Bucktailing

do you guys use a swivel to help with line twist or do you tune the bucktail to run true ie: no spin? if the latter, any tips on how to accomplish this? I've tried turning the trailer hook to the side but it always seems to twist back and start spinning again.

So I have tied up a few with inch and a quater gibbs willow leaf blade and the top two have double chrome colorado blades at 5/8". Think this should do the ticket or are the gibbs blades to big? Any other colours I should be tying up and are they a bit to sparse?

So I have tied up a few with inch and a quater gibbs willow leaf blade and the top two have double chrome colorado blades at 5/8". Think this should do the ticket or are the gibbs blades to big? Any other colours I should be tying up and are they a bit to sparse?

Those look wicked! I like the purple one and the pink one at the bottom. I dont think they are to sparse. I was getting them on flies that were mangles last year and earlier this year!

-KK

Roger that, thanks eman. I used my last one there but will go get some more before I leave next Friday.

those look deadly. they'll catch coho if they're around... gotta make some up for myself when I get a chance....

Had some fun again on Saturday with the Bucktail off the back. Loads of hits with 3 good hookups resulting in a nice 8lb Coho in the bag. My setup looks very similar to the ones in the photos.

Sparse is usually better than thick. I don't think the Gibbs blades are too big but watch out with those small chrome colorado blades. I tried one that looks a lot like those and it brought fish in for a while. When it was my turn on the rod, I popped a fish off on the strike with 20lb leader. When retying I noticed the spinner had busted, not the line so I didn't even try using that size spinner again.

Here's my attempt at a weedless bucktail with no front hook just a stainless steel cotter pin bent to 60 deg angle like a jig hook. The pin is weighted on the bottom so the fly should shed weed to the bottom like a jig and a stiff, braided wire trailer that should keep the rear hook point up and shielded from weed. Seemed to work well for me but always interested to hear the comments from others.

photobucket-40865-1373910005054.jpg

Here's my attempt at a weedless bucktail with no front hook just a stainless steel cotter pin bent to 60 deg angle like a jig hook. The pin is weighted on the bottom so the fly should shed weed to the bottom like a jig and a stiff, braided wire trailer that should keep the rear hook point up and shielded from weed. Seemed to work well for me but always interested to hear the comments from others.

photobucket-40865-1373910005054.jpg

That is a great idea! I wonder if you could upload a photo or two of how you hold the hook upright and how you attach the hook?

Weeds can be a super problem bucktailing.

Sparse is usually better than thick. I don't think the Gibbs blades are too big but watch out with those small chrome colorado blades. I tried one that looks a lot like those and it brought fish in for a while. When it was my turn on the rod, I popped a fish off on the strike with 20lb leader. When retying I noticed the spinner had busted, not the line so I didn't even try using that size spinner again.
Thanks for the tip! I may just end up doing all in Gibbs blades then. They do look a little weak to me as well.

I was inspired after reading this thread and added a put a buck-tail on my fly rod his weekend out at port renfrew. Had five good hits but didn't manage to hook anything. I had the drag pretty tight though, so I wonder if that was part of the problem.

I was using a floating line and a longish leader. The hits were a bit like a scene from jaws, the coho literally attacking the buck-tail, thrashing and shaking around at the surface. Worth it for the entertainment value alone...

I was thinking a trailing hook might help. The coho shredded the buck tail.

I'm by no means an expert here, but I have found that a loose drag seems to work better for me. Super sticky sharp hooks and yes, a trailing hook as well. Because there is virtually no tension on the line, the sharp hook setup seems to make the most difference.

The Willowleaf blade, the way it is designed is a faster blade through the water with less resistance than a Colorado.

Back