knockoff!!!! Half the price of an MR3.....and identical specs....out soon!

The Amundson have a Solid back gold one coming this spring....looks to be a very nice reel..... :)

my buddie just got a Amundson trend reel we had a little issue with a loose handle but soon got it fixed
done the islander spring trick as the trend spring is very light in tension
well all i can say is if you have not got the budget for islanders but can go the extra for the Amundson over the regular
shimano or diawa
then your going to be very happy and i just took a look at the new gold one and it looks the part

i fished with a multitude of Single Action reels from old shimano's to mr3's (which i am running now )and level winds
and can say Amundson should be onto a winner with this reel
it's sightly lighter in weight than the MR3 and is both friendly to the lefty /righty angler ....lol
as with all metal reels care must be taking as scratches or dings will mark or chip the finish

hopefully this spring season will see a gold pair of Amundson trends in the downriggers :D

i switched from the shimano's to the diawa sg375 love them! loud clicker on them too.. only thing is fishing with newbies. takes a few tries to get the drag figured out..

Single action reel? These occasionally come up on eBay for . Huge line capacity, big handles, big spool, very slick drag system (either with your palm, with the lever, or with the star drag)

And last but not least--- the often copied but never matched Hardy pawl system that sometimes sounds like the End of the World Symphony in Sea Major when a big spring is taking line...

The Hardy Eddystone, the Hardy Longstone's big brother.

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that why i put a LOL
on it making it light thats all i knew what you meant all good

The Amundson Reel looks interesting. Does anyone know when and where it will be offered for sale (and at what price)?

Thanks all for your suggestions.

i quite like the amundson fly rod and reel.. and i definitely plan to pick up the new rod and reel combo they are releasing this spring. - Mike - Says on the link someone posted in this thread they will go for under $ 200 each.

I think there's 1 or 2 new Amundson reels coming out.... Different than the Trend and somewhere around 200 dollars. Not positive though...

just got a good deal at the boat show trend mooching reel model TMX4 blk/ silver$199ea
so bit the bullet and got 3 to go with the 2 MR3's
now have for sale a 3 shimano's GT's

Was down at Peetz Mfg. here in Victoria to say hello to Bill Hooson. Noticed he has a real nice looking stainless-steel reel now the he retails for around $135.00. No ball-bearings but uses the same 'tried & true' bushing system that won the old 'Peetz-Mahogany' reels their huge following. Seemed real smooth and solid as hell to me.

I'll be having a closer look at them when I blow-up my Shimano's.

Back