Van for boat launching

Matsutake

Hey guys,
Thinking of getting a van for camping/fishing trips etc. I own a 16 ft bares bones aluminum boat. Would I have much trouble launching/loading with a van? In general. I know tides and ramp conditions play a big part. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

If the ramp is concrete and not slimy, I dont think you would have much trouble. A most useful item is a pair of hip waders. And winch the boat up the trailer so you dont give the back of the van a saltwater bath.

Last edited:
Vanier you’ll be fine provided tide
isn’t low low. Use the ramp furthest north if it is on the low end though, it’s deeper. Both have pretty good traction.

Hey guys,
Thinking of getting a van for camping/fishing trips etc. I own a 16 ft bares bones aluminum boat. Would I have much trouble launching/loading with a van? In general. I know tides and ramp conditions play a big part. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Are you thinking of an all wheel drive van? That would eliminate any slick and steep ramps you might come across.

Vanier you’ll be fine provided tide
isn’t low low. Use the ramp furthest north if it is on the low end though, it’s deeper. Both have pretty good traction.
Is vanier free to Use? One website says free, another says pay.
I checked Vanier out a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out the pay stations.

I launched a 16' open fiberglass boat for years - with a 30 and a 5 kicker, total weight was ~400 lbs before trailer, I launched with a rear-wheel drive Mazda station wagon, a front-wheel drive Rabbit and 4wd Jeep Cherokee. I never had issues on any ramps. With the Jeep, I launched off gravel beaches, and occasionally had a little too much fun.

I'd say a 2wd van will be fine except for slimy, low-tide situations, and awd would be fine on pretty much any ramp. Gravel beaches - have a plan B.

Is vanier free to Use? One website says free, another says pay.
I checked Vanier out a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out the pay stations.
Free to use, pay to park though. Lots of boaters at Burrard Civic on the hard use the Vanier Park ramps to launch and retrieve each time, even though they have their own ramp, but park back at Burrard Civic.

Back