Best smoker's

Thought about getting a PID digital thermometer for my analog Bradley smoker, but I have a good quality digital thermometer already and I will use this instead to regulate the temp more accurately. Much cheaper with similar results.
https://buythermopro.com/product/tp826x/
The PID (Proportional - Integrative - Derivative) controller is a different beast altogether. It controls the heater element using a control feedback algorithm to keep the temperature to a much higher degree of accuracy than the Bradley controller.

The Thermopro is just a simple, albeit fancy, thermometer. Great for telling you when your food is done (I use one for that purpose), but if you need/want to maintain a stable temperature in the smoker then the PID is the only way to go. With the Bradley controller the temp will fluctuate 10 - 20 deg F on each heating cycle.

True, but my goal is to have a more accurate internal temp reading when using the smoker. I don't stick the probe in the meat let it dangle in the smoker like the PID probe does and then monitor it and adjust the internal temp as needed. Both methods ultimately achieve the same end - a more accurate internal temp to smoke things - they just go about this in different ways.

I have the same smoker, but also have a PID which allows for more precise programmable temperature control.
I’ve been using the 4 rack digital for 12 years (with extra inverted racks), great for everything I’ve done with the exception of heavy loads (I.e 8 racks of snack sticks/ sausage) . One mod that made a big difference was adding a fan, helps even out the smoke/heat etc (lots of threads on the Bradley forum).

If I’m smoking something I prefer to do as much in one shot as possible, this thread got me thinking about upping my game. The P10 looks nice, however no bigger than my current 4 rack digital. I would likely get the 6- rack Bradley (using inverted racks for salmon/snack sticks for a total of 12), add a second heating element, add twin circ fans and the Auber PID. Seems like a lot of extra to get a smoker to the ideal state, not sure if anyone else has done this or has a better suggestion for large capacity?

Could build my own out of an old fridge or something I suppose but that would be even more effort, finding and fitting appropriate food grade racks etc

I bought a used bradley cabinet with trays from a guy after the digital part had failed. Then bought the Auber PID https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72

and then an AMAZN pellet tray,
View attachment 97050

plus an assortment of pellets from A-MAZE-N also.
Works great, precise temps.

I also grabbed another 4 trays off Amazon for a total of 8.
Very interesting… the price of the Bradley pucks always bugged me. Pellets seem a lot cheaper, you’re happy with the smoke quality?
This is likely the most economic route- keep an eye out for cheap Bradley cabinet (with a digital failure) toss the generator, upgrade to the PID (and larger or extra heating element if required). Nice share Wondermur.

What's the best brine recipe? How long to soak?
4 hour intense brine. Soy , maple syrup , 2cups kosher , 2 cups brown sugar , 4 liters of water. Rinse . Overnight to pellicle. 4 hours in the big Chief with apple wood smoke every 30 minutes. It’s a winner!

For large springs - Dry brine of 1 3/4 cups coarse salt, 1 bag brown sugar, 1 bag demerara.
At least 48 hours in a cooler with ice bottles holding things down once it turns to liquid before drying.

IMG_0505.pngIMG_0504.pngIMG_0503.png
I built mine. Designed around the jerky racks I found at a retail store. Plywood, lined with stainless. I use a $20 single electric burner and steel pan, for the chips. I also put a hole in the side, at the bottom, to pipe in cold smoke. I’ve used a Bradley and I’m too cheap to buy the pucks. We used an aluminum tart cup, with the bottom cut out, and placed it on the Bradley heat element. This way could use the regular chips. But you have to replace the chips hourly.

Go BIG or go home!!!!! racks are old oven racks EASY VERY easy to build...
I built mine. Designed around the jerky racks I found at a retail store. Plywood, lined with stainless. I use a $20 single electric burner and steel pan, for the chips. I also put a hole in the side, at the bottom, to pipe in cold smoke. I’ve used a Bradley and I’m too cheap to buy the pucks. We used an aluminum tart cup, with the bottom cut out, and placed it on the Bradley heat element. This way could use the regular chips. But you have to replace the chips hourly.
Lol, just what I need, another project! Do love seeing the ideas… perhaps a winter project (well next winter once my boat is perfect 😉).

Perhaps I’ll start collecting oven racks and do a blend of wolf and coyotes’ ideas! Then use the silicon mats on the oven racks when I do salmon! Great ideas all around.

It is an easy project and well worth it if you are going to do much smoking.
And no doubt Roy (blue wolf) will, as usual ,be there if you need any advice.
Don't get me wrong when I say "smoking". Fish and meat is what I am referring to.
I had one for years, but needed the space when I was only using it a few times a year.

I guess I'm the first guy to comment that is currently using a charcoal smoker? In my case the Napoleon Apollo, which is a knock off of the Webber Smokey Mountain. Its basically a 3 part barrel smoker, and if you take the top 2 parts off and crank the fire you can use it as a charcoal grill as well. While I do think the charcoal and burning wood chunks instead of chips gives you a deeper smoke, I'm not a snob about it - and I didn't go this route based on taste/performance/principal.

I ended up here because of a bad experience with a Masterbilt digital model. Had 3 controllers crap out within 2 years. To their credit they kept sending me new ones even after the warranty expired, but that doesn't help you when you just loaded it up and started a smoke and the thing dies after the first 30 minutes and won't turn on again. So after the 3rd one died mid-smoke I heaved the whole thing 20 feet down my driveway and rage bought the charcoal one, lol. "Nothing digital about f**king FIRE!" I think I remember swearing.

However I'll admit the digital when working was a lot more convenient, and by extension I ended up using it a lot more. The charcoal is a full day commitment usually, and if I do a brisket or something that takes a long time I often end up finishing it in the oven when the coal burns out. And the unit I have is not sealed particularly well, so lots of heat and smoke escape. So its not perfect either by any means. I'll probably end up back at digital again at some point, when my laziness overtakes my frustrations with modern technology.

I guess I'm the first guy to comment that is currently using a charcoal smoker? In my case the Napoleon Apollo, which is a knock off of the Webber Smokey Mountain. Its basically a 3 part barrel smoker, and if you take the top 2 parts off and crank the fire you can use it as a charcoal grill as well. While I do think the charcoal and burning wood chunks instead of chips gives you a deeper smoke, I'm not a snob about it - and I didn't go this route based on taste/performance/principal.

I ended up here because of a bad experience with a Masterbilt digital model. Had 3 controllers crap out within 2 years. To their credit they kept sending me new ones even after the warranty expired, but that doesn't help you when you just loaded it up and started a smoke and the thing dies after the first 30 minutes and won't turn on again. So after the 3rd one died mid-smoke I heaved the whole thing 20 feet down my driveway and rage bought the charcoal one, lol. "Nothing digital about f**king FIRE!" I think I remember swearing.

However I'll admit the digital when working was a lot more convenient, and by extension I ended up using it a lot more. The charcoal is a full day commitment usually, and if I do a brisket or something that takes a long time I often end up finishing it in the oven when the coal burns out. And the unit I have is not sealed particularly well, so lots of heat and smoke escape. So its not perfect either by any means. I'll probably end up back at digital again at some point, when my laziness overtakes my frustrations with modern technology.
You don't need digital for convenience. I converted my dynaglo to natural gas and it's a set it and forget deal as well. I use the vented chip trays for smoke and the gas for heat. The nice part is I can get the thing up to 400 degrees if I wanted because it has two burners. One burner at low is a steady 90 degrees so perfect for cold smoking. I'm an actual charcoal snob too, but I'm not an idiot. A single brisket or just a couple racks of ribs on the primo ceramic can't be touched by the dynaglo. The ceramic grills make charcoal use a lot nicer because you're burning so much less charcoal and have way better heat control. One load can run 16-18 hours no problem. They do require a bit of supervision though.

You don't need digital for convenience. I converted my dynaglo to natural gas and it's a set it and forget deal as well. I use the vented chip trays for smoke and the gas for heat. The nice part is I can get the thing up to 400 degrees if I wanted because it has two burners. One burner at low is a steady 90 degrees so perfect for cold smoking. I'm an actual charcoal snob too, but I'm not an idiot. A single brisket or just a couple racks of ribs on the primo ceramic can't be touched by the dynaglo. The ceramic grills make charcoal use a lot nicer because you're burning so much less charcoal and have way better heat control. One load can run 16-18 hours no problem. They do require a bit of supervision though.
How did you convert to nat gas? just drill out the orifice? I have been planning on doing this to my propane smoker also.

View attachment 97845View attachment 97846View attachment 97847
That looks awesome! I’m thinking about taking this project on… where did you get your steel for the inside and about how much do you think it cost you? I don’t have a lot of tools or experience with working with this type of material... did they cut it for you? what did you use for your rack supports? (Can’t really see from pic) Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thx!

That looks awesome! I’m thinking about taking this project on… where did you get your steel for the inside and about how much do you think it cost you? I don’t have a lot of tools or experience with working with this type of material... did they cut it for you? what did you use for your rack supports? (Can’t really see from pic) Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thx!
I did this too once upon a time, it ended up costing me close to the same as buying a gas one online. Not worth the effort. If you're going for industrial size or if you get all of your material for free and you're retired, have at er.

I see this has since gone up. I paid $450. But still it's as big as most will ever need.

Back