BST Forum

People avoid posting in the BST and other threads cause of other people with BS attitudes and views. This forum is a business and when people are afraid of a business they stay away.... That affects business. There has to be a line drawn between business and what certain people consider entertainment.

I don't think it should be used or thought of as a business.
Some people might need or want to use it as a business or second income, but it should be more of a buy and sell between like minded people with common interests. Trying to mimic commercial selling sites would make this forum More impersonal than it is now.

This is an entertainment and recreation forum isn't it
If what you are selling cannot stand up to any scrutiny or criticism then don't sell it here ( probably not doing anyone a favor anyway if you are trying to maximize your profit any way ) Go sell it where it will hit more people.

I think it should be kept as an extension on the forum where you can flog some thing and people can be free to comment on it.

Bruce09, Not the BST threads as a business...... The site as a whole. Do you have any clue what the owners have invested in this site? You don't think its a business? Do you not think they want advertisers and a successful site.

I am pretty dam sure they didn't invest their money in the site for entertainment value and the bashing of people let alone a mockery of items and things listed in the BST threads.

images

Bruce09, Not the BST threads as a business...... The site as a whole. Do you have any clue what the owners have invested in this site? You don't think its a business? Do you not think they want advertisers and a successful site.

I am pretty dam sure they didn't invest their money in the site for entertainment value and the bashing of people let alone a mockery of items and things listed in the BST threads.

Now I get your business reference. Thought you were trying to defend people hawking used $hit on here for their business.... LOL
Still I know friends who have similar forums and they do surprisingly well with them . With the owners of the forums even letting members sell similar and same items as them selves.

The bashing of people is another story altogether. It happens here more often on other threads than the BST thread.
Ironically enough though During all my searching on this forums archived threads Your name is a lot of time in the middle of some of the controversy... LOL

I am very new here and trying to get into saltwater fishing I fished lakes on the fly for years .
But when I tried to do a search yesterday on Parker boats . Not much info at all available but,what ended up happening was me reading old posts involving many other Parkers .....LOl Kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

I have been reading old threads for a few months now and this little site has quite a bit of tension in it as a casual observer.
Recently Someone selling his dead grand fathers fishing gear and someone getting out bid really does not have an overall bearing on the sites success.

But how respectful in general people are, will make it a easier place to have fun in .
Ps
The owners of the site looks like they have chosen the way they want the BS forum to run.
They are the ones you will have to convince.... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump............

Inlight of some of the BS in the BST threads of late and comments made last night I felt it was a great time to revisit this one.

Bump............

Inlight of some of the BS in the BST threads of late and comments made last night I felt it was a great time to revisit this one.

Well.... I'm new here and while I'm pretty savvy with how forums and the multitudes of personalities generally operate, I would think that many who are not would be reluctant to remain on this site and most certainly would not engage the BST area after a less than good experience trying to sell an item.

Every forum has it's 'tough crowd' that includes bullies, whiners, complainers, jokers, armchair committees and serious hard core enthusiasts. All with varying degrees of knowledge, experience and.... well stupidity (and I say that with a light hearted smile as I'm sure we've all had our moments). A little 'most respectful interpretation' practice goes a long way.

As for the BST: The item and post needs to be clear and detailed with location included. Questions and answers are acceptable. Opinions cause problems and those should be addressed via PM.

JMO as a new member here (Donning PPE)

Well l enjoy the interaction on the BS&T section of the forum. You learn a lot more about the item (and people on the forum) from many of the questions asked and the comments made.. I will use as an example the recent ad for 2600 prawn traps from China. Thanks to the comments and questions, l learned that there is a mesh size for commercial use that is different then recreational users, and the purpose for it. The size of the traps. That the traps work well are stainless steel as attested to by purchasers. The seller lives in the Comox Valley and will deliver all over the island and to Vancouver this weekend. This way of running a BS&T is fine with me.

Other forums require certain information to be given, if you want to respond to the seller for what ever reason you PM or email the user. Item can be bumped weekly. Thread to be deleted once sold.

Personly I feel bad for what has happened on threads such as the prawn trap thread and anchor thread. It shouldn't be allowed.

Perhaps you should ask the mods to put a lock on the thread, with an explanation of your concerns, if you feel it is getting out of hand. That would get you the result you want, but still allow constructive dialogue.

Well l enjoy the interaction on the BS&T section of the forum. You learn a lot more about the item (and people on the forum) from many of the questions asked and the comments made.. I will use as an example the recent ad for 2600 prawn traps from China. Thanks to the comments and questions, l learned that there is a mesh size for commercial use that is different then recreational users, and the purpose for it. The size of the traps. That the traps work well are stainless steel as attested to by purchasers. The seller lives in the Comox Valley and will deliver all over the island and to Vancouver this weekend. This way of running a BS&T is fine with me.

I agree with gungadin's post above but also add/agree that some BST reply posts do sometimes become unnesessary or even offensive. In these cases the comments should probably be either re-thought before posting or sent as a private personal message. We are all responsible for our own posts and maybe just take a few minutes before posting something that could be offensive or obstructive.

Other forums require certain information to be given, if you want to respond to the seller for what ever reason you PM or email the user. Item can be bumped weekly. Thread to be deleted once sold.

Personly I feel bad for what has happened on threads such as the prawn trap thread and anchor thread. It shouldn't be allowed.

FA, I have appreciated and valued your input and opinions here so I'd like to point out that I thought the 'Anchor System' thread started to go downhill when you gave a guy a hard time for his post when he stated that he was waiting for a cheaper system. The guy's comment wasn't overly necessary, true, and probably better as a PM conversaton but maybe that same advice could apply to you for your response to him ? ( Is that not your advice to others to follow? ) The guy posting that he wants to keep searching for a cheaper system may be wanting to see if the price can be dropped but is that worth complaining about or a reason to add more rules to the site? The fellow's comment may also have created someone to PM him directly who does have a cheaper set up available- Maybe an older, less quality system that he could afford? win-win...
Basically all I am saying here is if we all treat each other fairly and keep watch on ourselves and read our own comments before we hit that post button, then eliminating the ability to post replies in the BST thread won't be necessary.
**This post was read over twice in an attempt to cut out any offensive or rude reactionary comments** lol

Back