bottom paint on aluminum boat advice

GK1

Hi,
I've just bought an (~10yr old) welded aluminum boat, 21'. It has never had bottom paint, although the hull was lacquered with some sort of clear coat when new. I'll be keeping it in the water, for most of the year, so need to have the bottom painted. I'm in Sooke, but am willing to travel as far as sydney to have the job done by the right people. Does anyone have any advice on where to have this done, good or bad reviews of bottom paint jobs? From what I have gathered so far ideally I would have it sandblasted (to remove the lacquer and prep the hull) then have it painted right away, with at least 3 coats of inter protect before bottom paint.

Any suggestions or advice on how or where to have this done?

I've heard that I have few paint options other than trilux here in canada, does anyone know of a better option for bottom paint?

Thanks! First post as you see, I've lurked for a while here I'll try to be more useful now.

Yes there is other options other than Trilux (which is copper based I believe). E-paint is one with no copper and it's not harmful to the ocean whatsoever (copper based anti-fowl can be, allegedly). There are other 'ablative' anti-fowl paints available as well.

With aluminum you are correct in saying that you want to do an epoxy barrier-coat first. Always a good idea even if you put aluminum safe anti-fowlant on! Not sure what paint I would go with if I did it again. Trilux is very prevalent, it works (gotta be careful with aluminum of course). The E-paint on the boat I use has been working well, just need to touch it up annually.

From what I have been told doing the proper prep and epoxy barrier coat will save many headaches down the road.

you should get the bottom bead blasted to take off whatever is on there including corrosion. then you will have to used a two part epoxy barrier coat, Interlux - Interprotect 2000E, as an example, to stop electrolysis. that is then topped with a couple heavy coats of Trilux 33. if you are careful, that bottom paint will last about 3-4 years of constant use. bottom paint on Aluminum hulls is completely and totally different than on glass hulls.

I just checked with Trotac, and was informed that E-paint is not (or is no longer, not sure) available in Canada either, they had 1 quart of white left on the shelf. Where did you find E-Paint Fishin'Zinn?

Reelfast, Unfortunately Trilux 33 is not available in canada as far as I can tell, only trilux 2, which gets mixed reviews. I've never heard of bead blasting, I take it that is better than sand blasting? Do you (or anyone) know the do's and don't of sandblasting? E.g. media, technique, etc.

Thanks

bead blasting is a bit less abrasive than sand blasting, that's about it. several 'hot rod' shops in the area can offer the bead blasting, you might want to check that source. not good news regarding the paint that is available in Canada. you might sent an email to West Marine product folks and ask about alternatives. they will eventually respond.

I have the same size boat and just called a couple places last week to have this done. Jenkins quoted me about 1500 to 2000. And my other quote was in sidney and was around 3500. I would call jenkins and they will explain the process.

i should have also mentioned that places that do powder coating often do their prep work via bead blasting.

the most important steps are a clean aluminum, without oxidization, followed by two coats of appropriately applied epoxy barrier coating. that then is topped with ablative paint. my epoxy coating was applied in 2006 and has never been redone! i would assume for $3,500, you would be getting the entire process. for anything less in cost than that, i would be asking questions. keep in mind, you can't simply apply any bottom paint to the aluminum without that barrier layer of epoxy. electrolysis will result if you do not protect the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked with Trotac, and was informed that E-paint is not (or is no longer, not sure) available in Canada either, they had 1 quart of white left on the shelf. Where did you find E-Paint Fishin'Zinn?

Have to order it from US and have it shipped (ya it sucks)! Pretty important stuff you want something that's going to work well - Really a pain when there is nothing locally

This is probably the best thread I have ever come across for doing a proper bottom paint job on an alloy hull. Chaps from the AAB forum does this for a living and gives a great photo and description follow along.

http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3589&p=28871

If he wasn't in Washington, I would get him to do mine in a heart beat:). One day I will get off the pot and get someone local to do this system on my boat.

There is a mobile guy out of victoria that has a large van that he does sandblasting out of i belive he told me he does work for Jenkins,have also seen him at other boat yards doing sandblasting with his van.it was a few years ago but i think it cost me 650 to get three layers of bottom paint off.would need to have the boat up on blocks to get at it properly.then you could purchase the paints yourself and paint it yourself or hire sombody

I no longer have his number but I'm sure you can get it from one of the boat yards around victoria

I'm pretty good friends with Axel Kedding from CMDS (Canadian Mobile Dustless Sandblasting). They have set up a pretty impressive shop here in Nanaimo. I've just been to busy doing other things with the boat to worry about it right now. Might have it done sooner than later or wait till next spring. I kinda like the dairy cow pattern on there now lol :).

This is probably the best thread I have ever come across for doing a proper bottom paint job on an alloy hull. Chaps from the AAB forum does this for a living and gives a great photo and description follow along.

http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3589&p=28871

If he wasn't in Washington, I would get him to do mine in a heart beat:). One day I will get off the pot and get someone local to do this system on my boat.

thats exactly how mine was done. only have to redo the ablative coating from time to time. if done correctly, everything else stays adhered to the hull. important to not miss any of these steps.

Back