Brooks Bay / Lawn Point tips?

likwit

Hey All

We are headed on our annual kayak trip this year at the end of July and are headed up to the north end of the Brooks Peninsula and going to paddle around the Lawn Point / Brooks Bay area.

As per usual, we'll be fishing... I've been trolling spoons mostly with a 6 or 8 oz slip weight. A couple years ago we did great for coho near Kyuquot but no salmon last year :(

Anyone have any suggestions for spots close to shore where I might be lucky enough to encounter a salmon or two? Can I expect there be coho around up there at that time?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Likwit

Hey Likwit, the best day fishing I had last year was off Lawn Point.We (Tyee Slayer) and myself nailed a ton of fish including our limit of 4 springs all over 25lbs in 50ft of water. I had on a green/silver coyote with a small green flasher. Look for the birds, and be careful there's an RCA right there in Brooks Bay and the North side of the peninsula. Check the DFO Pacific website for the details.BRS

Sounds like a great trip. Should be lots of cohoe by the time you get there, sure hope so.:D Be aware of the RCAs in Brooks Bay, may just have to paddle through there? Met a couple in Winter Harbour last year, they were from NY state, they paddled from Victoria, up the inside of EVISL passing Campbell River, Port hardy, and around the top of the island . Last time I saw them they were heading down the west coast to Victoria. Good luck on your trip...BB

thanks for the heads up about the RCAs... looks like besides lawn point, south west off of heater point there is a 'bit' of room to fish as well.

25 pound springs in 50 feet of water sounds perfect! man would i love to hook into one of those. a coho might be better size wise for our group though... but i'd take either! ;)

i've never been there... is it a standard sort of fish off the kelp beds sort of thing? or just right off the point? i'm not gonna have a depth finder...

Hey BB you must be SLOW if I can beat you on the keyboard!! Likwit you'll be fine there's lots of fish right off the point and you don't need a sounder especially if there are birds around. Beautiful area to hang out check it out on google earth. I found a cool spot that I never made it to half way up the Brooks peninsula on the north side. A little sandy beach with an inlet. Maybe a good camp spot but watch the wind it usually blows NW that time of year. Good Luck BRS

Back