Braid

I run braid with a mono topper and love the response once you see a hit. You will notice every little movement of your clip down in 100+ feet of water provided you have reeled the slack out of your rod.

PNT has the backer and braid in bulk... think with was like $15/100yrds for the 80lbs when I did my hali rods this summer so the 50# is most likely a little cheaper.

Hey Ericl ,
Is superfly clearFlex cement same as "braid glue" ?
From what I can determine, no

I use toro tamer from www.charkbait.com

300yrd is plenty.
In most situations. Bret Johnson, a guide out of Massett (BIG fish in shallow water) says no, need 500. I lost what was probably a very large fish years back; got cut-off on DR wire from another boat, which was at least 50 yards away. 200 yards past that point of line were gone, this all happened in under 10 seconds with 10# drag setting. It was probably a foul-hooked large fish.
How many yard spool do you usual purchase of Power Pro for a Islander MR3 . Thinking of going 50lb
I have my regs filled at the shop from bulk spools using a shop that will put the proper tension (lot's of it) when filling the reel. It lasts decades so fill er up.

All braids are not equal! I tried a new brand of Braid this year on my jigging reels over Power Pro. Lets just say 5 minutes into fishing I regretted it right a way. The cheeper braid started to bleed color all over the place on the boat, my hands, my pants everywhere. My hands where stained green. I also have a strong feeling that the cheeper braid tangled way more than Power Pro. I will be switching back to Power Pro next year
Hahaha, Sounds like you made the old mistake of cheaping out in favour of spiderwire...

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Now like I said I have a Islander MR3
So how many yards of 50 lb braid should I put on it ?

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Now like I said I have a Islander MR3
So how many yards of 50 lb braid should I put on it ?

per Andrew above...take it to PNT in Steveston and get them to spool it with sufficient backer and braid the you add the mono. That’s what I did....only in Parksville—- no fuss, no muss.

I have averaged out all your comments on braid length and will be getting 364 yards of braid, from PNT. Haha ! JK !
Going to get it done at PNT. 400 yards of 50 braid, then Mono .
Thanks for your responses !

Back