Boat Insurance

Anyone got advice on boat insurance for fishing WCVI??? I will be fishing out of Bamfield, Uki, Tofino & up to Nootka Sound area.

My insurance is stating states:
"Not to Navigate on the Coastal waters and inlets of the West Coast of Vancouver Island between Owen Point and Cape Sutil."

Any advice / help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Howdy,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I dealt with Coast Capital Savings and they set me up with a policy from Coast Underwriters for my 19-footer.

Costs me a little more than $6-hundred/yr. and that's including $2-million/liability for water-skiers/wakeboarders etc. The replacement amount on the hull/engine remains fixed over time as well.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Terry

Some insurance policies for boats will not cover you for fishing in certain areas (Nitnat is one and I think Cape Beal is another). You may want to make sure your policy will cover you for the areas you will be fishing. Otherwise your $600.00 will be nothing more than a bonus to some insurance company excutive.

Good question! The size of your boat does make a difference to Insurance Cmpanies.

I received a policy with ACE which automatically limits everyone inside a line drawn from Nitinat to Cape Flattery and no further North than the 50th Parallel. It took me almost 6 months (and proof of my experience and a copy of my Coastguard license and certificates) to get a waiver for the West Coast. The waiver limited me to summer months up to 25 miles offshore and also doubled my deductible while offshore. It was kind of interesting talking to the Underwriter – he was familiar with the areas between Cape Beal (Graveyard of the Pacific) and Estevan Point! As that was where most of their losses came from.

My current company Progressive limits me to 75 miles offshore with no other limitations.

You can ask for a waiver as I did with Ace or find another Insurance Company! It does pay to read those policies! :)

Good question. I have the same restriction on my insurance.

Plotting the line between Owen Point and Cape Scott I find that if it means a straight line through these points that Ucluelet and the Broken Islands are outside of this line, as is Nootka Island. When I plotted the line, you can not even go out of Muchalat Inlet or launch at Ucluelet.

Back