Browns Bay reports

hey hali-- how did you make out at Plumper today? Anything? In 4 hrs fishing this AM I only saw one fish taken.....

Despite the post by Tortuga in another thread

"A bit of good news.
Test fisheries up north just broke some records.
Not positive about the size but I'm guessing bigger than last year.

It seems to me that nobody has experienced real good fishing for chum this year. I'm not sure that an earlier or later date for the derby would result in better fishing than we will experience this coming weekend.

The Big Q and the Puntledge are full of chum.
A couple weeks a go they were jumping everywhere at the north end of Lambert channel.
There are lots of fish around to account for the record tests but they sure weren't biters.
We need a second wave of biters, thats for sure.

arrived yesterday to an orca show going on at plumper, went out from 4-6 had one good hit but did not see a nets out, two fish being cleaned when we got in.
fished today from 11-4, another slow day, released a coho, boxed this crome doe but lost the other half of the double header. fishing with the seiners in the morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Thursday afternoon landed 10 had alot more hits, Friday full day landed 6 and fished Saturday morning and landed 1. Pink and black worked best on the bluff by Deepwater Bay.

Hard fishing again at Sep Head , did manage 3 fish , did fish 6 hours .Seen only a couple other boats catch fish whats working for me is the squirt chum hoochie with 28in leader and purple haze flasher .I fish 4 rods 6 flashers and cover depths from 50 - 80 , all fish were at 80 feet .
usually I troll with my kicker but it kicked the bucket and waiting for a sale to get a new one so am trolling with my 150 so am trolling a bit fast , I dont know if the speed is whats working but hopefully any of this will help ya .

Everett

Attachments

• DSC00594.jpg
    DSC00594.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 108
Washed gear for hours today with a couple friends. The only fish we seen were in the seiners nets. Didn't see any fining, jumping or nets in the air. This has to be the worst Chum season to date that I have ever seen for Browns Bay.

I will not travel to Browns Bay again this season unless the fishing starts to get better.

Crappy fishing. Guess if things don't turn around soon it won't be much of a derby. Fingers crossed for better fishing soon.

Quote.......hey hali-- how did you make out at Plumper today? Anything? In 4 hrs fishing this AM I only saw one fish taken...

Wasn't me, there is a 24' Ive seen around maybe it was him. Every time I have thought about going there has been lousy reports.

Lots Seiners heading south, going by Campbell River, most looked like they are riding high.
Only seen one so far that is a bit low in the water. Hope the chums will be here in
good numbers for the derby, and that they are the biters. ...........BB

Was out today 1pm -4pm Lots of seiners . All were pulled up by 2pm and heading south. I fished half way to green sea just past Quadra then down north of deep water. Only saw one other boat I stopped and talked to up north no fish seen none jumping by them. Headed farther south to deepwater and finally saw another boat fishing deepwater and at around 3 pm saw my first and only 2 jumpers of the day. 4 other boats came out after 3pm never saw any fish hit and I never had even a sniff. Fished 55'-90' pink and pink/black squirts 4 flashers 2 rods.

Has there been any numbers released from the Albion counters yet? Or is it still early for that?

Ray

Sorry folks, neither link seems to want to open. I tried to delete the posts but I couldn't. In any event, it appears that over 1,000 caught in the last 3 days via gill net in test fishery. I did what Derby said and googled it. Cheers

Back