Boredom Relief

Been doing lots of gardening so getting everything done early so when summer does come and if we are back to some sense of normal it will be all play time. Also getting a start on cleaning my mom and dads place out after he passed last spring. I figured start the process now so that when mom has to leave the house we aren't facing a nightmare job then. The 65 Mustang has a fresh coat of wax and a few small repairs done so it will be ready for the road. Then for some fun I hop on the 81 CB-750F and practice social distancing on the road. So far it hasn't been that bad....just keeping a close eye spending much money.

No time for boredom in our household. Our daughter in law is a critical care nurse in Squamish and our son is currently working from home. We are hosting our grandchildren (9 and 6) at our house. We're into home schooling and managing a couple of young'uns, something we haven't done for a long, long time. I'm learning that my stores of patience, that were never all that great, haven't increased as I've gotten older.
As needed, I escape to work on replacing the brake booster on my '80 Fiat Spider. Those crafty Italians didn't make this chore very easy! I'm just short of removing the engine to get enough room to get the bugger out. Oh yes, it's bolted through the firewall and I have to get under the dash to get at the bolts. I'm 6'3" and about 270 lbs. Needless to say, some days it's a tough call between the grandkids and crawling under the Fiat's dash....

I haven't taken the winter cover off the Striper, and I'm not sure when I'm going to bother...

Frankly, now that I think about it, boredom would be wonderful...

i make knives and sheaths
01 tool steel with stabilized birdseye maple scales. carbon fibre pins and black liners
I've had a ball bearing canister all welded up and ready to rock for 6 months. If only the shop were clean enough to swing a hammer...

Vinyl sorted by genre and alphabetically. Chironomids tied. Repainted decoys, turning some mallard hens into drakes. Trees down and bucked for firewood.
1000 piece puzzle on the dining room table and ping pong is back in vogue.
Miss the family and social gatherings but my God does it put time back in your day.

I have heard there will be a baby boom when this is over. Some have opined it will be divorces that boom.

Well--- lemme see. I started my annual hunt to eliminate the bullfrogs in my pond. ( got two) And I took my wife for a nice drive to the Cumberland waste disposal site AKA da dump. Great wildlife viewing ! Lots of eagles, seagulls , crows and Cumberland two legged peckerheads !

Binge watched all 5 seasons of Peaky Blinders, and all the way into season 3 of Ozark....OMG those are great series. If you like intense action those are great Netflix series. Even fit it some work on the boat and tying up gear.

Well I'm still working but it's amazing when you aren't going to hockey...soccer and Lacrosse once or twice everyday of the week just how much time you have...Who knew? lol Not to mention not being able to pretty much go anywhere right now. On my last days off I replaced the kitchen faucet that I bought 6 months ago.....replaced the handle and cartridge in my master bathroom shower and put in a new hot water solenoid in the washing machine. I had those parts for probably 3 months as well...plumbing complete! I also dug out my Tuna gear that I have been acquiring over the last year or so and began tying up Zukers….Rapalas etc and getting myself hopeful for a shot at them this fall. We had a Florida trip in February before we all got put on lockdown and being on a charter down there got me interested again in my gear. After that I did what a lot of people seemed to have done lately and crushed "Tiger King" on Netflix...lol

Finished up a couple projects.
The Whitetail I know is nothing special as far as trophy quality goes but it was shot by a friend of mine on my property last fall and for him it’s a trophy. He’s in his late 50’s and really hasn’t hunted a lot. For those that recall I took him moose hunting two falls back and called in a moose he was able to harvest. He is from northern Pensilvania in his younger days and for him this is a trophy animal.

The Antelope I shot back in 2012 and has been in my freezer with hide on ever since, just didn’t know what I wanted with it all this time and as time went on I would forget about it. Finally pulled it out and did it up. The skull didn’t come overly bright on it as I suspect it decayed some being frozen so long, still it looks fine. As far as trophy quality goes it’s a decent specimen for an Antelope.

These are my first attempts at European mounts and I am quite happy with the outcome.

49742531796_1e6316b01a_z.jpg

49742531766_75f8e8130a_z.jpg

49742854152_d76b1b5c24_z.jpg

49741981623_841e65c335_z.jpg

Full service on Penn 320 and 330 reels. No spare parts so just a good cleaning and re-use of everything. It's amazing how much info you can find online to walk you through this. My first time doing this so was surprised in the number of pieces and how it all works. Great little project.

I’ve mostly been up in Cow Bay supporting my 95 year old father in law through the loss of his wife of 68 years. WW2 vet, ex faller, he’s tough as nails but he needed our help working through it. While up there I worked out my sorrow by attacking a log pile so now everyone has enough firewood for next winter. Now that I’m back home, there’s lots of yard work to catch up on as well as some beekeeping to do. I find working with my bees very calming for some reason.
T2

Got the saws out for a rip today, got about a dozen decent spruce down and limbed. Will try and get them out of the bush tomorrow with the tractor. Not sure how that will go as the snow in my pasture is still quite deep, it’s not bad in the bush but getting there may be a chore. Would like to start to peel them in the next few days and let them air out a bit. They should be dry enough to start to build with once it warms up. For the most part they were dead standing trees. We had a bad spring snow storm two years ago and it snapped the top off a few of them and I can’t stand to see anything go to waste even a tree. So I’m getting them down before they rot and are no good. A couple have some bugs already but that’s ok, it will give the logs some character.

49743684801_9c8c702031_z.jpg

49743684181_c93f7a399a_z.jpg

What do you have in mind to build with the logs, Walleyes?

I know it sounds strange but I feel log building skills are something a guy should know, can’t hurt right, yah just never know. I’m going to start with a log outhouse, plan on using all the methods one would use on a cabin or house with scribing notches and full log scribe with insulation between the logs. I was thinking smoker but why not build something a little bigger. Like I say these trees were just dying and it’s been bugging me so why not cover a few things at one time. One can always use a good outhouse, and I use up some dying trees and teach myself a skill at the same time. If the plan I have in my head comes to fruit it should be a decent looking little structure.

Three seasons of "Ozark" on Netflix. If you liked Breaking Bad you will like this. Also picked up a "Side Shift" Bow thruster, have to wait till the snow is gone to do that project.

Back