Built new aluminum fuel tank for DE

Angry Angler

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Getting a new engine installed next month so figured I should replace the tank and lines. Ripped up the floor and pulled the old one and things don't look to bad. Stringers are all fiberglassed and in good shape except for a few small spots where it looks like there was air trapped that I'll have to repair while I'll have access.

Beautiful tank! I am envious of you skills. My tank needs to be replaced and I cannot find a reasonably priced alternative to fit the space. Great job!

I'm certainly no expert. but I'm pretty sure all fittings have to go on top of the tank (even though I notice that your old tank was built like that). I had this issue when my old tank (which had the inlet on the side like yours) was leaking. I don't have your welding skills so I had to hire out the job and they designed a new tank to make this work.

I'm certainly no expert. but I'm pretty sure all fittings have to go on top of the tank (even though I notice that your old tank was built like that). I had this issue when my old tank (which had the inlet on the side like yours) was leaking. I don't have your welding skills so I had to hire out the job and they designed a new tank to make this work.
The supply line needed to be routed out the side of the tank or the filler hose would be coming out the middle of the floor.

That is my understanding as well.

See TP 1332 - Construction Standards for Small Vessels
7.3.1.5 A GASOLINE fuel tank shall have no openings in the bottom, sides, or ends.

Back