Bottom bouncing for winter springs

fishing for lake trout using the same bottom bouncing method also works pretty good,

When running a dummy with the flasher clipped to the rear ball loop
can you still chase the bottom without screwing up the flasher ?
I would think the flasher would bash into the deck on the lower part of the rotation ?

When running a dummy with the flasher clipped to the rear ball loop
can you still chase the bottom without screwing up the flasher ?
I would think the flasher would bash into the deck on the lower part of the rotation ?

That's what i thought to ,but all the springs i caught last year i was dragging in the sand when the hits came on with a kone on the lower eye ... maybe all the sand
stirring up attracts and looks like some sand storm feeding action down there .

Last edited by a moderator:
80% of my Winter fish come from within 10 feet or less from the bottom. Watch your electronics for bait and fish marks and chase em up in the column if they are there. This screen shot came on a day this winter where there was fish and bait up and down the water column and we caught fish on bottom as well as suspended. Some days in winter everything is in the bottom 20 feet of the water column. Trust your fishfinder!

IMG_20150124_132305_228.jpg

A rotating flasher will take a a little beating and can sometimes lose a little tape on the front edge, but like Reeltime said, the extra sand stirred up attracts fish. Looks like other fish digging in the sand for sandlance... Look for the marks on the chinooks head next you land one, and you'll see the marks from them digging in the dirt!

Back