Boat purchase question

bMcN

Hi everyone,

I'm essentially a complete newbie to fishing and boating, having done neither since I owned a car-top aluminum boat as a teenager many years ago. I'm trying to get back in. Size-wise I think an 18' is about ideal. Small enough for me to tow/store, big enough to fit the family for a day's fishing/exploring. I am eying a podded 18' Hourston:

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/boa/4987970982.html

I like the boat and the fact that all the gear is included. Just add water. I'm not sure about the price. If everything checks out mechanically and structurally, does this look about right?

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Thanks.

For $16k you can find something newer,better inside. That price seems high to me given age of the motor.

Hull looks great from exterior, interior is pretty rough. That main is basically worth a couple grand, maybe. Kicker is worth a bit more. If you figure the rest of the package is worth 10 then it's a good deal. My guess is that boat will be on Craigslist for a while.

Keep on looking bM, there are definitely better deals.

It's worth maybe 7000-7500 if it has a kicker with the deal. I know it has a pod. But you have to look at value of motors. I am just factoring in the pod/electronics. That is the unfortunate thing on pods it really doesn't add value its the motor that does.

Look around. For 16k on a boat like that I would expect a good condition 4 stroke and kicker...

Last edited by a moderator:
Says its a 115hp yet the cowling says 90hp and not mentioned in the listing? Seems a bit much for not much boat. TF

Thanks. Nice looking boat. A bit too big for me though -- to tow and to store. Cheers, -b

Back