Boat Insurance: home built boat--any experience with this?

TMan

Hey folks.
I'm looking around at getting insurance for my home built boat. (16.5' aluminum)
Anyone have any experience getting that done for a home built?

Beyond just getting a bunch of quotes, is there anything I should be looking out for or expecting?
Survey etc?

Do people even bother with smaller boats?

Thanks,
T.

I have looked into this a little bit. From what I understand you register it as a home built( which is easy enough to do ) a surveyor will give you an insurable value.
The surveyor I talked to wanted to see photos along the way ( foam ) fuel tank ( certification ) fuel system and basic wiring.
I don’t know how much more there is to it, they made it seem pretty straight forward on the phone.
Hope that helps.
Post a build thread

You could ask one of the builders around to give you a quote on building a cope hull. https://adrenalinmarine.ca/ comes to mind. They are local.

That would give you hull value, and it should be pretty easy to add the msrp for motors/steering/electronics etc.

Cheers,

I have looked into this a little bit. From what I understand you register it as a home built( which is easy enough to do ) a surveyor will give you an insurable value.
The surveyor I talked to wanted to see photos along the way ( foam ) fuel tank ( certification ) fuel system and basic wiring.
I don’t know how much more there is to it, they made it seem pretty straight forward on the phone.
Hope that helps.
Post a build thread
Thanks for the reply. And yeah, I should post a build thread one day. Its built now, but folks may find it interesting.

Back