Black Boxes......do they really work?

D

davidw

Im curious from the experience of some of the guides or others , thoughts on this. I have never owned owned one.... I always seem to do as well as anyone.. but do they really give you a leg up... thanks for your thoughts:)

you can do a search using "black box" and you will find a whole
lot of different opinions.
The bottom line is your boat's electrical potential.
If your boat's electrical is between .5 and .7 milivolts
you probably don't need one.
i had a problem with an older outboard at one time and the boat stopped catching fish. the addition of the black box helped
the situation.

Any way to test or is an ever changing thing.... depending on Zinc conditions, different electronics being on ect??

You need to have a voltmeter that will read millivolts. Connect one lead of the voltmeter to the negative of your battery and the other lead to the wire of your downrigger at your downrigger with the line down 50 or more feet.
You will find that depending on where you are, a long inlet, open ocean or where a freshwater river enters that the value changes. Cleaning your zincs and what electronics are on will also affect the reading.

I would like to know which black box people like better: Scotty Black Box or Pro-Troll Black Box?

I asked a couple different people at the Seattle Boat Show (a couple months ago) and the response I got was that Pro-Troll black boxes are cheaper, but they are cheaper for a reason. They started outsourcing parts to China and the quality is poor. They are on their third generation of black boxes and the two earlier versions have been known to catch fire. I don't know if this last one is true.

Talking with the Scotty guys (obviously biased, but backed by data) said that they measured the ouput voltage of their black box vs. the pro-troll black box. They said that the pro-troll black box has spikes in its output. This, in turn, may scare off any fish that are following your setup.

The way I look at it is, if we spend all the money in the boat, electronics, gear, and fuel...why skimp when it comes to buying a black box? I guess if I was going to buy one, I would go SCOTTY!

ok i have what may seem like dumb question, but i am not really familiar with volt meters, i have one that does acv, dcv, dca etc, where do i set if for millevolts, i think i was asleep or at coffee with the girls that day in high school[:0] lol
any help is appreciated

quote:Originally posted by Cornfed

I would like to know which black box people like better: Scotty Black Box or Pro-Troll Black Box?

$129.00 vs $599.00 !!!
with the cost of electronics today, i don't know how Scotty
can charge that much for a black box

Just do what your doing Sean your fishing fine in that little boat of yours!!!!!

Wolf

tks wolf, i just got a different boat that i have not done the wiring in so i just wanted to check my voltage, i wont be buying a black box anytime soon dont worry, lol, to each their own they say, but like you i have never used one and do just fine

AWWWWWW just got used to looking at that one now what do you have BIGGER???????I can check it for you once we get out to sooke and salmon fishing.

wolf

roy my last one (one posted for sale) was bigger than the little blue aluminum that you might have been used to seeing me in, my lastest edition is 16.5 double eagle, early 70's new floor strigners solid, it is blue as well , with a 115 v4 Johnson on the back, i do have to wire my riggers and put in some different seats then i am good to go, then i can follow you all over your fav spots, lol

I have a black box, its more often then not a PITA. Big trollers with many lines down, yea probably a big help. Small sport fishing boat,.. maybe not so. Caught my 54'b spring with the black box off. The Jury's still out for me.

r.s. craven - Who is charging that price for a Scotty Black box? The boat show price was $100 for a Pro-Troll and $300 for a Scotty. This is in U.S. dollars,but the exchange isn't that different anymore.

sorry i was wrong,[:I] should be $429.00

Item Description / Options Price
Scotty - No. 1201 Black Box
Maximize your downrigger's fishing potential! It has been proven that many species of fish have a strong sensitivity to electrical energy in the water. Salmon, trout and sharks are among these. Galvan $429.95

Back