Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

Lots of good things going for it and the price seems to be inline with others on the market well equipped. Still 30k of crazy world pricing in my opinion.

That one in Courtney was bought the year before listed for 98k guy dumped a bunch of money in electronics then put it up for sale. Add must have just been pulled as it was up a couple weeks ago.

First two are the same boat one year apart. Third is pre Covid pricing.
Interesting, wasn’t there one that sold for about 155k in van last year at Gallion or one of the dealers? Maybe when spring hits and the sun comes out we will see more things moving. Seems like a lot of guides are tire kicking and thunderbird has faith in the market. Not a ton of boats for sale at any one time but I think there are few 100k boat shoppers these days. That coast guard hourston has sold pretty quick. I think the opportunity to sell 100k boats is better in vancouver than on the island. More high rollers

Interesting, wasn’t there one that sold for about 155k in van last year at Gallion or one of the dealers? Maybe when spring hits and the sun comes out we will see more things moving. Seems like a lot of guides are tire kicking and thunderbird has faith in the market. Not a ton of boats for sale at any one time but I think there are few 100k boat shoppers these days. That coast guard hourston has sold pretty quick. I think the opportunity to sell 100k boats is better in vancouver than on the island. More high rollers
It was the rarity of the Hourston that made it move so quickly, an effectively brand new 23 ft boat with a diesel for 100k isn't common. Also, thunderbird prices are generally above market value, it will be interesting to see how prices change as the weather warms up but I think we are slowly seeing the results of covid impulse boat buying. Should be some good opportunities to pick up some well-priced boats come this fall I would think.

I agree. Clean looking boat but priced real steep at almost $150000 taxes included. Almost 10 year old power. Old electronics. That ain't a 2014 300 zuk/ yam on there either which is more widely appreciated in the used market.

I think this is the type of thing that sold last year at 110-120k that won't this year. Lots of stuff has sat on the market this winter.
I guess I am reaching out here for some crystal ball advice about whether to upgrade to a bigger boat now or wait a while. Should we wait or should we buy now basically?

I am using an 18' Lund SSV Alaskan, having a good time pulling traps and running around the gulf islands, and we've done some salmon fishing around Campbell river. But the boat is a bit low and light to feel safe with the 5 and 7 year olds leaning over the sides, or when the chop comes up a little (we've been turned around a few times when heading out). I'd also like to get out to the WCVI with the family to try for some halibut etc.

So we're looking to buy a 21-24 HT alloy, ~100k+. I even have one in mind that we may try to move on this week. The only thing holding me back it seems like the market is yet to shake off the covid tax, and we may be better off using the lund for this season and shopping again later for the bigger boat. Can't really swallow over-paying by 20k just to get into a bigger boat a season early.

I know there's no certain answer to my question, but I'm new to this and would value some input from those that have been around longer.

Appreciated!

A really well maintained boat in good condition is hard to find. The nice thing about this market is you should be able to get a survey, mechanical inspection and get at least a few $$ off. I remember feeling the same way as you going from 18 to 25, I bought used in February and half regret going for what I did as we sank 20k into in upgrades. Then I watch a YouTube video of guys who have bought a turn key boat for 100k usd and end up dropping 100k plus into it for repairs when it runs out it was far from turnkey. If you can find a great boat with solid hull and power that hopefully can last you 10 years then pull the trigger. Just don’t over pay for a project, or something you’ll have to repower at big $$

I guess I am reaching out here for some crystal ball advice about whether to upgrade to a bigger boat now or wait a while. Should we wait or should we buy now basically?

I am using an 18' Lund SSV Alaskan, having a good time pulling traps and running around the gulf islands, and we've done some salmon fishing around Campbell river. But the boat is a bit low and light to feel safe with the 5 and 7 year olds leaning over the sides, or when the chop comes up a little (we've been turned around a few times when heading out). I'd also like to get out to the WCVI with the family to try for some halibut etc.

So we're looking to buy a 21-24 HT alloy, ~100k+. I even have one in mind that we may try to move on this week. The only thing holding me back it seems like the market is yet to shake off the covid tax, and we may be better off using the lund for this season and shopping again later for the bigger boat. Can't really swallow over-paying by 20k just to get into a bigger boat a season early.

I know there's no certain answer to my question, but I'm new to this and would value some input from those that have been around longer.

Appreciated!
Grew up the same way run Lunds around Desolation, pulling traps over the side, beaching it to explore. Priorities changed once we had kids and now have a DE 185. Far more seaworthy.

Everything has gone up in price. Prices have cooled off but this is the new norm for prices. The styles of boats you mentioned, are in high demand so sellers aren’t going to cut prices a lot. Go see what they cost new. Unless you find a unicorn for find one that someone needs to sell fast, I don’t think you’ll really get much of a deal. Don’t forget about the 12% tax.

Grew up the same way run Lunds around Desolation, pulling traps over the side, beaching it to explore. Priorities changed once we had kids and now have a DE 185. Far more seaworthy.

Everything has gone up in price. Prices have cooled off but this is the new norm for prices. The styles of boats you mentioned, are in high demand so sellers aren’t going to cut prices a lot. Go see what they cost new. Unless you find a unicorn for find one that someone needs to sell fast, I don’t think you’ll really get much of a deal. Don’t forget about the 12% tax.
Thanks you two. Good points about the importance avoiding money pits, and not being optimistic that sought after boats are going to drop much in price

Boat are money pits, fact period end of story
You ain't lying brutus. I've had a 26'er, 28', 36' (all sail), and now an 18' smoker. But at the end of the day, I'd say they were all better than free, leaving me with far more than I ever gave them. Took one out to Vanuatu (from Oz) for a few months pre kids, priceless experience

You ain't lying brutus. I've had a 26'er, 28', 36' (all sail), and now an 18' smoker. But at the end of the day, I'd say they were all better than free, leaving me with far more than I ever gave them. Took one out to Vanuatu (from Oz) for a few months pre kids, priceless experience
Ya, I can’t live without them, IMO better then spending the $ in a bar

You are correct about the one last year at Gallion, can’t remember the exact price but at the time it was the only one on the market and I think they hit the peak of the crazy market and pricing.

I sold my Grady last fall and using a family members boat for this season rolling the dice that the 30K Covid tax disappears in the fall.

However I am a sucker for a boat project so I never know what or when I will end up with something.

What's everyone's thoughts on this for value?
If it is a V2 hull with a solid transom/stringer and a good trailer it might be a good buy at that price with everything included but the devil is in the details. Pre-covid with power it would be 15k usd.

This is a members boat worth asking him and making a deal on what might be a lot better package? Pretty easy to put 40k into an old boat when you need power too. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/boa/d/port-coquitlam-north-1997-grady-white/7583381748.html

Back