Built in Transducer

Bruce 09

Hello. My boat I bought this last Dec finally arrived. It is a Hourston 17.2 sportsman, its An Ex fisheries boat. I just started cleaning it out this weekend to get ready to rig it up and I found a large circular built in thru hull transducer while cleaning the bilge out.
Anyone have any experience in using these

Attachments

• photo(14).jpg
    photo(14).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 347
No, as a matter of fact I have not.
the label says transducer, I can read that in the pic. Anything else readable on the nameplate info?
It looks like 3 coax cables and a red ground wire. It must be a fancy one. I wonder what it looks like on the underside?
that flotsam/pine needles looks like it is floating.

The red wire was accidentally in the pic,it is not connected. The only other thing it says if the frequency at 198
I saw one other one in a research boat that looked the same
it is actually molded into the hull
I was just wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to use
Here are a few more pics

Attachments

• photo(21).jpg
    photo(21).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 297
  • photo(24).jpg
    photo(24).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 297
  • photo(23).jpg
    photo(23).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 299
How does the boat seem bruce 09? Are you happy with it?

Seems ok actually. Little rough around the edges kinda. I haven't tried to fire her up yet I don't have keys and nothing open this weekend . I am working out of town all week as well
But yeah I like so far I guess. It is a lot bigger than the other 17s I was looking at . I was actually meaning to call you a week or so ago I will this week with some questions .
Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• photo(18).jpg
    photo(18).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 276
  • photo(20).jpg
    photo(20).jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 278
  • photo(25).jpg
    photo(25).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 280
  • photo(28).jpg
    photo(28).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 277
It looks so profesional on the underside of the hull, I love the way it points straight down! No bubbles going by to ruin the readings, no wood to hit it, nice.
What do the cable ends look like. Are they RCA jacks, or lowrance/eagle, or Humminbird, etc. connectors? how about a pic?
the 198 would refer to 200kHz for a frequency. typical.
Ya, if you can find out more you should save it and use it as it is a terrific installation. possibly a 3 coil, or 3 emmitter unit. may have terrific angles and coverage.

Nice find, what did that boat set you back? I like looks of that thru hull. Would be worth trying to salvage that for sure.

That ducer is a monster.......!
As mentioned someone spent a lot of time installing and fairing that into the hull, thats a wicked instal.
I think it would be worth looking into as far as the mfg and model and see if you cant get it to work.

I saw that blister where they faired it in and I arrived at opposite conclusions---I hope I'm wrong but at speed, I'm not so sure there won't be some perturbed water produced.

This mounting looks like a nice clean, install, wouldn't you say?

Not. The slightest bit of rocking side to side? I instantly lose numeral readout on the screen, sometimes the screen goes blank.

My experience----The more powerful a transducer, the more effected it is by dirty water

It would be interesting to know what that unit is--- might be worth posting it on a website that has lots of eyes glued to it, such as The Hull Truth, to find out what it is, or send Airmar's distribution center (Gemeco) a pic.

Boat looks nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that blister where they faired it in and I arrived at opposite conclusions---I hope I'm wrong but at speed, I'm not so sure there won't be some perturbed water produced.

This mounting looks like a nice clean, install, wouldn't you say?

Not. The slightest bit of rocking side to side? I instantly lose numeral readout on the screen, sometimes the screen goes blank.

My experience----The more powerful a transducer, the more effected it is by dirty water

It would be interesting to know what that unit is--- might be worth posting it on a website that has lots of eyes glued to it, such as The Hull Truth, to find out what it is, or send Airmar's distribution center (Gemeco) a pic.

Boat looks nice!

I think the use of the words "dirty water" are not helpful. It is air bubbles that your transducer thinks are fish! try using your unit in air, it will show a minimun depth say 4 feet, because you are transmitting into the air. solid return!
you have the 'ducer near the edge of the hull, which is not recommended! He has it in the center of the boat, perfect!
In my experience, plankton and silt affect the 200kHz and weaker transducers the most. Also, some elctronic service people can boost your sounder to max power, up from factory settings. See Ron Lo in vancouver.

Back