Brisket

When's dinner?

It's actually for noon on wed.

Tues night @7 into the bradley low and slow for 9 hrs. Smoke for 5 hrs, another 4 hrs till 165 int. temp

4 am... Out of smoker into foil trays with an apple juice bath, splash of Kraken for the beef and the chef. Cover trays with tin foil, move into kitchen oven at 220, 4-5 hrs to reach int. temp of 195.

Out of oven at 9 am, remove beef from trays and wrap separately and tightly with tinfoil. Wrap each brisket in a towel and pack all into a cooler covering with towels to fill cooler. This step is important, it holds the internal temp and allows the meat to totally break down. If brisket is going to be sliced like Montreal smoked meat this step can be reduced or omitted as you like.

After 3 hours, remove and unwrap and enjoy, it should fall apart and melt in your mouth!! Reserve some of the apple juice marinade from the oven trays for dipping.

7238069A-75BD-4764-8C00-75CC54962F98_zps7r2fflan.jpg

All stuffed into smoker, apple and mesquite pucks. Smells and looks good enough to eat already!

D0C35639-46F0-4186-89EF-2C2F6FEF7EDD_zps6mnfxkzh.png

Watching internal temp rise on iphone/ipad with iGrill meat probe. Connects bluetooth to wireless probe, you can preset min/max temps to get txt alerts, new iGrill2 available hosts 4 probes at a time!

Now that it's gone, (in about 20 minutes), I can't wait to do another one !!

Here we are after 8 hours in the Bradley, beef is cooked, but needing tenderizing...

Sitting in apple juice bath ready to go into oven for 4 1/2 hours...

After oven bath, now we're starting to fall apart...

Bundled in foil and wrapped in towels for 3 1/2 hour rest in cooler before serving...

Sliced and ready for the wolves...

BGM, I have only bought the whole vac packed briskets from local butcher. The cap is the fatty layer on top of the brisket. You try to trim the heaviest of the fat off, leaving 1/2" or so. The flat is at the thinner end of the brisket, the other thicker end is called the point and is made up of two sections. The lower layer of the point is the flat, and this is covered by the point. I find the point to be the tenderest, generally it ends up like pulled pork. When slicing the "flat", it will hold together better, but is just as tender. Also, when slicing the whole thing up, I carve the upper "point" off the top of the "flat" at the thick end, it is separated by a nice fat layer, so this is easy to follow. This is because these two sections have 90* opposite grain direction and each must be sliced across the grain. Confusing, here's a graphic,

Do you still get burnt ends by finishing it in the oven? I do mine in an offset and my favourite appy is the burnt ends with a cold one (if there is any left after 16 hrs of cooking).

Do you still get burnt ends by finishing it in the oven? I do mine in an offset and my favourite appy is the burnt ends with a cold one (if there is any left after 16 hrs of cooking).

Not so much, the foil tray is covered with foil also, keeping the moisture in. The trays fill up with the fats breaking down and small trays like these need to be skimmed off to keep from overflowing. They are dripping moist and juicy when done.

Back