Best way to keep moisture out of my boat?

Proud new owner of a 2012 Double Eagle 185 here. Just picked up the boat today and overall it's in great shape however there is lots of moisture in the cuddy headliner and hatches, light pooling in the hatches. Haven't been able to explore yet if there is a leak in the cuddy hatch yet or if it's just from condensation. Boat has been sitting for over a year. Canvas is in good shape but headliner in cuddy is quite wet and general high moisture in the cockpit. Any tips or suggestions on removing the moisture and keeping it dry? Wondering if I need a heater, dehumidifier, crystals, or some combination? Any specific brands/sizes/models to consider? The boat is on a trailer and I have access to electricity but it will continue to be stored outside for a couple months until I set up a more permanent cover. I want to give it the love it deserves. Thanks in advance and apologies for the green question, my last boat was a small tinny.

Last edited:
Dehumidifiers work very well above 8'.
At this point you need heat, air movement and dehumidifier.
Get any cushions and soft stuff out of the boat.
Once dry, you might have a chance of tracing the water ingress. Hopefully it was just put away wet.

Proud new owner of a 2012 Double Eagle 185 here. Just picked up the boat today and overall it's in great shape however there is lots of moisture in the cuddy headliner and hatches, light pooling in the hatches. Haven't been able to explore yet if there is a leak in the cuddy hatch yet or if it's just from condensation. Boat has been sitting for over a year. Canvas is in good shape but headliner in cuddy is quite wet and general high moisture in the cockpit. Any tips or suggestions on removing the moisture and keeping it dry? Wondering if I need a heater, dehumidifier, crystals, or some combination? Any specific brands/sizes/models to consider? The boat is on a trailer and I have access to electricity but it will continue to be stored outside for a couple months until I set up a more permanent cover. I want to give it the love it deserves. Thanks in advance and apologies for the green question, my last boat was a small tinny.
Pm sent

Try to find a rectangle plastic tote a bit larger than the hatch & place it under the hatch to catch water - will tell you if you have a leak. Electric space heater with fan - be careful.

Have been using these since the 70's they really help ! two in the boat moored or stored , two in the camper. Regards
I also use the Dri Z Air, except I modified an ice cream bucket so that the pellets would hang from a cheese cloth bag. In addition to that I put a couple dehumidifiers in the boat. Never had a moisture problem. The air has to be able to flow don't make things air tight.
caframo-dehumidifier.png

Have been using these since the 70's they really help ! two in the boat moored or stored , two in the camper. Regards
I also use the Dri Z Air, except I modified an ice cream bucket so that the pellets would hang from a cheese cloth bag. In addition to that I put a couple dehumidifiers in the boat. Never had a moisture problem. The air has to be able to flow don't make things air tight.
View attachment 61172

Avoid too much heat. Just an old school trouble light or the 60 watt Caframo. Fans and a bit of air exchange is good. Lift the cushions and leave everything inside open (drawers, compartments, fridge, closets) so air can circulate. Also use Drizair - it works great. Just dump the water once every two or three weeks. Definitely fix the leaks if you have any.

Only heat it up big time if you are using a dehumidifier.
Cold air does not hold moisture.
Fans/Air Movers get the moisture into the warm air and then the dehum does its job.

Once you have dried out the cuddy, then I would suggest lower heat, passive dehum through drizair.
The drip tray below the hatch is a great idea to trace the leak.

If the headliner/womb fuzz has the funk and/or mold, I find that Borax does a great job taking it out.

Avoid too much heat. Just an old school trouble light or the 60 watt Caframo. Fans and a bit of air exchange is good. Lift the cushions and leave everything inside open (drawers, compartments, fridge, closets) so air can circulate. Also use Drizair - it works great. Just dump the water once every two or three weeks. Definitely fix the leaks if you have any.
Where do you get a 60 w incandescent bulb these days? All I can find are LED

Where do you get a 60 w incandescent bulb these days? All I can find are LED
I have a few rough duty bulbs on hand so I haven't bought one lately. The small halogen bulbs will also produce heat. I have seen those for sale.

Weird I haven't seen the halogen bulbs either. I had a quick look at Rona and Home Despot, they didn't seem to have them. now that doesn't mean that I didn't look right at them and not see them, cuz that's never happened before:rolleyes:

Back