Bow Mounted Trolling Motor with Virtual Anchor

I agree, guide is the way to go! I'm always hyping guides, including mentioning Blue Wolf in my socials and guides in general in my videos.

Trotac Trevor did my anchor setup, my shoulder hasn't popped out pulling the anchor, I just dread the day when it does and I'm on the last few feet of chain the anchor slips through the ring! I'll get some lighter chain!

1/4 chain is all you need. Just make sure you have enough so the weight of the chain out weighs the anchor. Lighter line helps alot. Most guys think they need heavy anchor line for this. You don't. 3/8 3 strand rope works just fine. Most has a breaking strength in the 4000lbs rating. You can buy 1800 ft spools of 3/8 rope for under 300 bucks. Then the prawn haulers work great for reeling in the slack line.

I don't see the bow mounts working in our waters. Too much tide and current. It's not something to rely on for safety. Sounds like just another thing to have to pay attention to and worry about.

I got a 36V Rhodan with 63AH Dakota batteries just installed and haven't used it yet, will let you know how it performs.
I was initially looking into powering it from house batteries, but found no effective solutions to do 12-36V (@ 50 amps!)

you do get electric windlasses for anchors. just hit a button.
but yeah, BC trolling motors on the bow are basically useless.

I’m with you Kale in the wish to simplify quick setups and easier boat control,
- spot lock, jog, slow troll on a bearing… my Terrova with I-pilot was amazing in the freshwater and made it bearable to fish with this handful. I’ve since sold that boat and has been cost prohibitive to outfit my bigger boat considering the risk of effectiveness.

Light at the end of the tunnel- my boy is now 9 and a great help captaining the boat/helping out… can’t say I don’t keep my eye out for some sort of auto-pilot system though. Ha.

Attachments

• 92F404B8-3C10-4CA2-8FE1-08E8F1EFB580.png
    92F404B8-3C10-4CA2-8FE1-08E8F1EFB580.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
This weekend would be a good time! Halibut tides, ling cod, while we wait for the prawns to fill the traps…
Tested it out in the harbor yesterday, it was windy but calm seas. It holds the spot ok, but will see how it performs in fishing conditions. Easy to operate - drop it down, press the button on remote, lift it back when done. I guess it'd be nice to have an automatic deploy, but Rhodans don't have it.

Update - was out yesterday. This 36V bow mounted electric trolling motor works very well for me. Started with 100% and finished with 34% battery left (63AH capacity) after about 5-6 hours of total run time. The wind or currents weren't very strong, but I also used it to move from one spot to another. I didn't even have my engines on running idle when I was locked in a spot or was moving around it, which is nice. Overall super convenient and highly recommended.

Fishing was slow, but a very nice sunny day. Released 2 undersized lings and got a bunch of prawns and flounders.

OK i have to ask this as im very curious ??? when I am on anchour and im on top of a pinnacles thats quite small say half a football field in 300 feet of water I set my anchor in front of it as I know how far back I am going to go so im right were I want to be .
How is this system going to hold me exactlly on that spot with a strong ebb and a bit of wind etc?????.
As I WANT to be as close as I can on top of that so called pinnacle so the halibut come to my scent ...

I'm also qurious as to how long these things wpuld have to be to put on the bow of a 23 or 25 foot boat? 8 or 9 ft long? Lol

I'm also qurious as to how long these things wpuld have to be to put on the bow of a 23 or 25 foot boat? 8 or 9 ft long? Lol
You asked for the long shaft, here it is 9 feet. https://www.rhodanmarine.com/product/hd-gps-anchor-trolling-motor-36v/

Not as cheap or reliable as an anchor, but good for big and small boats as long as you are not fishing in the large swell off the west coast. Cost, weight and electrical challenges, but we know all can be overcome.

I don't think you would have any trouble hitting the top of a pinnacle once you know how to use it, but only the guys on this thread know for sure. https://minnkota-help.johnsonoutdoo...les/4419133354775-Using-Jog-with-i-Pilot-Link

Anyone here have a Garmin autopilot with sabiki mode? Apparently it does a decent job of holding in one spot. I know my Lowrance looses its mind if I’m not moving. I’ve contacted Lowrance and asked them if they could create something that would efficiently hold in one spot or a really slow backtroll.

Mine is 9 ft long on a 33 ft boat. In fairly calm water the propeller rarely popped up above the water but I haven't used the full length shaft with about 3 more feet available.

OK i have to ask this as im very curious ??? when I am on anchour and im on top of a pinnacles thats quite small say half a football field in 300 feet of water I set my anchor in front of it as I know how far back I am going to go so im right were I want to be .
How is this system going to hold me exactlly on that spot with a strong ebb and a bit of wind etc?????.
As I WANT to be as close as I can on top of that so called pinnacle so the halibut come to my scent ...
It will hold you as close as the GPS tolerance of that brand allows. I had heard Rhodan has a patent on a more accurate calculation that other mfgs get around by having a heading sensor as part of their system. Generally they will hold location within 1m.

If the wind and tide are too much you can always turn on your outboard to give a constant extra thrust to help the trolling motor. This additional thrust method also works to use the trolling motor as an auto pilot and make battery charge last longer.

It will hold you as close as the GPS tolerance of that brand allows. I had heard Rhodan has a patent on a more accurate calculation that other mfgs get around by having a heading sensor as part of their system. Generally they will hold location within 1m.

If the wind and tide are too much you can always turn on your outboard to give a constant extra thrust to help the trolling motor. This additional thrust method also works to use the trolling motor as an auto pilot and make battery charge last longer.
Sounds like a lot of money for something I can just toss an anchor over and not have to always be monitoring and watching I have hard enough time doing that LOL thats one thing I like about halibut fishing once anchor is down alll I do is put my effort into watching rod tips and sitting there if I was to use something like this id always be watching making sure we arent moving , doesnt sound relaxing to me...IMO

Back