Boat capsized off of Trial Island?

Did anyone hear of a 16 foot boat that capsized off of Trial Island on Sunday?
I caught the last bit of a story on the zone radio station.

Hope everyone is alright!

I saw Oak bay rescue towing the capsized boat in about 10:30 am
yesterday...
Boat was upside down, motor submerged,leg in the air.
i would say it was only 12-14' in length.
not sure if they rescued anyone, or if the boat was just found
capsized.

Ya I got the goods on it. Two guys where out in a small boat with their dog, no lifejackets on and the boat flipped over when they turned it sideways in the waves. Luckily one guy had a cell phone that musta been waterproof somewhat. He managed to place a 911 call and the police boat came out and picked em up. Hopefully they learned something by this and seems they got off lucky, because it didn't cost a life.

i was out fishing when i saw the police boat rush out there. i heard it was a 20'+ boat, it lost power and was drifting when waves starting getting in then she tipped.

she was no 20 footer, thats for sure...
we ran to within 100 yards of the action.
small fibreglass boat, no windshield ,little outboard

Im totally dumbfounded that someone would go out there in a boat that small, get capsized by a wave and not have life jackets [:0]

Whata thinking !

they just played the distress call on the news this a.m.
apparently one guy held his phone out of the water long enough to
make the "911" call.

Scary !![xx(]

Just curious...
How many of you are wearing life jackets out there?

I have 2 inflatable jackets on board. One beside each seat. These are a great investment. I wear one when fishing solo and when it is rough. When I am not wearing one they are still readily available. I always tell my passengers that they are there if they would like to put one on.
I'll be honest I would not wear a regular jacket. I keep 4 stashed in the front compartment like most people.

Tips

Being in my 15fter i always wear my life jacket except when anchored in calm water ect. Takes one bad wave as i figured out about 2 years ago i took one badly and scared the crap out of me. Scary phone call.....

I went to school with the guy who made the phone call. His name is Kyle. His brother owns Graphics FX, locals in victoria likely know his shop. They do the decaling on most commercial vehicles.

He is lucky to be alive.

They should make it manditory to wear life jacket in smaller boats. In the states the kids under 12 have to have jackets on in boat under 16 feet. I agree with you tips up about the inflatable they are great and don't get in the way. If it is rough I where my mustang suit and try convince all on board to put one on.

I was out fishing last saturday off of the north arm of the fraser with my two boys. It was calm day, overcast though.
We saw these waves coming that you could tell had a bit of size to them. When they got closer you could see they were of considerable size. I'm in an 18.5' double eagle so we are able to take a bit of a swell but when I saw these waves I was a bit concerned. I thought we would roll over them gently sideways but then changed my mind at the last second and went straight into them. We went over the first one okay but the second and third I could see were going to be trouble. I throttled up to power the bow up and over the last waves. The motor stalled but started up right away.
It was just weird the size of these waves. There was a freighter that went by earlier but it wasn't moving that fast.
I don't wear a lifejacket, but they are lying there if needed...
Unfortuneately usually there needed in a moments notice. I'm going to look at those inflatible ones.

Almost went over once in a small aluminum out in FEB. in front of lantzville. Just out for my b-day trying to catch a fish, when I got a head shaker on while mooching.. Just as a joke I told my buddy that "twanging" the line pisses off the big springs up in Bamfield. So I twang it and I'll be dambed if the reel didn't start screaming. After a very nice battle I got this hog up to the boat.. no net onboard.. never expected to acually catch a fish. So my buddy says he's going to lean over and pick the fish up by the gills and flip it in..not a good idea.. When the fish came back to the other side of the boat so did he. I had to scramble up the side that was going up and just s#!+house luck that I got there in time to balance it out. You have to be careful when out in a small boat, any boat for that matter. Those inflatable jackets might be the answer, but I still like the survival suits.

I was fishing out the capaliano mouth in north van 645 in hte morning, the cruise ships are comming in slowely I saw the waves comming and I turned my 17.5 KnC into the waves but the size and frequency ensured my bow was right down and I took a wave right over the winshield not enough to swamp the boat but enough to soak it down really good

I was out in july off albert head i was in my 15.5' K&C and i was in search of my prawn trap when the wind and waves starting picking up. soon the swells were reaching 6' with white caps on them when a big freighter rolled bye turning up a huge wake. when i saw that coming i was like ****!!!. so i turned the bow into the wake and drove to it. there was about 5 monster wakes and slammed the bow on the last wave. it filled about 1.5' water in the bilge and the motor stalled. i quickly restarted the engine and said F*** the prawn trap and gunned it home. i was going a good 35mph through 10' swells and jumping waves ect. there was a whale watcher coming back from sooke and it was following me but i out ran it. the next day i found the trap about 1000' away. the trap had about 35 big fat prawns, 1.25" to 1 3/8" fat.

Life Jackets are required for Children 16 and under in Oregon. When ever I fish near the mouth of the Columbia River the Jacket goes on. A buddy in the Coast Guard mentioned that most recoveries are adult men with no life jacket. They have one other telling thing in common. Can you guess what that might be? Their Fly is open over 60 % of the time. Fish carefull and when you get ready to P:D:D be real carefull.

Fishing alone (16 footer): always wear a life jacket, or if cold out, the Mustang Floater coat.
On somebody else's boat, take the floater coat.
Fishing with a buddy, not often wear a l.j., but if cool, then the Mustang, but do take everybody through a quick course on how to steer, etc., and where the jackets and heaving lines are.
Use a "pea" bucket. Keeps the boat cleaner too.

I've looked at the auto-inflating life jackets but cost, and not sure of comfort level, are deterrents. But still considering them.
For those who have tried them, do you find they are comfortable enough to wear all day?

quote:Originally posted by Time

Fishing alone (16 footer): always wear a life jacket, or if cold out, the Mustang Floater coat.
On somebody else's boat, take the floater coat.
Fishing with a buddy, not often wear a l.j., but if cool, then the Mustang, but do take everybody through a quick course on how to steer, etc., and where the jackets and heaving lines are.
Use a "pea" bucket. Keeps the boat cleaner too.

I've looked at the auto-inflating life jackets but cost, and not sure of comfort level, are deterrents. But still considering them.
For those who have tried them, do you find they are comfortable enough to wear all day?
I always wear my auto-inflating jacket on my boat. They are quite comfortable if you get the one with the neoprene collar. Yes they are a bit pricey, but are well worth the peace of mind. People spend countless thousands on their boats and gear but tend to cheap out on saftey gear. Get the jacket, it's the only type that you can wear and forget you have on.

Back