big bank in barkley sound

W

wetbeaver

Were are all the fish, just spent two whole days on the bank and all I could catch were 4-12 pound springs, not many coho,but a sh** load off bottom fish. Never seen any even nice fish caught never mind big ones.I fished at 27 mile on the first day, and 25 on the second. Very unlike any other time I have been out there.Anybody with any explenations because I am baffled.But still had a great time the weather was awsome and next to no wind or fog.

I was just about to post that wetty, I also wonder why the halibut were biting the hootchies none stop at 160 in 250 feet of water you could not keep them off does this not seem weird ?
That was 4 to 12 pound springs, and lots of them it got boring very fast.

Fished at the big bank Sunday morning. Fishing was phenomenal. No big fish, but many, many springs in the teens and twenties. Coho were hitting the gear before we could get it down. Biggest coho was 17 pounds, biggest spring was mid twenties. Other boats I saw were having the same results. Maybe we just happened to hit them at the right time and place.
We also picked up halibut shallow...135 feet in 210 feet of water.

If you where catching too many little fish I would try to use bigger bait/lures. You might have to wait longer for it to go off, but it'll probly be worth the wait. ;)

Catching Halibut at 135 ft in 200+ feet of water...and the problem is?

What are the way points for the halibut?
How far out were the COHO and do you have the way points?

how far out maybe i didnt go far enough? I was fishing with quit a few other boats and didint really see anybody with anything worth while. Wish I was were you were!!!I would have given my left arm for a fish in the teens never mind a mid twenties. And it sounds like there were lots of coho, and thats the way i remember it out there.Looks like I need some new coordinates!! I have a charter booked for saturday with some guys who I would really like to fill the boat for. Any more info for me will help. I also launch out of port alberni is that crazy!!Is it closer for me to launch out nof uki?

It is WAY closer to launch from UCI.. you would save about 60 miles in fuel as well. There is no way you would burn that much hauling out there. I only went out to Big Bank once this year. I talked with a few local Natives and they put me on to 5/7/12 mile banks an the furthest I ever needed to go to load the boat up was 12 miles after that! There seems to be lots of springs in the Sound right now too. I shudder to think of how many fish you would pass on a run out to the Bank right now. We where into about 40 spring hookups During the Derby, took home 19. The bigger fish just started showing up there so keep that in mind. Don't get me wrong I know that some days on the Banks are totally unforgetable, but with this many fish around inside I would have a hard time venturing out unless I was tageting Hali's.

If you where to target COHO on the fly were would you launch ?
1) Ucluelet
2) Bamfield
3) Poett nook
4) China Creek

We are going to get my boat in Tofino on sept 13 (if no fish in Tofino) and go were ever the best chances are in catching large COHO on the Fly.

was outr on sunday at the shallow spot, a few coho around,tons of halibut(oh my god i never thought i would be saying this but what a pain in the BUTT) and a few feeder springs, lost one beside the boat i figured to be about 40# and another that i never seen which was also a good one lots of boats!!! anybody been fishing in closer tried at 10 and 12 mile with no success. were are all the big fish that the banks are known for at this time of year?

Fished big bank Saturday

Targeted Coho only. Limited out in a couple hours. Biggest was a whopping 24 pounds. Also picked up a couple 15's. All in all it was a great couple hours fishing.
Tried heading out again Sunday, but 2.4 m seas and 18 knot winds forced us to Swale and Gibralter. Managed to pick up 2 springs and 1 coho.

Back