Beware! Scammer alert

Hot-Streak

I posted about wanting to buy a fish finder.

I got PM from this guy in the pic below said to email is friend.

I email the friend and get a suspicious email.

I go back and check the profile of the member here who sent me the message and it's a new account with no post.

Be careful of offers from the USA ok a BC fishing forum.Screenshot_20211028-051921.png

I have removed the account. We review all new members on a regular basis, but they sometimes slip through and post or message members before we have had the opportunity to remove spam accounts. In the future, if you receive something suspicious or a post seems like spam, it is best to use the report mechanism or be sure to use the @ symbol before typing admin, as this will trigger an alert notification for me. When you do this it will look like this. @Admin.

Brian

Same, i created a post "WTB MR3" He responded. exchanged a couple emails. He sent me a photo from google and asked for $350 shipped from the USA. Beware everyone.

Based on what I have seen in other forums, this is a pretty common scam attempt. Typically when you say you want to buy something, then you get a PM with "my friend/uncle/cousin/father.....has" the precise item you are looking for and an email address to get hold of them. If you do reply you are now out of the confines of the forum and you can expect if you send some money you will never see the product. They will want PayPal "friends and family", or some other method of payment (including e-transfer in Canada) where you have no recourse if things go sour.

I played a guy once when selling a boat. it was fun he sent me a check and on the bottom it was from Pen State University! I had it on my garage wall for a while. Another guy had a Whaler for sale in Alaska ( Copied add) so I said great I fly there all the time.... afer that no response. they are out there!

That is an old scam. But it’s multi-layered. If these guys are really nasty, once you respond and say you’re interested, they have your email address and can do lots of mischief

I just listed a pair of skis on Craigslist. Any serious Craigslist Seller will include a phone number which I always do—- many prospective buyers want to communicate via text or phone, and if by phone, I can learn a lot about the guy I’m dealing with by hearing his voice and the wording he uses

So, within 5 minutes of posting the add, I received three different texts from three different scammers, each one providing an email address and requesting that I contact them via email

So, if I had, they’d have both my phone number and an email address. IF you do a quick search, it is breathtaking what a sophisticated scammer can do once he has those two pieces of your private life

when in doubt usually 2 minutes on the phone will let you know if the person is legit on what they are selling or maybe just bat **** crazy. If someone won't talk to you on the phone then ya gotta figure it's a major red flag. Never buy something that they don't personally own!

Back