Bottom painting aluminum boat

capman

I've been keeping my 24' aluminum boat at Lions Gate Marina for the last few years until now that they have increased the monthly fee by almost 40%. The boat has always been on a trailer while not being used. Now thinking of moving it to Mosquito Creek in NV where the boat will be sitting on the water at all times. Should I bottom paint the boat prior to moving the boat? I understand it is almost a must to bottom paint glass boats but like to hear from you guys about your opinion on having an aluminum boat kept in the water for a long period of time.

BTW, is anyone on this forum having his or her boat at Mosquito Creek? Would be great to hear about your experience.

Thank you

i have kept mine off and on in the drink, annual powerwash, scuff, touch up primer and repaint.
think about adding extra zincs.

I kept an aluminum gillnetter at false creek fisherman's wharf for a decade. No bottom paint.
You start watching for the spat on the hull.
Good news is that you can use tidal grids to scrape barnacles and pressure wash when you don't have bottom paint.
I also waxed the water line where most growth occurs. Growth slides off when you travel.

I kept an aluminum gillnetter at false creek fisherman's wharf for a decade. No bottom paint.
You start watching for the spat on the hull.
Good news is that you can use tidal grids to scrape barnacles and pressure wash when you don't have bottom paint.
I also waxed the water line where most growth occurs. Growth slides off when you travel.

great knowledge !!

I'm at mcm in a shed now after moving from lgm, dry slipped in the sheds. Depending on where they put you at mcm, you won't pick up a lot of bottom debris. The hull on ours is freshly painted as is the out drive but after 5 months I haven't noticed much at all on the hull and only a whif on the drive. I'm going to stay wet slipped from now on and haul out in the spring. You'll spend more being wet slipped for sure below the waterline but at least you can access your boat at mcm on a predictable basis.

I think a fair amount of freshwater moves into mcm that helps contain the growth although I have seen some neglected boats with lots going on below the water line.

As for the marina itself I really like it here. Its well secured now and everyone I've met is totally cool.

I keep my boat at mosquito Creek. The office ladies are nice. It's an old school feel. But the docks and whatnot are dumpy. And you have to pay to park. I would highly recommend bottom paint. My first aluminum boat we didn't. It was a nightmare to clean. Specifically the white rings from barnacle residue. We kept it in Point Roberts. Not as much moving water as mosquito Creek. ..After that the first thing I did when I got my new boat was paint the bottom. Also i have a buddy who got piting in his aluminum where the undergrowth was bad. We paid 1600 for the painting to be done. We'll redo it after next year.

I keep my boat at mosquito Creek. The office ladies are nice. It's an old school feel. But the docks and whatnot are dumpy. And you have to pay to park. I would highly recommend bottom paint. My first aluminum boat we didn't. It was a nightmare to clean. Specifically the white rings from barnacle residue. We kept it in Point Roberts. Not as much moving water as mosquito Creek. ..After that the first thing I did when I got my new boat was paint the bottom. Also i have a buddy who got piting in his aluminum where the undergrowth was bad. We paid 1600 for the painting to be done. We'll redo it after next year.
Thanks for the info Brett! May ask how big your aluminum boat is?

If you are going unpainted, then it's twice a year bottom cleaning.
Barnacle spat happens sometime in the spring, then hit the summer growth in early fall.
You do not want to be pressure washing organic material on top of yourself in the heat of summer!

sand to brite, solvent wash, interprotect 3/4 coats depending on ml thickness, one fiberglass bottom coat wait for it to kick. use fingerprint rule , then abalative antifoul of your choice

Personally I wouldn’t moor an aluminum boat in the salt without a good barrier coat. The anti fouling is just a bonus. The barrier coat is your first defence against corrosion. Zincs are second. Without a barrier coat your zincs will be working overtime and all you need is a neighbour leaking voltage and you’ll have a big headache.

i slapped on 8 coats of alternating grey/white interprotect 2000e on mine. works great.

whatever bottom paint you use, do not use one with cuprous oxide as it will cause galvanic corrosion, as the copper in it will last longer in a saline solution than the aluminum. Be real careful on this. DAJ

If you use a bottom paint with copper you must apply a epoxy barrier coat before applying the bottom paint. This will keep the copper from reacting with the aluminum.

Back