Brined Baits

walleyes

Crew Member
A post got me to thinking, what effect does brined bait have on fish that eat the bait we brine in different substances. What does that hunk of anchovie do to the insides and guts of the fish. Would you eat a hunk of bait that was soaked in Mrs Stewart’s denim bluing, how about one soaked in the pe maid brines with that nice bright chartreuse colouring in it, some even have UV additives in them. Since we are all on the doing what’s best for the salmon and condemning fellow fisherman kick. How many of the holier than thou use these products I wonder.

I had a friend that would preserve his bait in formaldehyde until he came with me in my boat one time and I absolutely forbid him to use that bait from my boat. He couldn’t understand why, I explained to him what does he think happens to the fish that steal the bait and eat that meat, what effect does that have on their insides. No way was he using that. He has since come to realize it’s not smart to use and has quit using it.

Just a thought is all.

Last edited:
We especially don’t like the ones that may effect us hey, better to let them just go by the way side and ignore them. After all, what we do is alright it’s the other guys that are to blame.

Not trying to start a fight just trying to open some eyes is all, Don’t throw bricks, you know what I mean.

No need for anyone to reply to this post, just read it and think about it is all.

We especially don’t like the ones that may effect us hey, better to let them just go by the way side and ignore them. After all, what we do is alright it’s the other guys that are to blame.

Not trying to start a fight just trying to open some eyes is all, Don’t throw bricks, you know what I mean.

No need for anyone to reply to this post, just read it and think about it is all.
I hear yah. It's a totally valid point. I'm just being a smart butt. I'm all about the survival of the fish.

All’s cool RC.

I mean some of the brines are fine I know that, I researched the blueing die a few years ago before I used it myself and its safe to humans but do we know for sure it is to the fish. And I’m just not so sure about some of the bought cures. I’m no angel either I’ve used it and probly will again, but one has to wonder about those dies in it. If a fish eats it it has to process those dies, and what’s that UV additive in it, what does that do to the fish. One really has to wonder right. And if one thing is bad then what makes the other any better. Again, don’t throw bricks people.

Kind of interesting.

This is on the pathway of "what does....." do to the fish, ocean, environment, Exhaust through your outboard..... etc.

I used to use those brines, don't anymore just use salt. But that was more due to accidental spills in the boat. Used to use X10, but don't anymore same reason.

Back