BLUE CHART

Talons

Thinking of purchasing blue chart even at $189 for the east side of the island. Thoughts or advice on this?

Talons

You have to remember that these charts will not have any new changes since the last update and it is harder to keep track of than it is with paper charts. Having said that I would not be without my computer backup of charts. Before I venture to anywhere outside my normal realm of boating I check for revisions and update my paper charts. It is great to be able to connect to a GPS and see exactly where I am on computerized charts

I use the bluecharts in my garmin.I buy from gpscentral.ca. But West marine will match their prices if you prefer buying locally.

I should have said that my GPS is a Garmin. Garmin used to license Navionics cartography data and formatted their own chips sold as G-Charts. Garmin now uses their own cartography.

I have used blue charts for several years now. For the most part they are pretty darn good, however I have found they are not 100 per cent full proof. IT is always wise to use paper charts to confirm things when you are fishing in close. Two years ago I was fishing off the West Coast of Washington close into shore. The GPS showed no rocks where I was at. Then all of sudden the depth finder showed a rock three feet under the boat. I looked over the side and it was a enormous, ugly looking thing. Luckily the wave action was almost nil or I could have bottomed out! For general navigation the blue charts are great, but not the good for motoring near rocks. Hope this helps. ;)

Back