Boat decision....

marcofisher

Hi, We are a senior retired couple looking to buy a boat to fish/explore out of the Pender Harbor area....looking at Kingfisher 1825 and Hewes 180 Sportsman both with 90 hp....we want to have a hassle free experience and are aware that these boats can pound in heavier seas but we can mitigate this with heading out on calm days. Are we on the right track? Any other ideas? Thanks for any input .....

Both are decent boats. You wont go wrong with either. With that said, I would encourage you to go to the vancouver boat show next spring. I was able to look at the hewscraft / kingfisher aide by side. For not much more you could get a silver streak. The silver streak was a much better built boat. Welded floors instead of plywood etc.

Good luck.

Retired senior myself and what was most important to me was a reliable, risk free boating experience. As you know handling mishaps is a little bit different to when you were younger. So personally I would look at the 2 for mentioned quality boats as both are good choices for inshore fishing and beachcombing. Newer preferred and I if was spending your money I would have a peak at this one.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/boa/d/mission-2016-kingfisher-1825-falcon/6967819013.html

I was buying a boat trailer earlier this year from this fellow and in his workshop he had this 2016 Kingfisher 1825 which was basically brand new and in showroom condition. He mentioned he never had time to use it and now I see he has been posting it on CL for a month or so. Good luck on your search.

Hi, We are a senior retired couple looking to buy a boat to fish/explore out of the Pender Harbor area....looking at Kingfisher 1825 and Hewes 180 Sportsman both with 90 hp....we want to have a hassle free experience and are aware that these boats can pound in heavier seas but we can mitigate this with heading out on calm days. Are we on the right track? Any other ideas? Thanks for any input .....

i have a 2018 kingfisher 1825 with 115HP...that the right motor for this boat honestly. it works great in chop. ive taken mine to victoria and back multiple times.
will be near sunshine coast in a couple of weeks if you want a ride. likely gonna drop by gibsons. if i had to do over i would go with the kingfisher 2025. 2 feet makes a difference.

Only 14 hrs of freshwater use, plumbed for kicker, garmin electronics, a 115 yammy ... that’s a steal!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Boat decision......we want to have a hassle free experience

No boat or motor manufacturer can guarantee you this not to mention the series safety factors involved with ocean boating. Best to educate yourself as much as possible with the costs associated with boating as well as rules and regulations. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. Boating will open you to some wonderful new
experiences, friends and memories. The better you are prepared the more you will enjoy this new world to you. Good luck and have fun.

I've got the Kingfisher 2025, and the best decision I ever made (other than buying the boat!) was to get the bigger engine (150). I agree with the other poster on going with the 115 for the 18 footer. I doubt you'd even notice the fuel difference, and your hole shot will get you out of a pinch pronto. The fuel economy is silly on these, of course provided you don't run WOT.

Couple regrets worth sharing - 1) I didn't have it rigged up for a fixed mount radio, or a second battery with switch right from the factory. 2) Didn't get a prop guard on my kicker 3) Did not have the rocket launchers welded along the gunwales (I put a three rod holder in the engine well). 4) Bilge pump that came standard was not upgraded with a float switch (I have since put in my own).

Couple musts worth sharing - 1) Wash down hose/pump...this is great. 2) Kicker w/controls and power tilt at the helm 3) Windshield wipers for both sides.

Hope that helps somewhat. For what it's worth I was obsessed with Hewes for ages. I think they're pretty damn good boats as well. So I think you can't go wrong.

I love these boats. My next boat will be a Kingfisher Hardtop with more offshore features and capabilities....if I'm ever "allowed" to make that move!

dd

Sure like the new Suzukis... the motors - not the DSF! :)

If you are looking at the Hewescraft I would go with the Searunner rather than the Sportsman if you can swing it. Quite a difference in hull design which will affect ride big time. We have a 20’ Searunner ET and have been in some nasty water( probably shouldn’t have been there) but handled it fine.

The silverstreak I was thinking of was 44 at the boat show. Worth the 8 k over a used kigfisher the same size for sure!

The silverstreak I was thinking of was 44 at the boat show. Worth the 8 k over a used kigfisher the same size for sure!

Silverstreak much higher quality boat and you will definitely get it back on resale. I own a 28” Weldcraft but if I was to do it again it would be a SS.

Silverstreak has some major issues. Having tried to buy them unsuccessfully for over 8 years i should know, lol.
1. Heavy boats. They are built solid, with solid aluminum floors. unfortunately this compromises on their weight carrying capacity. The 18 foot silverstreak is so heavy it can only take 4 people instead of 6 like a kingfisher. The payload capacity is also very low and they are difficult to tow. The 18 foot hard top is 4500lb fully loaded tow weight. thats ridiculous. A 18 foot kingfisher is 2850 lbs tow weight.
2. Unfinished boats. Silverstreaks approach is to weld together some aluminum, cut a few holes for instruments which are minimal and literally dump some foam at the bottom of the boat. No usable space such as the kingfisher has with nice lockable storage. the space below the console is literally a huge void filled with foam and has a 6 foot by 3 foot opening. your feet dangle above the bottom of the hull and there is no place to rest your feet. For $80,000+ i expect nice lockable storage, nice finishing and usable space on the interior. the aluminum floor is so heavy is cuts straight into your load capacity on the boat. For commercial boats its great but for personal boats im not going to throwing stuff on the floor from 10 ft away.
3. The owner. The guy is an old crotchety character. I had a long phone and email discussion with the sales guys and manager and got a list of customizations i wanted for a brand new SS over 3 weeks with a 3 month build schedule. I then bought a $200 ferry ticket and took my car over with a cashiers check for north of $85,000. Spent the whole day travelling to their location to sign the paperwork. All paperwork is ready, i am going to sign and the owner shows up at 11am and is grumpy. Cancels the deal and says they have a gov of canada order and my money is no good because the gov of canada spends more. They will only sell me a stock boat with zero customizations, not even a change to the paint color. I take a ride back, put cheque in bank and buy the kingfisher for half the price.
4. Noisy and Rough ride. The solid floor and hull mean its a very noisy boat. Unlike the kingfisher where i cant hear water rushing and bangs when it pounds the silverstreak does all that and more. at planing in chop it sounds like a drum set. the ride is so terrible silverstreak provides shock mitigating seats as standard. The floors are also cold and unyielding. No give. which means a shock to your knees when you hop on. And no chance of dropping in a few sleeping bags and boat camping. youre going to be frozen.
So basically if you want a boat you can take crabbing with your buddy and have a few dozen steel crab pots youre going to bang around and throw around on your boat floor all day -- go for the silverstreak. if youre looking to save cash, go out with family, maybe fish a little go for the kingfisher or hewes. ive put evo foam floors on mine and used it for camping in victoria after crossing. enough to sleep two and be comfortable with sleeping bags. ive taken 6 on it with no issues, it has 6 seats. everyone is happy. its a good all round boat. not tough like the SS but much more comfortable. sure i'll probably have to rip the flooring out and replace it after 3-4 years but its $400 to replace the whole thing.

Last edited:
Agree with Donnie D.. Go for the extra length--- world of difference between a 18 ft and a 20 ft tin boat. And definitely go for the 150 hp power. I have a 20 ft ( no pod --- dammit !!! ) with a 115 and its barely adequate. The fishing room and higher gunnels on the 20 is well worth buying.

Boat prices seem to be falling starting to see a lot of nice boats coming down in price. So it seems like time is on your side.

There are much better, nicer boats than Kingfisher. A huge factor I didn’t like about Kingfisher is their gunnel height, feels like your going to roll right out of the boat, a very uneasy feeling and being older I’d be taking that alone as a serious negative. There are many that are set up far better than KF. To name a few, North River, Weldcraft and as you mentioned a Hewes, spend carefully and cautiously. Good luck..

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 9.33.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 11.09.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 11.08.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 11.08.55 AM.png
Silverstreak has some major issues. Having tried to buy them unsuccessfully for over 8 years i should know, lol.
1. Heavy boats. They are built solid, with solid aluminum floors. unfortunately this compromises on their weight carrying capacity. The 18 foot silverstreak is so heavy it can only take 4 people instead of 6 like a kingfisher. The payload capacity is also very low and they are difficult to tow. The 18 foot hard top is 4500lb fully loaded tow weight. thats ridiculous. A 18 foot kingfisher is 2850 lbs tow weight.
2. Unfinished boats. Silverstreaks approach is to weld together some aluminum, cut a few holes for instruments which are minimal and literally dump some foam at the bottom of the boat. No usable space such as the kingfisher has with nice lockable storage. the space below the console is literally a huge void filled with foam and has a 6 foot by 3 foot opening. your feet dangle above the bottom of the hull and there is no place to rest your feet. For $80,000+ i expect nice lockable storage, nice finishing and usable space on the interior. the aluminum floor is so heavy is cuts straight into your load capacity on the boat. For commercial boats its great but for personal boats im not going to throwing stuff on the floor from 10 ft away.
3. The owner. The guy is an old crotchety character. I had a long phone and email discussion with the sales guys and manager and got a list of customizations i wanted for a brand new SS over 3 weeks with a 3 month build schedule. I then bought a $200 ferry ticket and took my car over with a cashiers check for north of $85,000. Spent the whole day travelling to their location to sign the paperwork. All paperwork is ready, i am going to sign and the owner shows up at 11am and is grumpy. Cancels the deal and says they have a gov of canada order and my money is no good because the gov of canada spends more. They will only sell me a stock boat with zero customizations, not even a change to the paint color. I take a ride back, put cheque in bank and buy the kingfisher for half the price.
4. Noisy and Rough ride. The solid floor and hull mean its a very noisy boat. Unlike the kingfisher where i cant hear water rushing and bangs when it pounds the silverstreak does all that and more. at planing in chop it sounds like a drum set. the ride is so terrible silverstreak provides shock mitigating seats as standard. The floors are also cold and unyielding. No give. which means a shock to your knees when you hop on. And no chance of dropping in a few sleeping bags and boat camping. youre going to be frozen.
So basically if you want a boat you can take crabbing with your buddy and have a few dozen steel crab pots youre going to bang around and throw around on your boat floor all day -- go for the silverstreak. if youre looking to save cash, go out with family, maybe fish a little go for the kingfisher or hewes. ive put evo foam floors on mine and used it for camping in victoria after crossing. enough to sleep two and be comfortable with sleeping bags. ive taken 6 on it with no issues, it has 6 seats. everyone is happy. its a good all round boat. not tough like the SS but much more comfortable. sure i'll probably have to rip the flooring out and replace it after 3-4 years but its $400 to replace the whole thing.

Your biased opinion is ridiculous along with your miss-guiding information.

1. passenger rating, are you basing this on the number of seats your boat has? I would never put 6 people on an 18ft boat, just because you have the seats doesn't mean it is rated for that amount of people. My 18'6 HT with extended transom is rated for 5 people... please post up your boat capacity.

2. You say the SS weighs a lot more than a kingfisher? please see attached of COMPARABLE boats. Don't compare a little 18ft open top lake boat to a larger HT open water boat.

3. I was able to get the build sheet from Inlet marine and spec EXACTLY what I wanted on my boat and had the 4 month wait. SS is a boat builder not a 'seller'. That is the reason they have retailers around. They don't have time or the patients to be answering all your calls and questions regarding how your build is going.

4. The statement of the 'unfinished boat' is laughable, plenty of lockable storage as well as doors on all openings.

5. Ride quality? you have a very light boat with a 12* deadrise compared to a 16* or 18* on the SS, enough said.

The OP is looking for actual advice regarding a boat purchase, please try and guide him with accurate information.Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 9.33.39 AM.png

Your biased opinion is ridiculous along with your miss-guiding information.

1. passenger rating, are you basing this on the number of seats your boat has? I would never put 6 people on an 18ft boat, just because you have the seats doesn't mean it is rated for that amount of people. My 18'6 HT with extended transom is rated for 5 people... please post up your boat capacity.

2. You say the SS weighs a lot more than a kingfisher? please see attached of COMPARABLE boats. Don't compare a little 18ft open top lake boat to a larger HT open water boat.

3. I was able to get the build sheet from Inlet marine and spec EXACTLY what I wanted on my boat and had the 4 month wait. SS is a boat builder not a 'seller'. That is the reason they have retailers around. They don't have time or the patients to be answering all your calls and questions regarding how your build is going.

4. The statement of the 'unfinished boat' is laughable, plenty of lockable storage as well as doors on all openings.

5. Ride quality? you have a very light boat with a 12* deadrise compared to a 16* or 18* on the SS, enough said.

The OP is looking for actual advice regarding a boat purchase, please try and guide him with accurate information.

lol. there was nothing misguided about anything i said.

1. No i am getting it from the placard. If you would never put 6 people on your 18 foot boat even though the placard says its ok that it your choice. Yours is rated for 4 people on the 18 foot silverstreak however because yours has a heavy floor and more weight.
My capacity plate reads : 6 people 451Kg / people+luggage+motor 803kg / motor 115hp 259kg

2. it doesnt matter. The silverstreak will weigh more because the extra aluminum flooring is a huge weight. you dont get to carry a 20 foot by 6 foot or whatever chunk of metal around for free.

3. No SS is said to be a custom manufacturer. That means when they advertise they do custom manufacturing they should be able to communicate by email and phone and at least respect the customer when they come in check in hand and prepared to wait for the boat they want. No i dont want to go to a dealership and pay 20% for the privilege, thanks. i would rather buy direct. and i would never buy from inlet marine either. they pulled away from at least one trade in at the last minute. another joke of a company like silverstreak.

4. yeah except for the large gap in the footwell sure. i dont consider that finished. judge for yourself. does this look like a finished product to you ? this is a production silverstreak.

ssdash.jpg

5. dont worry about my deadrise. worry about the crappy ride quality you get on an SS instead. deadrise means nothing if your boat sounds like the inside of a drum and pounds heavily. sure it might be safe but who cares with all the hearing loss and teeth falling out. lol.

Zurk.....Wow I’m very surprised to hear that you had a bad experience with inlet.....I have had nothing but the best service ever from chris at inlet marine. There pricing is excellant right off the bat and service is above and beyond anywhere I’ve had in the lower mainland and the island......you sound pretty pissed off in general and sounds like people just don’t like dealing with you????

Zurk.....Wow I’m very surprised to hear that you had a bad experience with inlet.....I have had nothing but the best service ever from chris at inlet marine. There pricing is excellant right off the bat and service is above and beyond anywhere I’ve had in the lower mainland and the island......you sound pretty pissed off in general and sounds like people just don’t like dealing with you????
Reminds me of that guy that bought the ****** cutwater that sank. He wrote up this whole website to complain about it and as I'm reading it I'm just like jesus christ buddy I wouldn't want to sell you a cheeseburger! Some people have high expectations and think they can micromanage their way out of issues. Trust goes a long way in getting a quality service/ product. Let them breathe and they might just treat you better. I second that Chris at Inlet is a standup dude and his mechanic Dustin had been a ******* treat to discuss options with. They haven't even finished the job and I'm already happy with the service!

Back