Boredom Relief

Nerd night again. My condition may be getting worse.

Project is working out though. Four days of live testing at Apex without any misses.

Attachments

• 20210224_204754.jpg
    20210224_204754.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 49
The lime has done a decent job already not with the moss but helping the grass, it’s turning a nice dark green

Moss killer, wait a couple weeks, power rake, punch, top dress with coarse sand, lime every fall. Do this every year at work and lawns are beautiful. Best to power rake early spring and fall if possible.
There are many causes that contribute to moss including excessive shade, compacted soils, poorly drained soils, low soil fertility, high or low soil pH, and poor air circulation. Poor lawn care practices are another source of moss problems. Too much shade for grass growth is a common cause for moss invasion.

Last edited:
Moss killer, wait a couple weeks, power rake, punch, top dress with coarse sand, lime every fall. Do this every year at work and lawns are beautiful. Best to power rake early spring and fall if possible.
There are many causes that contribute to moss including excessive shade, compacted soils, poorly drained soils, low soil fertility, high or low soil pH, and poor air circulation. Poor lawn care practices are another source of moss problems. Too much shade for grass growth is a common cause for moss invasion.
I have learned to embrace my moss. I no longer stand on the sidewalk looking at my house with a mix of disgust and guilt. My neighbours like me better because I make them look so good. My life is so much better.

We had a couple decent days for gathering sap this week before the freeze comes. I have 9 litres of sap from 3 maples in the freezer and turned 14 litresView attachment 61535View attachment 61536 from the one box elder/manitoba maple into one jar of syrup today.
It was a test drive for a beginner. Tastes great, very sweet, but more like an Okanagan apple syrup than maple.
Update: This batch is a mix from my farm - 2 Norway, 1 Red, and 1 Manitoba maple, okay not a farm but I have some trees in the back and one in the front.
Here it is beside what's left of the first jar.
That's Cecil, my sourdough starter my wife named in the background.

batch 2 (1).jpg

This ain't your granddaddy's BB gun!!

Umarex Synergis 22 900 fps. Fixed barrel, nitro piston, under barrel lever, and 10 round magazine

zbtGGht.jpg

First notes:

Heavier than I expected. In fact pretty much the same as my 300 Weatherby.
Instructions appear easy.
Scope is OK, but will be replaced down the road.
Overall impression - seems well built and very robust.

Now to assemble it and learn how she operates.
Tomorrow or Thursday to shoot depending on the sky-water...

Cheers,
Nog

very cool. Hope you can review it soon as I do think I want one of those. Where did you buy it? Thanks

I'll be doing just that a soon as I can. Looked around a LOT before landing on this one. It it does what I think it will, I will be rather happy!
Ordered from a place in Ontario, because BC & Edmonton shops sold out of them immediately after Billy Blair mentioned air guns:

Cheers,
Nog

This ain't your granddaddy's BB gun!!

Umarex Synergis 22 900 fps. Fixed barrel, nitro piston, under barrel lever, and 10 round magazine

zbtGGht.jpg

First notes:

Heavier than I expected. In fact pretty much the same as my 300 Weatherby.
Instructions appear easy.
Scope is OK, but will be replaced down the road.
Overall impression - seems well built and very robust.

Now to assemble it and learn how she operates.
Tomorrow or Thursday to shoot depending on the sky-water...

Cheers,
Nog
Been thinking on one of these myself. Would be nice to have along when moose or deer hunting. Always a lot of grouse when we are moose hunting but we don’t want to shoot while hunting for moose. I think one of these would fill that need, plenty enough power for grouse yet quite enough not to scare game.

Laundry/mud/garage entrance room painting and new baseboards morphed into more.
First was new flooring, then we added a sink to replace the ugly plastic laundry tub, then we threw the closet doors and wire racks away and added a built in shoe rack, plus steel pipe hanging rack, bench, and counter.
The wife thinks the counter is for folding laundry, but the height is perfect for playing with fish/smoked fish.
The piece of green tape is to remind me to touch up the hole where my driver slipped while I was mounting a coat rack made from junk.

Attachments

• laundry mud 1.jpg
    laundry mud 1.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 36
  • laundry mud 3.jpg
    laundry mud 3.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 37
  • laundry mud 4.jpg
    laundry mud 4.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 36
Alrighty then, here is yesterday's range report:

Took a few measurements of the single group shot previously when it just arrived, and adjusted the scope so as to try and get them centered properly.

Then wandered out to a close gravel pit and got set up:

lbuJJ4h.jpg

Only company was a couple of tossed mattresses to watch the show:

wHceEiL.jpg

Ammo of choice (recommended for this rifle):

V4jLkof.jpg

First group at 15 yards. Pretty close guess on the scope adjustments:

d0d9pYg.jpg

So, out to 25 yards:

ngN7iOC.jpg

A few tweaks to the scope, again at 25 yards:

HXkvwf2.jpg

Almost acceptable. But the next group shocked me:

xh0Vzfo.jpg

And the next two were even more opened up?
If my crossbow did this, I would suspect a scope mount / bolt issue.
But a quick inspection suggested these were all fine.
Will look closer today.
Will also clean the hell out of it, and try again when the sky-water quits.

Other comments:
Rifle cocks easily.
Magazine functions well.
Two stage trigger is initially a little gritty - makes it a little effort to determine the wall.
Trigger does break clean with about 2.5 - 3 lbs.
Scope is only so - so, and will eventually need replacing.
Overall weight leans to the heavy side.

I suspect an issue with the scope or it's mounts. Going through it one thing at a time.
Ordered a sampler pack of various pellet weights today.
FAR from done tinkering with this one methinks, and pretty certain I will eventually get her dialed right in.

Cheers,
Nog

My winter boredom relief project.
Re & Re windshield on car, new weather stripping on doors and finish the re and re of side windows and rubber weatherstripping on hard top.
The left and right windshield pillars needed machining/new mounting tabs installed
So out came most of the interior, then I become the contortionist that I'm not to get at all mounting nuts on undersides of dash.
Up and off came the windshield.
Remove all hardware and send the L&R pillars to Corvette Central in the states.
This is a common problem on C1vettes and they have a dedicated machine with jig and do their machining on a Mondays.
Was about a mth turn around for pillars.
All new rubber weatherstripping, cleaned up, re painted parts of windshield frame. Re installed chrome and installed back onto car. very happy with how it all turned out.
Had her out for a rip up to Qualicum yesterday in the sunshine, ready for the season20201209_150733.jpg20201209_155720.jpg20210206_152348.jpg20210206_152915.jpg20210207_175621.jpg20210207_181616.jpg20210220_172659.jpg20210220_190013.jpgreceived_272195041193700.jpeg

Last edited:
Update: This batch is a mix from my farm - 2 Norway, 1 Red, and 1 Manitoba maple, okay not a farm but I have some trees in the back and one in the front.
Here it is beside what's left of the first jar.
That's Cecil, my sourdough starter my wife named in the background.

View attachment 62815
How much did you boil down from to get that?

Alrighty then, here is yesterday's range report:

Took a few measurements of the single group shot previously when it just arrived, and adjusted the scope so as to try and get them centered properly.

Then wandered out to a close gravel pit and got set up:

lbuJJ4h.jpg

Only company was a couple of tossed mattresses to watch the show:

wHceEiL.jpg

Ammo of choice (recommended for this rifle):

V4jLkof.jpg

First group at 15 yards. Pretty close guess on the scope adjustments:

d0d9pYg.jpg

So, out to 25 yards:

ngN7iOC.jpg

A few tweaks to the scope, again at 25 yards:

HXkvwf2.jpg

Almost acceptable. But the next group shocked me:

xh0Vzfo.jpg

And the next two were even more opened up?
If my crossbow did this, I would suspect a scope mount / bolt issue.
But a quick inspection suggested these were all fine.
Will look closer today.
Will also clean the hell out of it, and try again when the sky-water quits.

Other comments:
Rifle cocks easily.
Magazine functions well.
Two stage trigger is initially a little gritty - makes it a little effort to determine the wall.
Trigger does break clean with about 2.5 - 3 lbs.
Scope is only so - so, and will eventually need replacing.
Overall weight leans to the heavy side.

I suspect an issue with the scope or it's mounts. Going through it one thing at a time.
Ordered a sampler pack of various pellet weights today.
FAR from done tinkering with this one methinks, and pretty certain I will eventually get her dialed right in.

Cheers,
Nog

Barrel warming??

Hawke scope ordered & they honored the discount.
Told me to simply toss the old scope, so I take it they sort of knew it was junk from the get-go.
I'll wait for it to show before picking up some decent mounts and giving it another whirl...

Cheers,
Nog

How much did you boil down from to get that?
I think it was 24 litres.
1/60th X 24 = 400ml
I believe the Manitoba, which provided more than half the sap has a higher water content than the maples.
Back east it's 40 to 1 for sugar maples.
It's over now, I'll try to start earlier next year, weather permitting.
I was eyeballing all the maples on the golf course today.

Back