Lithium Batteries on Sale

Alex_c

Amazon in the US and Canada has lithium batteries on sale this week.

You can get a pair of 100ah mini LiFePO4 batteries for $475 USD shipped. Prime days in the US tomorrow and Wednesday might have even deeper discounts. Now would be a great time to upgrade and shed some weight from the boat or RV. 2 100ah lithium batteries will give you the same effective capacity as 4 6v, 200ah golf cart batteries, at a much lower weight.

Here’s a very thorough and technical teardown of one of this brand’s batteries, if anyone is suspicious of quality.

Attachments

• 5BF306B9-4290-4848-B48C-9936D37BB9E6.png
    5BF306B9-4290-4848-B48C-9936D37BB9E6.png
    327.5 KB · Views: 6
Amazon in the US and Canada has lithium batteries on sale this week.

You can get a pair of 100ah mini LiFePO4 batteries for $475 USD shipped. Prime days in the US tomorrow and Wednesday might have even deeper discounts. Now would be a great time to upgrade and shed some weight from the boat or RV. 2 100ah lithium batteries will give you the same effective capacity as 4 6v, 200ah golf cart batteries, at a much lower weight.

Here’s a very thorough and technical teardown of one of this brand’s batteries, if anyone is suspicious of quality.

Can these simply replace the other batteries or is there additional gear needed to make it compatible with the engine alternator etc?

You’ll need a lithium charger (my Victron and noco do this) for shore power and a dc to dc controller for your alternator.

Those are pretty affordable. They don’t have low temp shut off, which is really necessary if we are going to leave them plugged in over the winter. They also can’t be put in parallel for 24 and 36v trolling motors.

This one may be better but buyer beware compared to more expensive ones that will hopefully be on sale too. Battery costs are plumitting along with Tesla prices!

You’ll need a lithium charger (my Victron and noco do this) for shore power and a dc to dc controller for your alternator.

Those are pretty affordable. They don’t have low temp shut off, which is really necessary if we are going to leave them plugged in over the winter. They also can’t be put in parallel for 24 and 36v trolling motors.

This one may be better but buyer beware compared to more expensive ones that will hopefully be on sale too. Battery costs are plumitting along with Tesla prices!
Good call on the dc-dc converter between alternator and battery and low temp shut off. If you don’t plan on charging them in cold temps, low temp shut off isn’t absolutely necessary.

Most modern smart chargers are adequate for lithium batteries. As long as the charger has constant current and constant voltage modes, you should be ok.

You’d run 2 12V in series to get 24V, and this is ok to do if you charge them individually, or use one charger on each battery. The risk of single charger across a series battery setup is the risk of unbalanced charging. A parallel configuration would give you 2x capacity at the same voltage. If you need 48V, there are 48v batteries available that are used for server backups.

Built my own. 2 batteries in one group 31 box. 1/3 the weight of the originals. Lead is dead.

Longer runtime, way less weight where it matters most.

Built my own. 2 batteries in one group 31 box. 1/3 the weight of the originals. Lead is dead.

Longer runtime, way less weight where it matters most.
Great option if you have a good supplier for
cells, and know what you’re doing. Bad terminations on high current wiring is a good way to start fires, as a warning to anyone inexperienced. There are a lot of “grade A” cells out there that are b-grade cells, which will result in a lower battery life and capacity. Will Prowse has some great info on his Youtube channel.

I’ve read that you’ll need a Class “D” fire extinguisher as an ABC won’t work.

Your vessel insurance will likely need to be updated to include lithium batteries.

Also, your marina might have some special requirements (I know ours does, or will by the end of the year).

FD

I’ve read that you’ll need a Class “D” fire extinguisher as an ABC won’t work.

Your vessel insurance will likely need to be updated to include lithium batteries.

Also, your marina might have some special requirements (I know ours does, or will by the end of the year).

FD
My understanding of LifePo4 batteries is that they are classified as a C class fire and can be extinguished with a traditional abc fire extinguisher. Lithium ion batteries are a class D fire. Please correct me if I am wrong.

i just tried buying 6 eco worthy and the order was cancelled -- no stock. they dont update realistic stock levels. finally bought 6 dakotas.

Anyone want to buy my AGM? Prices are getting crazy but will likely be equivalent for Black Friday.

Here is one with low temp cut off and a mini getting close to $200 USD after all the discounts, there are more when you visit their web page and use the Honey app.

🔥
Low Temp Cut-Off Protection
🔥
Upgraded BMS & More Suitable for Your Trolling Motor​

Redodo 12V 100Ah Mini LiFePO4 battery | 1.28kWh & 1.28kW

$349.99 $249.99
Auto $20 Off & Extra 5% Off Code
The compact 1/2 mini body with 2 times higher energy density, lasting longer, more stable performance and superior efficiency. Its own built-in BMS to ensure the battery safety, 10 years lifespan and 4000-15000 cycles.​
SPECIAL OFFER
Extra 5% Discount
Valid for 18 hours

Use code: Mini5 at checkout, or click the link below to automatically apply the discount to your order.​
Offer valid Oct 11, 2023 - Oct 12, 2023​

If I have a standard deep cycle and starting battery in my boat right now, are these a good swap for both of those?
No, Just the deep cycle and if you put in charging protection, DC-DC charger or similar. Most Lifep04 don't list the Cold Cranking Amps which you will want to know before looking for one for a starting battery. There are a few starting LipeP04 batteries that I have seen, this is one https://dakotalithium.com/product/d...r-starter-deep-cycle-lifepo4-battery-1000cca/

No, Just the deep cycle and if you put in charging protection, DC-DC charger or similar. Most Lifep04 don't list the Cold Cranking Amps which you will want to know before looking for one for a starting battery. There are a few starting LipeP04 batteries that I have seen, this is one https://dakotalithium.com/product/d...r-starter-deep-cycle-lifepo4-battery-1000cca/
This is is really important - you should never have lead-acid or AGM batteries on the same circuit as Lithium. Lithium should always be on an isolated circuit with the DC-to-DC charger separating the two. There are a few reviews on the Enjoybot batteries.

Back