BST Forum

I don't think 'opinions/ comments' should be allowed to be posted.

So guess that makes me agree with Holmes.
A sticky should be posted as well saying "opinoins are not accepted" LOL

i consider it an unwritten rule, what's that our moms use to tell us, if ya don't have anything nice to say........TONS of other things to bash anyways, like dfo, unfair hali allocation, LICE FARMS....:mad:....holmes*

Don't forget your favorite Holmes...... The Canucks. Your specialty! Although you couldnt predict a game if your life
Depended on it. Haha :)

I think there should still be a way to show interest by posting a question or even just saying pm
Sent. If it is something ridiculous or overpriced that someone is trying to sell, I don't think there are many suckers on here that would bite. They would have better luck on craigslist.

I know a few people that operate automotive forums successfully. I could just get their format/formula as they seem to have it down pat. They're dealing with alot of the younger crowd/riff raff and don't put up with anything other than the rules stickied. Temporary ban offenders or perma ban repeat offenders from the site if they don't get it. Just need a few dilligent mods. They usually have anywhere up to 7 mods depending on how much traffic is using the bst forum at any given time. Long live the bst! Hth.

Bt

Bump.......

Considering what continues to happen when people want to buy sell or trade something I feel this thread could be revisited.

Last edited by a moderator:
The section could use a few rules maybe, some I have seen on other boards are:

put up your location
price
no auctions or OBO

The last thread went off the rails because the seller was not clear about the price or whether its was an auction or OBO.

posted this in the other thread, should be here

the best way to have the BNS forum is to have it as a non reply forum and all replys must be by PM only
nobodys feeling get hurt that way, I belong to a couple other forums that do it that way,
one of them being one of the biggest around in Canada with 120,000 members and it works perfectly there on the equipment exchange

and yes as already stated , price, location mandatory, all the rest by PM only, only the original poster has the ability to repost to the thread,
and rebump once a week

The last thread went off the rails because the seller was not clear about the price or whether its was an auction or OBO.

Exactly, so why then would it be necessary to impose a rule that would sensor comments on a forum? Clearer guidelines from admin to help sellers ( and buyers) would likely help ....however I don't agree that the Buy and Sell forum needs to be moved to a PM response only forum. If you want to PM to a seller you can do that, its already available. A forum is supposed to include open discussion. If the seller doesn't like public responses then stick to CL!!
I have actually seen and experienced mostly positive public responses for items I have sold and those have helped the sales. Case in point, comments from others including Tim/Hook'in up increased interest in an item I had for sale. That's a great advantage. As long as a potential buyer ( or the seller) isn't rude or derogatory in any way then opinions and comments are supposed to be welcome ? right? The forum rules already stipulate no personal attacks or slander, no ?

The B&S ad recently that went a bit haywire was IMO a simple 'miss' in approach by the seller and a first responder that seemed to feel they had more 'rights' than they did or that forum sales educate had a precise procedure to fit their agenda. If a buyer wants to say " I'll pay you more $ , they have that right to say that especially if the sell price is obviously lower than its value. Why sensor out information that a product might be worth more ? That's only a disadvantage to another buyer wanting a price below market value . Is it the forum' s admin's job to sensor out comments from members on a fair value of an item?

A simple explanation from admin of preferred educate on the B&S thread I suppose could help but the forum already has a process for dealing with member behavior issues.

I like BST Forum the way this is, you can see if someone is already interested in it or asked questions you are already wondering.
works fine 98% of the time.

I'd like to see the BST thread...

PM only.
Price and location must be part of the listing.
Lister can bump or relist weekly
No multiple ads for the same item.
Delete when sold.
Auto delete after 90 days.

And an option to report an ad

If you see an ad with 1000's of views you the purchaser will either realize its over priced of something is wrong.

As the seller, if you ad has 1000's of views and no interest. There is likely something you need to figure out.

Some of those are good points, others i dont like.

PM only. -I hate this option on the HBC bst forums. Sometimes on here you get a couple weird replies, but its a forum! its communication, and so others can see whats going on. Its great for seeing answers to questions others have asked, and learning and reading other things you may have over looked.its also good to see level of interest in an item your interested in and how quick you might need to be if you want it.

Price and location must be part of the listing. Yes, good idea, and they should be already

Lister can bump or re-list weekly - this taken out of the question with replies part of the post. if there have been no replies for 1+ week, then bump weekly at most.

No multiple ads for the same item. - yes agree (already is like this on the 99%)

Delete when sold. - No, post that it is sold sure, but its nice to see a history of what has been for sale and the different items that have come up on the forum. especially when your buying an item that someone had listed before (not the exact same item but a same model for example) to compare prices, condition, etc.

Auto delete after 90 days. - no, see above. its nice to see a history of items

And an option to report an ad - that already exists. see the exclamation mark in the bottom left corner of any post on the forum!

Some of those are good points, others i dont like.

PM only. -I hate this option on the HBC bst forums. Sometimes on here you get a couple weird replies, but its a forum! its communication, and so others can see whats going on. Its great for seeing answers to questions others have asked, and learning and reading other things you may have over looked.its also good to see level of interest in an item your interested in and how quick you might need to be if you want it.

Price and location must be part of the listing. Yes, good idea, and they should be already

Lister can bump or re-list weekly - this taken out of the question with replies part of the post. if there have been no replies for 1+ week, then bump weekly at most.

No multiple ads for the same item. - yes agree (already is like this on the 99%)

Delete when sold. - No, post that it is sold sure, but its nice to see a history of what has been for sale and the different items that have come up on the forum. especially when your buying an item that someone had listed before (not the exact same item but a same model for example) to compare prices, condition, etc.

Auto delete after 90 days. - no, see above. its nice to see a history of items

And an option to report an ad - that already exists. see the exclamation mark in the bottom left corner of any post on the forum!

agree with all of this. Wouldn't be worried if it stayed the way it is though.

I'd like to see the BST thread...

PM only.
Price and location must be part of the listing.
Lister can bump or relist weekly
No multiple ads for the same item.
Delete when sold.
Auto delete after 90 days.

And an option to report an ad

If you see an ad with 1000's of views you the purchaser will either realize its over priced of something is wrong.

As the seller, if you ad has 1000's of views and no interest. There is likely something you need to figure out.

I'd like to see members in all threads follow their own advice such as "this thread is dead, get out fishing" .... and not continue posting themselves in that very thread afterwards . Contradiction is anyoying too so lets add that to the "not allowed" list in the B&S forum.....or any forum here for that matter. ;)

I'd like to see members in all threads follow their own advice such as "this thread is dead, get out fishing" .... and not continue posting themselves in that very thread afterwards . Contradiction is anyoying too so lets add that to the "not allowed" list in the B&S forum.....or any forum here for that matter. ;)

Hehe. Well played sir.

is it really that big of an issue that a set of rules and guidelines needs to be established? If you've got some sh*t to sell then list it, if you don't want discussion(its a discussion board) then maybe craigslist is a better fit for you

So while you have a great audience to market boat/fishing related items, you may have to deal with a few chirps from the peanut gallery - deal with it bros.

If you have time to worry about this, you probably have time to go fishing - sun is shining, get out there.

is it really that big of an issue that a set of rules and guidelines needs to be established? If you've got some sh*t to sell then list it, if you don't want discussion(its a discussion board) then maybe craigslist is a better fit for you

So while you have a great audience to market boat/fishing related items, you may have to deal with a few chirps from the peanut gallery - deal with it bros.

If you have time to worry about this, you probably have time to go fishing - sun is shining, get out there.

Yeah wish I could get out but shes quite iced- in - nows' when I need an alloy hull !!! - The Grady doesn't do well cutting through 2" thick ice !
THank you for your post above Poppa ^^^^ A shorter sweeter version of my feeling ( from post #29) I have been thinking this whole thread......and the one that was closed on the Buy and Sell forum .....whats all the fuss about ? Are guys (such as Sculpin mentioned) ... truly scared to post on the BST thread or avoiding it ? Surely life has with it much scarier times than posting on the Buy and sell forum ? lol

Yeah wish I could get out but shes quite iced- in - nows' when I need an alloy hull !!! - The Grady doesn't do well cutting through 2" thick ice !
THank you for your post above Poppa ^^^^ A shorter sweeter version of my feeling ( from post #29) I have been thinking this whole thread......and the one that was closed on the Buy and Sell forum .....whats all the fuss about ? Are guys (such as Sculpin mentioned) ... truly scared to post on the BST thread or avoiding it ? Surely life has with it much scarier times than posting on the Buy and sell forum ? lol

People avoid posting in the BST and other threads cause of other people with BS attitudes and views. This forum is a business and when people are afraid of a business they stay away.... That affects business. There has to be a line drawn between business and what certain people consider entertainment.

As for alloy boats.... I got one but wind on a cold day keeps many doing other things. I wish I was out there right now. But with a wind chill of -2 and dropping to -8 I'll stay home.

Are guys (such as Sculpin mentioned) ... truly scared to post on the BST thread or avoiding it ? Surely life has with it much scarier times than posting on the Buy and sell forum ? lol

I probably chose those words to be a bit on the polite side :).

get a life and live by your own rules, AND quit thinking you are so intelligent that you have to make rules for everyone else to post by! Society needs rules for an orderly and safe life--sellers on a forum should be able to survive on their own...

Back